The 80's is Back!

gordharris

Well, the new wave of eighties music is back, which I like very much.

Tears For Fears are coming out in Spring with a new CD. I'm looking forward to that.

Just the right time to bring out "Boats Against The Current On Cd huh.

My favourite 80's groups are, or were, Flock of Seagulls, Platinum Blond, FM(Nash The Slash),

The Fixx, Saga, Roxy Music(bryan Ferry), 38 Special, Psychedelic Furs, and Gowan, HoneyMoon

Suite.

Who were your favourite groups?

Hey Gord, The 80's really slipped by me--I was busy travelling the country on weekends in a polka band and never got a chance to find out what was going on in pop music. Riding in a band bus and spending nights in hotel rooms is definitely NOT how you find out what's going on in the outside world.

smile --Darlene

I may have to agree with Marvin on this. I was in high school and college in the '80s and for years, I'd thought the music from that decade was the best. Now, as I hear some of it played on radio stations as oldies, I realize a lot of it was BAD! (That's bad as in "not good," not bad the way Jacko made it mean "good" in the '80s!) Anyway, I still like some of the songs that I've always enjoyed, whether they're actually good songs or they represent good times for me.

There has been good and bad music in every decade.

The 50's were kind of boring with so many crooners and then too many basic blues chord progressions in early Rock & Roll.

The 60's kept getting better as the decade got older. Lots of variety. Thank you Beatles and other Brits...

The early to mid 70's were progressive and great until Disco took music on a u-turn to Blandsville.

("Get up...Get on the floor...Dance Dance Dance" lyrics on every other song made me gag)

The 80's overcame the Disco nightmare with some memorable songs and bands...up until Rap and Hip-Hop took over in the late 80's.

The 90's had a few good bands and songs that were overrun by too much RAP CRAP and GRUNGE MUNGE, followed by formula BOY BAND DRIBBLE in the late 90's. The 90's were the worst, unless you liked Country music. Country had to cross over and lasso some mainstream pop fans over 25 yrs. old because they had no good new music to listen to.

And now, the new millennium brings a death struggle between traditional melodic music using real instruments verses the "Anything Goes" in society and music with angry chants, sexy grunts and moans, on top of electronic beats and rhythms that if listened to for more than 3 minutes, turns your brain into a lumpy form of oatmeal.

I hope music gets better this decade. Guys like Eric Carmen could help with some new music... frown

Yeah Tony you're right that every decade has had its share of duds, but I'll take those predictable chord progressions from the 1950's over most of the stuff from the 1980's (and 1990's for that matter) anytime. It's fine to say that the 1950's songs were "basic", but that's because you're comparing it to the decades that followed and songs that became more involved. For music to grow, it has to evolve, and as it evolves, it generally gets more complex. Taking nothing away from the decades that preceded it, the 1950's laid the foundation for most R'n'R.

Marvin

The 80's is by far my favorite era in music, I like a lot of it... sure, it had some stinkers, but nothing in this world is perfect. I loved Roxy Music, Culture Club, Burgeois Tagg, Breathe, Spandau Ballet (I can hear some of you groan, stop it!), Adam Ant, Jermaine Stewart, and so many more. The music was just FUN, something I haven't seen before or since, and the videos were fun too, way better than the recent "pissed off at the world" trend in music

Julia to each his own, and your opinion is as valuable as anyone else's here, but out of the bands that you mentioned, the only one that I have any admiration for is Roxy Music. In the case of Culture Club, I had their first two albums. I was in England in the January of 1984 when "Karma Chameleon" hit the charts over there. Being a sucker for any song with an infectious melody (regardless of who the singer is), I fell in love with this song. A few months later when I was back in Canada, the song became huge here.

Marvin

The early eighties I liked

Donnie Iris

Def lepard

Bryan adams

Tears for Fears

Buggles Video Killed the Radio star album is a classic

Most of the stuff in the 80's I hated though especially Bon Jovi

Hey Gord! The seventies and the eighties were the best!!! My favorite eighties groups were, "Eric Carmen", "Tears for fears", "Modonna, "Icehouse", "Def Leppard", for sure and numerous others that I cannot think of offhand. The nineties music is crapola, in my opinion. The talent is just not there. It does not take much brains to dress half-naked, dance around and scream, rap, swear and have all the electronics, etc. do the work for you. Any of us could do that and make a mill. LONG LIVE THE SEVENTIES AND THE EIGHTIES!

smilesmilesmile

Icehouse, I have both, the album plus the cassette, these guys good too.

I like the styles of the eighties.

You know the styles of the 80's, you would think, that being that we are in the year, 2004,

And the way we dress now, it should be the opposite.

It's almost like the designers are lacking futuristic looks for designing the wear of tomorrow.

If it ever came back, I sure would wear it again.

The clothes of the 80's were, neat and tidy, colorful, and really stylish.

I agree with Gord on '80s style. The clothes were everything he stated - neat, tidy, colorful, stylish. Of course, there were those that incorporated fads like jeans with ripped knees, leg warmers, off-the-shoulder sweatshirts, and spiked hair, that too many people remember as the norm for that decade. I was in high school and college in the '80s, my formative years, so to speak, so I'm probably a little biased, but at least clothes used to fit! Now, you can't find guys under the layers they wear, or the only thing you see is an expanse of boxers showing from pants that hang to their thighs. With girls, it's almost worse, with fleshy pot bellies bubbling out of low-rise hip huggers, and tank tops in even the coldest weather so we are exposed to all their tattoos.

As I opinioned earlier, the 80's had some horrendous music. I can't think of too many new artists from the 1980's that I still listen to today or who are still around today. Most of the stuff that I listened to in the 1980's was from artists who came out in the 1970's or earlier.

Marvin