How were you when you were a teenager?

Carmen Smalley

Living in the shadow of Lew Bundles wasn't easy. I really hated being a teenager. I didn't fit in with any particular crowd. I wasn't good enough when I played baseball to hang around with the jocks. I really didn't like the "smart kids". I wasn't depressed enough to be a Goth. And there was this strange sect of guys who all looked like rockstars but couldn't play a note.

Painfully shy. I dated, had no problem getting to the proms, but was so busy with my violin, I had a more active "fantasy" romantic life than a real one. And I wore glasses and played the violin in high school. You get the picture! I didn't get out of my shell until my early twenties. I always felt safest and most comfortable performing onstage. Talking to people after the concert--well, that was the most difficult part. eek

My college roommate loved to hear me play. She was a brilliant pianist and we played a lot of chamber music and pop stuff together. Whenever there was a guy I wanted a date (just like I would arrange to have him hear me play in high school), Darlene (my roommate's name also) would find a way to herd him into a classroom and she'd sit down at the piano and we'd play something for him. It worked every time. Except with an adorable bass player named Tom. I played the Viotti 17rh Violin Concerto at warp speed. I felt so smug as I tossed off the last note of the first movement, bow whipping into the air over my head! He said, "I'm in AWE after hearing you girls play!" (And he was a *superb* bass player.) Then what did he do? He asked my ROOMMATE out! confused Ha!

I still feel safest communicating through my music. But I wish I had the confidence I have now when I was 15! And the lemonade, too!

smile --Darlene

Shy, quiet, reserved. My yearbook description read "firery redhead, but too quiet". Now there was a contradiction if ever there was one. I studied dance since I was seven, took guitar lessons at 16 and joined the drama club. Still shy when not onstage, and haven't played guitar since my teens. When I started to dance professionally and teach, I started to come out of my shell. Then some friends dared me to do stand-up in a club. There's an experience let me tell ya. Now it's rare to shut me up. I still teach dancing (mostly ballroom now), teach a crafts class,have a design business, and still do a bit of acting as an extra and direct Community Theater when the opportnity arises. So I guess the shyness passes eventually for most of us. Sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes YIKES!

Semi bad boy with the hair and the cool car. Too cool for school, but I went anyway. Rode the fine line between good and not so good. Always looking for good, not so clean fun. "The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same". Tony, I was kind of a smart-ass with 3 older brothers also. Imagine that. You all know me as a sweetheart. cool

I was pretty shy also. Had a close group of friends (who I still keep in touch with and we do girl's weekend out periodically). Always the studious one. After I turned 18 I was wilder, but it was mostly lubricated with alcohol. Never had a social life until I graduated from high school, then had to really try to buckle down and get through nursing school. I was out of nursing school before I turned 21. But there were times when I was out till bars closed and then in school at 8:00 am. Glad I was young when I did that though!

Was a boy scout.. played trumpet in concert band one of my favorite songs to play was Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" had a hip band leader.. member of the chess team came in 2nd to a guy that I think became a rocket scientist... played on the fooball team.. played alot of stratomatic basesball and D&D... didnt start dating till I was a freshman in high school.

Hard to stick me in any group. I was too tough for the smart guys, and too smart for the tough guys. Beat up the baddest guy in school (he picked the fight), and nobody bothered me the rest of high school. Had a couple of girlfriends, but didn't do too much with the school crowd. Started working in the grocery biz when I was 15. Had a motorcycle and a car. Loved to play sports. Tight family. Great parents. Fun times. Kirk.

I was in a band with guys(and a girl,at one point)from high school,taking lessons on guitar so my role in the band evolved from tambourine to rhythm guitar(and singing-I had voice lessons at 12).Fairly good student,also-in Top Thirty out of 700+.Active in Drama Club Junior and Senior years.Yet with all this fairly shy,no proms,didn't date until senior year.Hung with hippie fringe.Only blossomed socially in college.

I was a geek. I never washed my hair and I wore thick glasses that were usually broken. I carried around a copy of "On the Road," and a transistor radio so people didnt think I was a geek, but it was fairly transparent from the calculator I carried on my belt. I had a $12 accoustic guitar ,made out of cardboard, and I often played Gershwin songs, much to the dismay of my fellow classmates who loved Led Zeppelin. I then learned a Gershwin inspired version of "Whole Lotta Love" and was more accepted at school. I ate a bologna sandwhich , with mustard, everyday for three straight years. Sometimes my mom planted matchsticks in the sandwhiches, and Im still trying to figure that one out. I fantazised continually about my homeroom teacher Miss Adams, who kept me at arms length because of the greasy hair issue I think. My favorite subject was chemistry. I liked thinking about atoms and the decay of the universe between classes. I wore plaid shirts and purple jeans all the time and I was a member of the Foreign Language Club and the Hockey Team. I was allowed to play only in games where we had a five goal lead or more. This only happened twice in 3 years. My best friend was Marty Gerboski who became a corporate lawyer and is in a Federal prison in Maryland. I still send him Christmas cards. My favorite memories from high school are building a pinata, seeing Miss Adams' underwear when she reached too high on the blackboard, and getting on the bus to go home each day. I had 12 record albums at home, one of them was "Side 3."