It Just Makes "Scents"

Julie

Okay, we're all aware of the "raspberry-scented" scratch and sniff sticker on the first Raspberries album, right?

Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds' album, "Fallin' In Love" had a rose-scented inner jacket.

Have any other groups used "scent" to sell?

--Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Julie, I didn't know about the rose-scented inner jacket. I would have gone crazy over it in those days, though, because in college I wrote all of my letters on Eaton's "rosebud stationery" which not only had the most gorgeous rosebuds printed through translucent stock (it came in different colors) but also had the delightful scent of Estee Lauder Youth Dew (which I still love and wear) infused into it. What a delight!

Speaking of the scratch 'n sniff raspberry sticker, I lost mine in the crowd when Raspberries performed at Sheeps Meadow in Central Park in New York City at the March of Dimes Walk-a-thon. But do you know, even without the sticker, the album cover STILL faintly smells of ---raspberries! Ahhh! Oh happy day...

smile --Darlene

Julie,

I can't think of any other groups that used scents to sell, but your question did start me thinking of my favorite scents, some of which are: freshly-cut grass, pizza, freshly-baked oatmeal raisin cookies, honeysuckle, and broccoli in garlic sauce. Least favorite: vinegar, paper mill, sweat...oh this is getting gross. Let's skip the least favorite.

Steveh

Steveh, Almost all of your favorite scents are food! That's okay, most of mine are perfume: Shalimar (smells like candy!) and Emeraude (almost the same), Estee Lauder Youth Dew, Dolce and Gabbana (adds "spice" to my life). Here are the others:

Freshly mown grass (no allergies here!), bed linens dried outdoors in the sunshine, Baked apples (okay, one food!), the smell of my violin/varnish (It's a Silvestre, made in Paris in 1893) and the smell of "little trees" car freshener, because my Uncle Steve and Aunt Reva used to take me on outings when I was a little girl and their car always had one hanging from the rearview mirror. Finally, that RASPBERRY scent from the album... Okay, Julie, what are yours?

*sniff-sniff* well, I love the smell of mimeograph paper (what they used in school before Xerox machines), Play-Dough, Yankee Candle "Clean Cotton" fragrance, bread baking,

Orange Pine-sol, my cat's fur, my mom's roses,

and a new box of Crayons. I Love Shalimar--used to wear it all of the time--it always reminded me of bubblegum/candy. I always liked "Charlie" too--haven't smelled that in ages. I used to love the smell of the inside of my clarinet case. The cork grease on the joints of the horn would mingle with the velvet lining of the case and a new box of reeds and it would just "send me" every time I opened it. Hmmm....I'm getting an idea for a new thread.......

--Julie

When I was sixteen I worked at the local movie cinema. There was a movie that came out called "Polyester", starring the transvestite "Devine". The movie was a bad rip off of "Rocky Horror"...and not a musical...it was REALLY BAD....every ticket holder got a scratch and sniff card (about 5" by 7") with numbers on it...during the movie, the screen would flash a number and the audience would scratch and sniff....one scene feature somebody giving roses to their lover, then the number flashed, people scratched, but by the time they were sniffing, the rose-giver switched to giving their lover a pair dirty running shoes....

Needless to say, the movie ran a week and was quickly replaced by "Superman".

bahoo wink

Bahoo, This movie would be fun for me. It reminds me of the Rocky Horror thing, where the audience all scream the same thing! Sometimes goofy movies like that are hysterically funny, no matter what's going on on the screen. I never even heard of this one. I'd have loved to have been there!

smile --Darlene

Julie, It's so funny, but someone gave me a very inexpensive Coty cologne called "Dark Vanilla." It has a really pleasant scent, so I occasionally wear it. Whenever I do, everyone asks me what it is! Guys are unbelievably attentive... Even my husband starts doing chores voluntarily! I have to get some more. I didn't know one could buy such power for under $15.00!

smile --Darlene