Asthma and Allergies

Billy K.

Some of you were mentioning weight loss. Well I had put on a few pounds about two years ago, and part of the reason has to do with lack of exercise.

Well, I used to have no problem getting into a routine, but asthma and allergies got in the way.

It has been getting better the last couple of months, and I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable....and working my way over the hump.

Just wondering, anyone else have similar types of problems? And how are you coping with it?

Ah..you've touched on my subject here, Billy. happy I'm a Respiratory Therapist at the Asthma and Allergy Center at Johns Hopkins ...we're seeing lots of weird stuff this year. People that never were bothered by allergies before, are coming in in bunches.

There's a popular theory amongst some healthcare providers that the slight temerature changes (and increase in carbon dioxide levels)that occur with global warming will continue to result in increasing not only the amount of pollen in the air..and extend the allergy season, but it's also changing the pollens and making them more potent ! YIKES ! Triple whammy !

Glad you're feeling a little better. Be sure to keep that bronchodilator with you where ever you go !! smile

As far as the exercise...I'd try to do it inside, away from the heat, pollution, and other environmental elements that can make breathing more difficult!

I have to agree with crstardust and Marlene. I never had asthma symptoms until I got whooping cough seven years ago. Since then, I have been super sensitive to dust and other invisible things that we breathe from the air. I am a shallow breather, so concentrating on taking deeper breaths while I workout or do yard work helps a lot. Sometimes wearing a sterile mask over my nose and mouth helps if conditions are bad. I know it looks silly, but who cares? I feel better longer.

My husband has never had allergies either and last fall was so congested and he was using a box of tissue a day. he finally went to a doctor which he hates to do.He was put on medication also. it finally seems to be clearing a little,but our 13 year old collie mix dog had a miserable spring.From April til about last week he had to go on Prednisone. I was wondering if it was just age,(the husband is only 54,) the weather change pattern seems to make sense now.My friend who is a nurse at tne Clevand VA Hospital said last year was bad for her too.And she takes anti histamines too.So I've been reading up a lot on allergies.I think new research says it's not only histamine that needs to be blocked but leukotrines.But Singulair,which blocks leukotrines,just had an alert posted about it about 2 or 3 months ago. In the meantime,let's all do what we can about pollution/global warming.

Welcome crstardust !

I am a wheezer too, I have had asthma and allergies my whole life.

I am seasonal and stubborn, When the season changes I know it's coming but in the last few years I have wound up with pneumonia six times. This is stupid on my part, I know better.

I had three rounds of Prednisone last month as well as antibiotics.

This started because I stopped taking Zyrtec because it is now over-the-counter and my insurance didn't pay for it anymore and rather than give in and pay for it, I just stopped taking it- stupid.

Marlene, one of best friend is a Respiratory Therapist too, she chewed me out for being so stupid and stubborn.

My daughter, Laura, was sitting here this morning with the whole eyes/sinuses/ throat thing going on saying that this is the worst year to hit her in a long time. I know my chiro told me that last year was bad, too, while he was working on my lungs. Annie, Laura, and I are all chronic allergic asthmatics.

Exercise is tricky. I used to do most of my workouts in the water and that really became a problem during asthma season (the chlorine would trigger my already inflamed lungs.) Try working with weights like I did. You don't move quickly as you would with cardio so you won't get out of breath and trigger an attack. Plus building muscle burns fat and helps you lose and tone.

Ditto for me. Had no breathing problems until a few years ago. It felt like there was a 500 pound gorilla sitting on my chest. Usually I only had breathing problems in the winter. A few weeks ago I had what I can only guess was an asthma attack. Was picking up some dry cleaning & was having difficulty breathing on the walk back home. (I love when doctors ask if I have asthma. Hey, you're the doctor, how the hell should I know?) I have enough drugs to claim Rite Aid as a dependent on my tax return -- zyrtec, nasonex, advair, singulair, & albuterol as needed.

Don't know if anybody else is experiencing this, but over the last few years I've been having a couple of ear infections a year. (Never had them as a kid.) One was so bad that my ear was totally closed up that they had to put a tube in so the drops could get in.

