What a guy!

hollies65

Eric - its very to easy to imagine & put together a 'Popular Mechanics' scenario as you describe above. in fact this type of thing happens every day in every major media news outlet & publication across the land. its very simple to do: observe & listen to the mouthpiece, & then *Follow the Money Trail*. this is a fail-safe way to decipher almost any political or 'in the name of public interest' quote (& even in "product reviews" in pub's like PM!) printed or recorded, anywhere, anytime. there is always (literally, w/ almost no exceptions) someone w/ money-to-be-made at stake behind these statements. even something sugar-wrapped in benevolent stewardship statements like "healthy forest initiative" (a classic Bush administration ploy) have 110% economic, money-making motives & "sponsors" behind them, on down to the smallest local "issue/plan/project/statement/etc.." in every community around the country

the facades are literally everywhere you look. everywhere.

Eric - its very to easy to imagine & put together a 'Popular Mechanics' scenario as you describe above. in fact this type of thing happens every day in every major media news outlet & publication across the land. its very simple to do: observe & listen to the mouthpiece, & then *Follow the Money Trail*. this is a fail-safe way to decipher almost any political or 'in the name of public interest' quote (& even in "product reviews" in pub's like PM!) printed or recorded, anywhere, anytime. there is always (literally, w/ almost no exceptions) someone w/ money-to-be-made at stake behind these statements. even something sugar-wrapped in benevolent stewardship statements like "healthy forest initiative" (a classic Bush administration ploy) have 110% economic money-making motives behind them

dangit, sorry 'bout the double post!

How about "No Child Left Behind"? Or the "voucher" system.

Here's a quick explanation of how "vouchers" SOUND good, but don't work.

The pitch is that parents who live in a school system that is failing will be able to get a four thousand dollar voucher so they can send their child to the private or parochial school of their choice.

My children go to a private charter school. It currently costs over $20,000 per child, per year to attend their school. The kids whose schools are failing live in the poorest, most dangerous parts of the city. Assuming for a moment they got a $4,000 "voucher", how would their parents come up with the other $16,000 to send them to school? In addition, how would their parent or parents GET them to school every day. It's about a one hour round trip from downtown Cleveland out to the suburbs and back. It's longer during rush hour.

So in order to make use of the voucher, the parents need another $16,000 per child, plus transportation to and from school. That's $32,000 for two kids and most of the people who need the vouchers are living on welfare and make less than that in a year.

Great program! Very well thought out.

It depends on how each state and county school district chose to use the voucher.

When my sons were is school there were no schools out here, the closest high school was a new school but was very over crowed, 6000 kids in a school built for 2500 and was 16 miles away.

We were offered vouchers to attend a private school or city Charter school. There was a delay in the completion of the Charter High. So we paid the difference for tuition for the private school, but the transportation was supplied by the county, this school was 15 miles away as well.

The east schools are in the poorer areas and are often magnet schools that offer enriched music, art or medical and math courses, so there are choices.

The east schools also have extra tutoring, daycare, English as a second language, and a 3meal-a-day program.

The teachers receive extra pay to work in these schools as an incentive. Most of the eastern schools have raised their test scores to at least C levels.

We could have gone to magnet schools but 2 hours each way was not acceptable and didn't work out with sports and scouts and life.

I will also say that all the public schools here have better teachers, computer labs, libraries, and sport programs than the private schools. Maybe this is a unique area but it worked here.

Almost all these programs were started by the then, Governor Jeb Bush.

There's a host of concerns I would have regarding this program, not the least of which being religious-based curriculum.

But I do agree with ec...travel-time, especially in this day of single parent households, is brutal and could be counter-productive. Also, here in Naples, the parochial elementary school tuitions range from $5K - $10K with the private academies more in the $20K range. So that's why I think the voucher program is more realistic in some of the other "older" cities like NYC, Philly, Boston that are hurting for more students in these dying parochial schools where tuition is in the $3K - $5K range.

Bessie...here in Collier County..it's the same as by you. Troubled school districts induce teachers to come work in those difficult areas. There has been some success.

John

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY THE COST PER STUDENT FOR EDUCATION HAS RISEN SO MUCH IN THE LAST 20-30 YEARS?

WHY IS COLLEGE TUITION UP OVER 400% SINCE 1986?

(Gee, greedy oil companies profits have only risen about 1/4 that much in the same period.)

You get 20-30 students in a classroom, the same as always. Why has the cost risen OVER 400%?

Is it corruption? Inflated administrator's salaries? Too many adminstrators? Inflated professors salaries? Union contracts that require 2 people to do the job 1 person used to do?

C'MON HYPOCRITCAL LIBS! CAN YOU ANSWER THIS ONE?

TC, I dont think because they are university systems, which contain many progressives, that they are immune to human greed. I think the truth there is that they know they have the public and parents "over a barrel" as it were. Its hard to comprehend why costs have been 2-5 times the level of inflation the past 10 years. Having said that, many educational areas and the associated equipment and facilities are very expensive and the notion of less is more has certainly not functioned at many universities where keeping up with the Joneses is valued.