Name Game

Kirk

Since this is the only message board I visit I might be a little naive, but is everybody here using there real names (other that Carmen Smalley) or are there more people using aliases? I know some have a different moniker but still sign their names to the postings. Why would someone hide behind a phony name, anyway? Not enough courage to stand behind what you say and who you really are? Just curious. Kirk.

I use the name Bahoo simply because it is more fun than my real name, AndrÈ DorÈ. Anyway you non-french speaking folks would massacre my name anyway...LOL...(pronounced Awndray Dooray)

Whay Bahoo? ........a nickname given to me since elementary school when some kid watched The Grinch and thought the "the Whos" were singing "Bahoo Daray".

So there!!!

Bahoo

Kirk, I do use my real name here, my first name really is Julia, and my last name starts with "D". But I don't use my real name other places I go, and I'll tell you why. There's a lotta screwballs out there!

I feel "safe" here because I've been here a long time (I think I was the 6th person to post on the original board), and I have corresponded over the years with, and even met, Bernie, and I know if it came down to it, he'd look out for us.

I won't go into the details, it'd take a day to tell it all, but I was stalked online a few years ago. It started in a family oriented chatroom. There was a guy from Texas who apparently took a shine to me. He asked me several times to get involved in an "online relationship" with him. I politely said no at first, and after he wouldn't let it go, I laid into him (no pun intended).

At the time, I didn't know how he accomplished it, I do now, but he got my e-mail address from someone else in the chatroom, and he sent me an e-mail with a "keylogger" in it. That meant he could now see everywhere I went online, he could read my e-mail, he could see any usernames and passwords I used, he could even "take over" my hard drive if he was so inclined. At first, I had no clue what was happening, but I knew that somehow, this guy was "following" me online wherever I went. He'd even make posts to forums I visited so I'd know he had been there, he wanted me to know he was stalking me.

It was horrid, and it did actually get to the point where he threatened to "come to my house after me".

At that point, I involved a friend of mine who was an ex District Attorney. He got online beside me and went everywhere I did, and watched this guy stalk me. Then he just said "I'll take care of it".

I dunno what he did, I never asked, he never volunteered, but this guy suddenly disappeared offline for months. All his accounts online were cancelled, his e-mail bounced, there was no trace of him online.

Anyway, I learn from my mistakes. I'm very cautious online anymore, I have a program on my pc to stop anyone from putting a keylogger on me, I'm careful what I divulge about myself and where I divulge it, and other than here, I never use my real name.

Ooooh, Julia, that's really bad....

Just because I'm always honest and sometimes, unfortunately, naive, I just never even thought to use an alias as a screen name. I probably should use some other screen name other places, but I don't participate in ANY chat rooms. Not interested in meeting anyone online, just in person. Too scary.

Here, I just use my real name. That's it. I have found people here, luckily, to be very warm, honest and wonderful. It's great that Julia told us what can happen, because there are some absolute wackos out there. I'm inclined to think that Eric wisely chooses not to post because, although he must know by now that we regulars are

okay, there are others who can just come on and "lurk" who are NOT okay. Being a high-profile person, it's bad enough that people know the general locality in which he lives, and town names are mentioned here and there, and although it probably would never happen, it's best to keep in mind Julia's story.

smile --Darlene

Well, except for Darlene being Eric (ha ha), I think most of us sign our real names. Yes, I'm really Michelle. Named after the Beatles song, although I try not to point that out to too many people, because they automatically break into song when I say it. (Meee shall, ma belle, these are words that go together well....)

Except for anyone born post 1978, who usually say "Who are the Beatles?". To which I reply, "They're just like Oasis, but older...". wink

Michelle

Jeff, sorry I didn't make that clear. What I meant was that I knew Carmen Smalley was a fake name but was wondering if everybody else was using their real name. Thanks, Julia, for the tip about web psychos. I wouldn't worry about myself, but I sure don't want somebody like that bothering my wife. Kirk.

I use my real name also, but I use a Hotmail account on my profile, because I know that sometimes spammers and strange people harvest emails and I prefer to keep my spam to a minimum in my regular email account. I'm sure that some people could access it, and I've emailed Bernie with my regular email account. I do check the Hotmail account, but keep it for my online account.

ps-I'm a lurker sometimes also, so we're not all strange and weird! I'm just too lazy to sign in unless I have something to add.

Laura, You're not a "lurker" at all! You're a great regular! I don't always sign in either. What I mean by lurker, is someone who just happens by and reads everything but isn't really interested in Eric/Raspberries or the music, but are just weird voyeurs. There are no regular lurkers here, only friends!

smile --Darlene

Darlene, that's precisely why my friend in canada has a private, password protected site, and why I have a web forum and chatroom myself that aren't listed in search engines. We have a small group who like to post to each other about their lives, their families, pets, books, movies, music, etc, and sometimes we like to get together for a chat, but "public" chatrooms leave too much to be desired. When I went to that chatroom, I was only online a few months, and never in a million years did I think I'd pick up a weirdo in a family oriented chatroom. I thought the worst things that can happen to you online is you get a virus. HA! That's one of the better things! :p