Record Stores in Cleveland

pierre

I will be going to the December 14 show in Cleveland. I will have some extra time on the day of the show and am hoping to do some record/CD shopping.

Alas, my preliminary research hasn't turned up much in the downtown area (I won't have a car).

I'm looking for used CDs/vinyl, or imported new stuff, with a focus on more "classic" artists (which includes Crowded House, incidentally).

Any suggestions?

It's called Music Saves. I would go there if I were looking for the kind of stuff pierre is looking for. It's on Waterloo--you'll have to take the bus, I guess.

Sorry to report you will not find anything like that downtown. The only music store downtown is at Tower City and it's part of the FYE chain.

Thanks for the tips, everybody. Is it fair to say that downtown Cleveland is (other than Tower City and the Arcade, where our hotel is) doesn't have particularly extensive shopping opportunities? I've read about lots of interesting neighbourhoods in the suburbs, but not much downtown.

It's not a big deal - there's always the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to visit - but if we were to visit one of the 'burbs with the intention of Christmas (and music) shopping, which one should we visit? Ease of access by public transit is essential.

I guess I'm lucky - my hometown has a vibrant downtown and that's where the best shopping is. The suburbs have the same old "big box" stores and absolutely nothing of interest to a music collector.

Hey Pierre... as you probably know Crowded House (and Split Endz)are our boys from New Zealand and there is often CD's of their music readily available here. If you have anything in particular you are interested in we are happy to get it and send it to you if we can find it. Just let us know by PMing us.

Muzza cool

Yes, Pierre, it is fair to say that downtown Cleveland is not a shoppers' paradise. Even Tower City and the Arcade don't have a ton of things to offer.

Which 'burb to visit? Depends on what you're looking for. You could get to Legacy Village (a "lifestyle center") on the bus (you can then see the tribute to Eric on the wall of the Giant Eagle supermarket) if you're looking for high-end stuff. There are all kinds of malls you can go to. Coventry may be your best bet for interesting shopping, though, that is not preboxed or "mallish."

Thanks, Trindy...that's the kind of insider advice I was looking for. Not surprisingly, you don't get a lot of official Cleveland-based sites claiming that "there isn't that much great shopping downtown"!

This board has been great for planning our trip. First, there was the "tip" on Priceline for the hotels (which I would have tried anyway, but probably not at the low prices suggested here!), then there has been extensive discussion about the R&R HOF, good restaurants, etc...it all adds up to tremendous empowerment.

And of course the board was how I found out about the concert in the first place! Definitely a worthwhile place to hang out.

On the westside of town [i was raised on the Eastside...came to my senses in my early 30s]Crocker Park[iMO] has a better layout than Legacy and is much better for foot traffic...It's pretty cool...people live there...it's not just all retail. It's located in Westlake which is where I live. As I've said before Lakewood is an excellent inner ring suburb with at least 3 independent record stores and a hundred taverns and countless eateries.

You can also get a bus to Crocker Park, so that's yet another possibility.

For information on transit around Cleveland before you get there, go to www.gcrta.org. It's not really necessary to "plan" a trip from the airport to downtown--that will be the easy part of your trip, just follow the RTA signs, pay your fare, get on a train and get off when it stops at Tower City--but if you want to go anyplace else, you'll probably want to take a look at some schedules, maps and times. It can be done, you've just got to figure out how and when to make it worth your while.