aBE lINCOLN AND ME SAY THANKS FOR VOTING IN THE CORRECT WAY

Carmen Smalley

<--must've missed the republicans FOR slavery this time around......silly me. winkspineye

As far as the lyrics to "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who and what they might mean to an election, I guess you'll have to listen really, really closely. (Me and my obscure references).

John

Carmen----I have a hard time seeing ol' Abe as a hero. I believe, overall, he may have been a decent president, but he wasn't what most think he was. He never saw the races as equal--he said so. And he wanted to ship the freed slaves out. To him, freeing the slaves was like confiscating the enemy's property. The "property" of Union states was never intended to be confiscated in the original plan--only in the seceding states.

Don't misunderstand--slavery was wrong on every level--but Lincoln didn't really care one way or the other.

Lincoln deplored slavery. The South knew it and seceded as soon as Lincoln was elected. Fredrick Douglas - former slave and greatest American black leader in our history IMHO, knew Lincoln personally and thought him to be a great man, and great friend to his race.

Lincoln was a man of his times, and had to work within the political reality of his time. Judging him accordingly, he was a great friend to the black man, was a superstar president and a superstar human being.

He tended to contradict himself. It's possible to find quotes that show this. You are right, but he also said during a debate with Stephen Douglas that he had never been in favor of bringing about social or political equality of the white and black races and that one must be inferior and he was in favor of the white race being superior.

Some authors of the books I've read say he was torn because he was anti-slavery but didn't want to risk the union and some say he really didn't have an opinion but gave into pressure from his supporters.

Maybe I shouldn't have declared that he didn't care because I've read several views, but when I read quotes from debates and writings like the one I mentioned it's hard to decide one way or the other.

And I didn't mean to stir anything up.

Oh, Christ! Are we gonna re-fight the Civil War now on this thread????????

Personally speaking - all that I or anyone else really knows about Lincoln is what we've read....and, as in the case of any historical figures, he had his supporters and detractors. Unless we have vampires on this board, I don't think any of us were around back then!

Hey Boopell, will you support me in chastising Hollies for his terrible spelling? It's for his own good..

wink

I always thought it was more important what the meaning of your words were, not how they sounded when spoken... or how they looked when spelled...

Of course, if that had been true, we'd not be having a discussion in this thread, would we? wink