Reality Check

blackhawkpat

So, it's 9:30 at night here in Chicago and I just went to dump my garbage. When I went back behind our garage, I was startled to see a little girl, about eight years old, rooting through one of my garbage cans, as what looked like her grandmother watched, while she had an old bycycle with her.

We've been cleaning out our garage and she was clutching a toy to her chest, as if it was gold.

She said "I'm sorry, I'll give it back" and I said "no, no, it's yours. Are you looking for toys?" and she nodded. I went into our garage (that has no working light in it) and fumbled around in the dark until I found an old bag of dolls. I came out and gave her about six different dolls and her face lit up like Christmas. "My cousins have nothing", she said, but the grandmother pointed to her.

I told the grandmother to come back during the day when I can see in there and I'd give her any or all of the toys she wanted from our garage.

You know, I have had an extremely, extremely difficult year, as some of my close friends here know, but, sometimes, you just don't know how lucky you have it, until you see someone like that. It just broke my heart and I got tears in my eyes when I saw that kid's reaction.

Just thought I'd share...........

Pat, You'll sleep very well tonight. What a heartwarming story, but so heartbreakingly sad that some children are in such dire circumstances.

That little girl must have thought she'd found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow--and she did, because she found you.

I do believe that one gets back what one gives, and based on your caring heart, times are going to get a lot better for you, my friend. You truly deserve good things.

smile --Love, Darlene

Wow I am truly honored to share the message board with you!! It reminds me of the story of the Little Match Girl and her Grandmother...except you actually not only saw her but you did something!! I am certain God is looking down and saying "Now there is truly one of my children created in my own image!!"

Thank you for taking the time to share this!

*V*

The sad thing about this is,,, that there are millions of kids in this situation...I believe everything happens for a reason...and Pat I believe this happened and you extended your kindness...so I am sure God will make things better for you. Thanks not only for helping this child...but so everyone stops for a minute or two and thinks about the world....

That just breaks my heart that chidlren go without the simple things like having a toy during their childhood and are living like raccoons going through garbage cans searching for food, clothes and/or toys. You are a sweet man for helping them out!

You've got a big heart. And, like Valorie, I think she was at your house for a reason. Good things will come your way. And it is a reality check. When we think we have it rough we just need to take a look around and be thankful for our blessings. We all fall on bad times in one way or another, but we know it's more than likely temporary. That little girl has probably never known anything else. We should remember that our hard times would be good times to her. Thank you for sharing with us and bless you.

A few years ago, a friend of ours had yet another daughter with the boor she was living with, who left her shortly after, and when I was expecting my second to last son, we gathered up all the little red dresses an dolls and gave them to the mother. BTW, the boor met another woman at work and has since had another child or two.

It's all fine and well when you donate to a charity, but when you give to someone you personally know, it's even more special, because you may have been the only ones who cared.

My former partner would sometimes make pasta for his whole apartment block. It was cheap housing, poorly maintained and full of nuts. Some poeple couldn't even face their former partners without police going there.

If my neighhbour needed anything, I'd gladly share. People remember, too, and cherish the moment you made them happy.