Do you like where you live?

LC

Seriously... do you like where you live? Not that I'm thinking of relocating, but... sometime in the future I might.

I grew up in western NY State and western PA, and as an adult have lived in southern NH; Richmond, VA; and eastern MA (not too far from Boston). All have their plusses, but... I liked Virginia the best. The weather was absolutely ideal (four seasons, but just a taste of winter followed by a really long spring, hot summer, and sweet autumn). There's a lot of history and culture in Virginia, too. And the people seemed a little more friendly.... Not to insult New Englanders in any way, but... there are a lot of ol'-time Yankees here, and some of 'em see people as "outsiders" if they and their families haven't lived in the area for generations. The autumns are breathtaking here, and I like being kind of close to the ocean, and sports is a big thing. On the other hand, is there any city more maddening than Boston when it comes to roads and traffic?

So... do you like where you live? As in, you like it so much that you'll never leave it?

Lsrry - Agree about Richmond...the rest of my family lives there now, having moved South from Fairfax County about 5 years ago. I'm still 20 miles south of DC in Lorton, VA (Fairfax Co.), but will probably wind up down there as well. You're only 90 minutes from a big city (DC), there isn't much snow there, not much rush hour traffic, it's only an hour from Williamsburg (and Busch Gardens), and you can drive anywhere via I-95. Also, it's not really the deep South down there....but just enough of the south as far as the food and friendliness of the people.

(Plus For The Love of Chocolate, the best candy store I've ever seen, is there in Carytoww, as is Plan 9, a much better CD/record store than anything in DC!)

larry,

Have you been to California? I live in San Diego, which I do like, but once my son finishes High School I would like to move to central California. Especially the San Luis Obispo area. My ex-husbands brother has lived there for over 20 years and so I have visited many, many times. It has been voted one of the top places to live in the US more than once. It has great weather like we have in San Diego, but MUCH less crowded. People are incredibly friendly.

I LOVE it there!!!!

Not sure if you were considering the west coast, but if you are, check it out. It is beautiful!

http://www.sanluisobispocounty.com/

Anna

Don't even think about Las Vegas... nothing real here. The thing I like best is the weather from Sept to May. June through August is very hot - triple digits - and it's starting to get to me now. The sun shines most days, and I love that too.

But, there's no culture, no ethics bad medicine and nothing that stands for excellence... a very mediocre lifestyle for most...

San Diego sounds wonderful.

I lived in Montreal (the New York / Paris of Canada) for 38 years. Nothing beats Mtl for culture, arts, sports...you name it, Mtl has it. It's also just a short car ride from some beautiful areas in Vermont, New Hampshire, New York / NJ State and New England, all areas that we frequented many times. Too bad that the province of Quebec has been awash in political divisions for over 300 years, otherwise NO ONE would leave Quebec. I never dreamed that I'd ever move. Alas, work opportunities brought me and my family to the other side of Canada, Calgary, in 1998. Completely different as far as culture and arts go from Mtl, but filled with incredible scenery. Will we move again? Who knows, but I've learned to never to say 'never.'

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and lived in NYC (Manhattan), London & Philadelphia all before age 30. From there it was Northern Jersey until age 35. Since then (15 years) it's been Naples, FL.

The big cities offer so much, especially for an active single person who enjoys the nightlife...which I certainly did! But the city could be difficult to say the least to raise a family.

Naples is beautiful with the weather being just darn perfect from November through April. May through October is brutally hot,humid and coupled with the threat of hurricanes...wooohooo!

Coming from NYC, the culture virtually anywhere will be lacking...but Naples takes that futility to new depths. Even with fun museums, the Philharmonic and some great restaurants.... the cultural scene is very limited.

Although I LOVE the beach, I miss snow...and four distinct seasons. Luckily we do get North often to satisfy that need.

I guess I should just have homes in Naples, Orange Co CA, Napa Valley CA, Manhattan, London, Montreal, Maui and.................oh yes....Cleveland. laugh

John

If Princeton, NJ was on beach, it'd be perfect. And since nothing is...I guess it's as good as it gets. Having grown up in a preppy Massachusetts town (20 miles from the beach), I never thought I'd become a Jersey fanatic...but here I am! Ask Darlene, she'll tell ya, Princeton has it all. College town (with manners!), great eats, a truly walkable downtown. It looks like a New England town. It's half way between NYC and Philly. We get both city's TV and radio stations. We get both city's culture, sports and accents. As we ustah say in Andovah, Mass 'it's a wicked pissah great place to live'.

Dave

I was born in Rhode Island, and left there when I was 21....I hated the cold weather, and the snow...I moved to Oxnard, CA....it was ok, but I really didn't care for it...I lived there 2 years. we then moved to San Diego, CA...Hubby and I both loved it there...the beaches, shopping, seaport village....it was beautifull..we would still be living there, if hubby didn't get transfered....we ended up back in R.I. for 8 years, and then moved to FT. Myers Florida.....I love Florida...you can wear shorts all year long...it gets cool in the winter, but nothing like up north...we would move back to California in a heartbeat, but our kids and grandkids are here, and I don't want to be that far away from them.

Not sure if you want to stay on the east part of town, but the California coasts are very weather-friendly (was born and raised there). Only thing is, some of the storms could wash right up to your front door. Indifferent

To answer your question though, I do love where I am living. When my son goes off to college I'm not sure where I'll be. My little house is paid for so maybe I'll just stay here and travel the world, don't know.