My husband and I both have sinus issues and whenever the season changes - winter and spring we're coughing, sneezing and have sore throats. We've already had to turn on our AC since it got so humid and muggy so quickly. What happened to spring? Mike is still coughing but nothing seems to help the tickle in the back of his throat(probably from drainage) but it sounds like he's coughing up part of his lung! It's keeping him awake some nights and it's really starting to get on his nerves not mention mine listening to all the coughing and nothing to "show for it".

The only thing that really irriates my whole respiratory system is cigarette smoke - very hard to breathe.

My girls haven't had any problems so far this spring/summer.

HT

I have asthma that I developed as an adult. Use advair and albuterol all the time. Both my parents are asthmatic, and some brothers and sisters. I smoked 15 years and quit in 1990, before the asthma developed. I've had less problems since I've used the advair, but I've taken prednisone in the past. If I get really bad, I have a nebulizer that I use. This year has been on/off bad for me. BTW, I tested negative for most allergies. Humidity, cold, upper respiratory infections trigger me.

'Fraid some of us are suffering here right now, too. It's hazy, hot (88 F) and humid, with little relief but to turn on the A/C.

I'm not a sufferer, but my common-law-nephew is, and perhaps also my middle son. It doesn't seem to affect my sinuses, but I'd sure like to know how it happens. There's a study going on rightnow at our university about how asthma develips, what with it's increase this generation.

Street festival tomorrow,and I can't go out with any bare arms or legs because my skin is flaring up. I'm sticking to this place and doing anything I can to stay cool!

I hope your weather eases up soon.

And for PETE'S sake, SOMEONE ELSE please post because I feel like I'm conquering the world! Or the last wallflower at the dance...

You're not the last wallflower at the dance, PrettyMom......

Anyway, I do carry an inhaler, but only use it occasionally. But antihistimines are used on a somewhat regular basis.

Part of the problem is that I stay INSIDE too often. The air circulation is not that great here. The place I am renting was built in the early 1940s. Since I am near the airport, there was an issue with noise. The county and the port authority had to pay for insulating these houses from noise, around ten years ago.

Problem is, with insulating from the noise, it also keeps the heat and cold out too. That is part of the cause, with the dampness here. However, it sometimes gets too damp to keep the window or screen door open.

And Seattle has been ununsually damp, considering it's right before summer.

The other issue I have is with dairy. I have lactose intolerence, which also affects breathing, with a bit of an allergic reaction when I have milk products. I do try to watch myself, and take medication for that, too.

Besides running, the other thing that frustrates me is not being able to sing, due to this asthma. Hopefully, I will be back in full swing in about two months or so.

And Seattle has been ununsually damp, considering it's right before summer.

Yeah, sadly, high humidity and dampness = mold, and that's never good for anyone, especially anyone with allergies !! frown

Hope you're feeling back to normal and able to belt out a beautiful tune soon, Billy. laugh

I have struggled with sinus issues for years. This past winter we had our entire 1st floor painted and the paint fumes caused an acute sinusitis that just wouldn't go away. I didn't even know that a chemically induced sinustis was possible! I HATE taking antibiotics and try to avoid them at all costs, but this time I was getting desparate. As a last ditch effort I went to my local Whole Foods store and bought a Neti pot. Believe it or not, after using the Neti pot 2x/day for just two days my symptoms (pain, pressure, post-nasal drip) were completely gone! I am now a firm advocate of the Neti pot. According to what I read, when you flush the irritants out with a warm saline solution, it allows the tissues to heal at a much faster rate. It does take a little getting used to, though.

I had years and years of allergies/asthma and upper respiratory infections. I was on SOOO many prescriptions for it. Once I started seeing a naturopath the first thing he did was wean me off of those and put me on herbal supplements. Now I only need those occasionally! I still have problems but they're under better control than they were on all the prescriptions because I don't have the prescription immunity anymore. Most of the time I'm totally free of allergy/asthma supplements!

Could be you're allergic to some plants native to your land. Check it out with your doctor.

Sinus problems have a lot of different causes, and not just climate.

I find my sinuses only act up when severe colds are going around. That's just my case.

Saline solution helps a lot of people.

My son has constant congestion, and I think it's allergies from his father's side of the family, but the other son doesn't seem to have any problems at all. Maybe it's the genetic mix that can cause or cancel out the inheritance of some of these things.

Gotta go. Hair colouring needs rinsing out!