Bands/Artists 'Berries fans Should Hear/Enjoy

pierson

For many this will be old news, but since no one checked out my Van Duren post (he IS the guy everyone should hear, in my opinion) I will again list artists who most Raspberries fans should dig or check out:

1. Van Duren (late '70s singer songwriter from Memphis--part of the Big Star circle but bears more resemblance to Eric Carmen, Todd Rundgren, Emitt Rhodes and Paul McCartney--and at his best ["Are You Serious"] he's as good as those guys--really. Marvin recently had trouble tracking down "Are You Serious"--it still might be available via www.notlame.com)

2. Dwight Twilley Band

3. 20/20 (1st album)

4. Artful Dodger

5. April Wine (1972-1977)

6. Flashcubes (especially the song "No Promise")

7. Chamber Strings

8. Jon Brion

9. Pernice Brothers

10. Pezband/ Off Braodway

11. Edward Bear

12. Pilot

I saw them 2 years ago, I was in front of the stage and Berton was literally about 5 ft from me! I was absolutly amazed at his playing! Prescott Niles is still with them (Bass), but original drummer Bruce Gary had a falling out with Doug Feiger after the first breakup (he told me that after the show)

i saw the Knack once in the '80s and they sukked (sorry Bob)-- ended with a cover of a Doors song-- absolutely dreadful-- they were as far away from the Power pop dream as the Grateful Dead... their 1st album has a few OK songs--but they were 'train-jumpers' whereas the romantics, shoes, 20/20 were the real deal... also check out The Pop and The Quick's 1st albums...

PLEASE, check out the bands listed on the 1st post-- unlike the Knack, hardly anyone has ever heard them-- and they are a closer breed of brilliance like our beloved Raspberries...

Be that way.

Me curmudgeon boy.... actually, compare/contrast Flashcubes vs. The Knack... i always thought the boys from Syracuse were on the right course... despite the fact that The Knack (and The Cars) made it possible for almost all new wave era power pop bands to get a major label deal--and tragically The Flashcubes didn't land a deal...

The Knack were a novelty success (risque lyrics, Beatle clothes)... The Cars were a studio band... if you were looking for a band to represent and capture the essence of The Raspberries, The Flashcubes did (i.e. "No Promise," "Girl From Germany," "It's You Tonight," "I Wanna Stay All Night")... at their prime, they are the real deal like Paul Collins' Beat, 20/20, Cheap Trick, The Plimsouls... and they're still able to pull it off live these days (their live set at TT Bears in Boston in Nov. 2003, was GODHEAD!)... and i wasn't wearing rose colored glasses...

The Raspberries ARENÂ¥T a Power Pop band either...

yes and no... in other words, there were songs on Raspberries albums that wouldn't qualify as "power pop," but AS A BAND, they most definitely were a Power Pop Band. Their concept was just that: A reaction to the bloated excess of late '60s early '70s rock... They set out to bring certain things back in the mix of current popular music that were missing since 1968... That's the Power Pop concept-- basically under 4 minutes concise pop songs centered on male/female lyrics, but with the power of The Who and The Kinks... From "Go All The Way" to "Play On" they held true to such an aesthetic-- songs like "Go All The Way" and "Tonight" are the blueprint for Power Pop and are what the Raspberries are truly about...

Power Pop is a label that appeared when New Wave did it.The Raspberries were before New Wave.

Power Pop was a phrase coined by Pete Townsend, but made popular by Nick Lowe (i believe) during the new wave era... during the new wave era, everyone stated the Raspberries as being the first true Power pop band, even though no one was calling them such when they making records...

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the days of cloning, pop freaks quickly seeked out Pete Ham & Eric Carmen's kin in the summer of '72 and asked for samples and set up petrie dishes... science had advanced so that said experiment, sir Van Duren, had grown up to be a budding 20something pop god all of his making by 1975--3 years after the Ham/Carmen explosion; remember those airwaves batting around "Day After Day" and "Go All The Way" not too far from one another....sheesh....

some demos were cut in '75 with Big Star's Jody Stephens... finally by 1977 Jon Tiven and Big Sound Records gave Van a shot and this miracle of science caught magic in a bottle unlike anything in the waning years of the '70s (despite great efforts by Twilley & Artful Dodger--Van Duren was by far the closest to Eric Carmen & Pete Ham's spirit, but NEVER a mere rip-off--This was expansion)... since Big Sound was an indie label, no one heard Van Duren, except the few freaks & those religiously listening to NY's WPIX 'godhead' phase in '79-80...

Years later, those who hung on to their copies of "Are You Serious" buzzed ga ga & even pop freaks in Japan caught word... 'tis the Japanese label Airmail Recordings who finally resuscitated Van's legacy...

The album is a head-to-toe winner & something that bears rewards after spinning adnauseum in the car, on the beach or where-ever... Choice cuts: "Oh Babe," "Love That I Love," "Stupid Enough," "Guaranteed," "Grow Yourself Up," "This Love Inside" & "Chemical Fire."

Granted the sound clip at Not Lame was not much to go by, but I wasn't enthralled by what I heard. Anywhere I can hear some more - or better still, any kind soul (hello Bob and Pierson) want to copy VanDuren and Artful Dodger for me?

Marvin

I wasn't enthralled by what I heard.

Marvin

Marvin,

it's extremely difficult to get enthralled by anything via internet soundbites... and unless you here "Oh Babe" in its entirety, there's nothing there that's gonna immediately smack like "Go All The Way" or "Tonight." Hard to say if it will move you as much as Bob & I, since your faves lean towards things like Dan Fogelberg, Don Henly and Andrew Gold and not stuff like Big Star... if you really like Paul McCartney's early '70s stuff, Todd Rundgren 70-75, and Emitt Rhodes, this is a must...

in due time i should finally be getting around to putting Artful Dodger's stuff on CD and Van Duren's

Pierson I have many musical tastes on my palette - including everything that McCartney has released. I love Fogelberg for his lyrics, Gold for his melodic sense and musical ability, and Henley for his ability to coin a phrase and then attach it to a strong melody.

Marvin

So great to join a message board where Artful Dodger is mentioned. Why this band was never huge I'll never know. Recently obtained some unreleased songs from 1991 which was 11 years after their classic Rave On album and the songs are fantastic. If all you've ever heard by Artful Dodger is Scream...or maybe Wayside...do yourself a favor and search out the Rave On lp.