THE DARK KNIGHT = Awesome!

Raspbernie

I saw an advance screening of the new Batman movie last night. It was extraordinary! Heath Ledger is AMAZING as the Joker and his performance was everything you are hearing and MORE. It is not hype, folks! He is GREAT! I promise you will never forget his magic trick! Go early in the morning, late at night, stand in long lines if you must, but do whatever it takes to see this movie THIS weekend before you hear all about it next week. You will not regret it! WOW!

My kids are going to the midnight show tonight too...I was ALMOST going until one of their friends who dropped out dropped back in!

My heart is just so sad that he won't get to reap the professional rewards this role would have brought. He was such a talented man.

My downstairs Landlord FINALLY got a newly released movie and THAT'S the one! TODAY!! But I couldn't see the screen, and I need to be near the landline for updates on my youngest, who may get some "feedom" for the weekend.

I have to tell you, I nearly fell over from reading the marquee, because we usually don't get the movies until they've been released to DVD. I guess Landlord got bankrolled!

Enjoy, people!

Saw it - while it's the best "Batman" of that series, and Ledger will likely cop the Best Supporting Actor Oscar (he doesn't have nearly the screen time of Bale, so I doubt he'll get nominated for Best Actor, but stranger things have happened), it's also too long by about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour or so, IMO, and tended to drag in spots....which some judicious editing could have fixed. Also, the allegorical, good vs evil, hero vs villain with tons of complications issues got a bit heavy-handed for your typical Summer blockbuster.

Lastly, while Ledger was great, was he really any better in this one than in "Brokeback Mountain", or in the Aussie flick "Candy"?....Doubtful, even if the subject matters of those two - homosexuality, drug addiction) weren't exactly your typical blockbuster fare....

i liked it overall,but the family all agreed we did'nt like how they made bruce wayne kind of a d--k in it..ledger was really good as the joker,and it made us sad that was his last major role,yet alone in real life,he's gone..a very good actor,and left life way too early..lol,chris

Guest Fresh

My family and I just got back from seeing it tonight.We had to buy the tickets 4-hours ahead because all shows were sold out that far in advance.The movie was indeed very engrossing,and all major characters were played well.Gary Oldman is always very good,and because of the sad and untimely passing of Heath Ledger,alot of people may overlook the other excellent cast members.But his portrayal of the Joker was one I will always remember...truly disturbing.Overall I give the movie 4-stars,even though it may be a bit too intense for younger kids.But seriously,there wasn't one bad actor in the entire film.Great job,maybe a bit too long.

Already beat out "Spiderman 3" in top grossing movie of its first weekend with 155 million earned this weekend. This is the 1st movie since Star Wars where I had to buy my tickets a day before the showing to even see it.... stood in line to have my ticket torn in half.... worth the wait... a must see movie with great Action scenes... great acting... need I say more.

Saw it - while it's the best "Batman" of that series, and Ledger will likely cop the Best Supporting Actor Oscar (he doesn't have nearly the screen time of Bale, so I doubt he'll get nominated for Best Actor, but stranger things have happened), it's also too long by about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour or so, IMO, and tended to drag in spots....which some judicious editing could have fixed. Also, the allegorical, good vs evil, hero vs villain with tons of complications issues got a bit heavy-handed for your typical Summer blockbuster.

Lastly, while Ledger was great, was he really any better in this one than in "Brokeback Mountain", or in the Aussie flick "Candy"?....Doubtful, even if the subject matters of those two - homosexuality, drug addiction) weren't exactly your typical blockbuster fare....

I liked it but felt there was too much story for one movie. The fast choppy editing started getting annoying after a while (as did Bale's raspy voice) I felt they could have taken the Two Face sub plot ending and carried it over to the next sequel. I would have ended it with the Joker's capture and then the bar scene with the dirty cop telling Dent he heard he was dead with him replying, "Half". That would have been a much better ending. There were a few other things I didn't like; the phone sonar, falling 30 stories unhurt, the Joker's make up not being permanent (and the cops still not washing it off). It was the best Batman film so far (but then, most of them were awful).

Barb - Agree with your comments about the plot/story overload. Keeping Dent/Two-Face around for a sequel makes a Hell of a lot more sense than the way they handled it. Eliminating maybe 20 minutes-half hour would likely have eliminated the choppy editing.

Just saw a French murder/mystery "Tell No One" yesterday...a great example of a potentially overloaded and confusing plot that get very neatly wrapped up at the end.

(I'm also a bit puzzled about everyone suddenly recognizing that Ledger was a damn fine actor, now that he's gone. Over the past 10 years, he's rarely disappointed, from "10 Things I Hate About You" and "Monster's Ball", through his Aussie flicks ("Ned Kelly," "Candy") and recent roles (one of the Dylans in "I'm Note There".)

I guess it's true what they say about death being a great career move for some!)

On the opposite end of the movie spectrum, I just saw Troma Pictures' latest fiasco last night, "Poultrygeist - Night Of The Chicken Dead"......hilarious, but NOT for everyone! (Very tasteless, very gory.......and a musical, to boot!) The 5 of us in the theater certainly enjoyed ourselves, though!