Except for 10 months in 2005 when I lived in Fernandina Beach, Fl, I've lived here my entire life. Sometimes I think I would love to live somewhere else, but my roots are here and my kids have never really known anything else. We go on vacations, but this is home. My family came here from Kentucky in the early 1800's and they're all buried here. I've watched this town grow from something sort of like Mayberry to what it is now. When I was young, you could drive through the main part of town and see cows and pastures. Now it's shopping centers and restaurants.

The weather is good--the summers can get really hot, but the winters are fairly mild with a few cold snaps and not much snow. Every now and then we get a real snow and everything shuts down. We have lots of lakes, woods and mountains which make for beautiful autumns.

Sometimes, though, I wish I lived somewhere more exciting with more to do. There is absolutely no nightlife here--unless you want to go to Walmart. Indifferent But the crime rate is low and the people are friendly and real estate is still reasonable. The area is attracting a lot of retirees.

I suppose it's not a bad place to be--just kind of dull sometimes.

I actually do like where I live. Geographically speaking I feel like I'm in the perfect spot. I'm 7 miles west of lower Manhattan...just a little trek through the Holland Tunnel and there I am. Hoboken is about 10 minutes away. If you want the shore....it's about an hour and 10 minute drive. If you like the Poconos...that's an hour and a half ride. You can get to lots of cool places from Bayonne, N.J. in a relatively short time. That's Exit 14A on the Jersey Turnpike folks!! LOL laugh

I'm not thrilled with where I live, although this residence was always known to be temporary and as such, it's fine. Fortunately we're in the midst of moving back to NH which, hopefully, will be our last long distance move.

It's a great corner of NH (Hanover, or Hanovah as the locals call it) with easy access to Boston, Montreal, VT, New England, and even NYC. Great outdoor activities, lots of culture, and thriving, fun people.

I've lived in NC and coming from NYC, the lack of visual stimulation drove me nuts. NC is a beautiful state, even though parts of it strongly detest "Yankees". If I weren't attached to NH, I'd seriously consider VA --another gorgeous state, easily accessible, with good culture and folks.

Anne

I like where I live. I moved to Vancouver from Stockton Ca in the late 70s. And it was a good thing. Loved Cal while I was there, but Stockton is a pretty rough town.

Vancouver is located across the Columbia River from Portland Oregon. I like having Portland just a few miles away, but not living there.

Vancouver is a clean, and very livable city, but it has grown tremendously. I think the people in Portland are actually more friendly.

The weather is often of the damp variety, but it keeps it nice and green up here. Snow is rare, but I think we'll get some by the end of the weekend. Summer is really nice here, mostly in the 80s with low humidity.

I feel too damned isolated up here sometimes though. Takes forever to get anywhere. Like to a Raspberries show.

I was born and raised in New York (Queens) and the family moved to Long Island in 1966 and that’s where I’ve stayed. The part of Long Island where I live is fine for me, just a regular residential area. Everything is close by and it’s not an expedition if I need to venture out to get anything. The beaches are about a half hour drive, but the bay is only 15 minutes from here. I love the fact that it’s only 25 minutes by train to NYC and the train station is within walking distance. I don’t think I could ever move out of NY. I’m a “City Girl†and love the hustle and bustle, the shopping, the sights and the culture. There is ALWAYS something to do in the city.

It's great to read what everyone has to say. What a super thread!

Ok, I was born just outside of Philly and spent the first 9 years in my life in Warminster, PA. All I remember is...I was in love with Paul McCartney and he got married and I hated him! lol

For the next 5 years, San Antonio, TX where I introduced to Mexican culture because of my new best friends. (We are still friends!) I loved the weather and the schooling.

Then 2 years in Haddon Twp., NJ where I discovered the Bay City Rollers and fell in love with the song Let's Pretend that they covered. I LOVED my life there!

Then off to Orange County, CA when I was 16...and this folks is where my heart is. I love it here. The weather, the people, the culture.

Today as I walked along the walk way in Laguna Beach, I came across an artist painting. I thought his "view" of Laguna was new and breath taking, so I told him. After spending 15 minutes speaking with him I went to walk away...he said, "What's your name, I just have to say it." I told him and he whispered it. I thought, this is brilliant! It was so perfect, sooooo California! heartpump

I've loved everywhere in California that I have lived. First 25 years in a SoCal beach town. Could probably get together with Wendy and list a 100 reasons why LuvLove Spent the next 20 years in the mountains about 2 hours from L.A. Rolling grass hills and oak trees everywhere. The 4 seasons, modified by SoCal weather. Nice. Last 10 years, Camarillo, considered the southernmost end of Central California. Still get the beach weather, minus most of the hubbub of L.A. Surrounded by farmland- a nice greenbelt- no other cities butt up against Camarillo. A really nice town. I guess I'm just a California kind of guy smile

My answer is "YES", I do like where I live. Although my heart will always belong to the breathtaking Colorado mountains, where I spent the first 40 years of my life, living on the east coast for the past several years has been a real adventure !!!! I live in the suburbs between Baltimore, Maryland and Washington, DC. Takes about 25 min. to get to the White House (not that I've ever been invited.... wink ), and about 20 minutes to get to work at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. With the museums in DC, the ocean near by, and the huge variety of cultural activities always available, there's always something interesting to do !

The downside....traffic !

I really like where I live. It's a little town of less than 1000 and I've lived within 5 miles of here all my life I'm within a half hour drive from the University of Illinois and attend many sports and other events there. I'm also within 2 1/2 hours of Chicago,St. Louis, and Indianapolis and usually make to all three at least once a year.