What would you do if.............

raspberrywolf

What would you do if you had a chance to go back in time and were given two choices:

1) either you could change one thing in your past that you may now regret

or

2) you could change the future directly with what you now know...ie (Invent Microsoft,buy stock in Microsoft,Invent the artificial heart, cure certain types of disease ...you get the idea)

Give it some thought....

ok ok ok Vera....on a serious note..I'd have stayed away from back seats and gone on to Harvard where I'd have completed law school and I'd now be one heck of a criminal defense attorney for the under priviledged freeing innocent people on death row :-))

But pole dancing sounds much more fun doesn't it?? spinspinspin

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Margaux:

<strong> And one more thing..I'd win the Iditarod race and work for National Geographic studying in both the arctic and the antarctic and I'd marry Eric Carmen...and drag him off to my igloo under force if necessary crazy

When I think about it, there are a thousand things I'd change. But the reality is, mistakes and all, I wouldn't trade where I'm at, and where I'm going for anything.

P.S. Pole dancing on some levels is exotic, but it is hard work, and you get a lot of rashes. Though the pay was good.

cool

P.S. Pole dancing on some levels is exotic, but it is hard work, and you get a lot of rashes. Though the pay was good.

cool

So... just how much pole dancing have you done, James? I'd load up on dollar bills to see Margaux at work, but you? Uh-uh.... That George Bush tattoo on your backside would distract me.... smile

(hee hee hee... just teasing you, my friend....)

Yeah well, LC, first you got the wrong Bush (the tattoo is of Barbara - Bush 1's wife).

And secondly, I'm sorry about what happened to you when you came into the girls only place where I was working the pole thing. The bouncers warned you that it was a female only place, but you were adamant that you would not be discriminated against because you are male (you're always a good progressive, even in a crisis). You insisted that you were going to see "some beefcakes", come hell or high water (nothing wrong with that of course).

Anyway, I tried to stop them, but by the time I got to the door, the bouncers had already given you the horizontal heave ho..

frown

Allright, 2 specific regrets:

1. I was offerred a job to teach tennis in Washington D.C. at a country club attended by politician wives and kids etc. It was the summer of 1977, I'd just graduated and was in to my girlfriend something fierce. I wasn't a great tennis player (I was good), but understood the game, and I think that's why they offerred the position to me. I'm not convinced I made the wrong decision staying home, but it would have been a great experience to live in the capital for a summer.

2. Had the opportunity to study in Australia for a semester (school and parents provided the means), and I didn't do it. Was having too much fun in college. Bad, bad decision.

Raspberrywolf, if Ihad the chance again I would practise my piano lessons more and shovel snow im my neighbourhood during childhood. I mean, just the fact that I took lessons in the first place got me A's in Grade 7 music class, so why not get better at the 88-key beauty? I inherited it four years ago, and it's still at my parents' house, but I'd LOVE to play Raspberries and other songs on that!

Therefore, I'd be a better player and have the money to buy Raspberries sheet music!

Oh, I'd also choose different fathers for my children, but I wuldn't trade them for the world.

About twenty years ago, I took some advise from a former college professor, who moonlighted as a music magazine editor, to turn down a musical offer presented to me because his "contacts in the industry" never heard of the guy offering them to me. I found out a year or so later that the guy who wanted to work with me was instrumental in the careers of Kenny Rogers and Lionel Richie. Hmmm? Think I'd like that decision back?

During my last semester of college, the US Air Force was persistently trying to recruit me to sign up to be a communications officer. I wanted to serve, but I didn't think I was disciplined enough to survive in the military. In retrospect, I think I was wrong. Had I done it, I would be retired and on my second career now.

Other than healing those I might have hurt along the way..especially in the 80's..............I would not have changed a thing. Each bump and mistake along the way has helped strengthen my character....and if I hadn't experienced the lows from long ago...I wouldn't have the highs of today. I'd still be a Wall St schmuck chasing the almighty dollar.

So through divorce, addiction, homelessness, incarceration and depression I've moved on to helping others, having a family, building a new career and life, being incredibly healthy and truly blessed and loved. The comforts of life actually do follow peace of mind...or maybe that IS in fact the comfort of life.

Therefore I wouldn't change a thing. pray

Okay..maybe I would've bought more property in SW FL in the 90's......okay...maybe the tinted contact lenses in 1987 was foolish as well.

John

Reading through these posts it's rather staggering to see how deep, talented, and intelligent this board is! Quite inspiring!

With the exception of John, most of us have reflected on a professional level. Is anyone willing to reflect on a personal one? I'll get the ball rolling. I wish I would have attempted to understand the concept of taking care of myself sooner. I wonder how I've influenced my daughters and daughters-in-law? I've taught them to be made of titanium like me and stand up to anything and keep pushing forward no matter what. But in looking back I wonder if I've done them a disservice in not teaching them how to take care of themselves and regroup so they can keep moving forward in a saner, healthier way --- THEN take no prisoners! I'm trying to teach them now by my consequences and changes so that they don't follow my footsteps THAT far!

I am VERY interested in reading more posts here on these subjects and I do hope more will post...it is like having a clearer view of everyone on here and the more I read, the more I am honored to get to know Each and Everyone!! I still haven't myself found a way to answer my own question except to say that I have gone through some very traumatic things in my life and have realized a couple of things 1)It is all too often that we 'USE PEOPLE and LOVE THINGS'; when instead we should ' USE THINGS and LOVE PEOPLE!' The other is that I believe 'HOPE' to be mankind's "Reason D'etre"(reason for being) for what are we as humanity if we do not have hope? It is the one aspect that binds the homeless person to the most affluent of people..both have nothing without having hope...but hey that is just my humble opinion.

Hmmmmmm.... I turned down the chance to go to UK and work for the Tyrrell Formula 1 team. That would have been awesome. But then if I'd done that I might not have meet Kiwi.

Because I have a great job that I love (pay's not good but you know....) great kids and Grand kids AND of course the bestest girl LuvLove in the world as my wife and friend, I wouldn't change anything even though the path has been painful at times.

Muzza cool