Happy Canada Day!

marvin

To the 3 or 4 Canadians on this board, I wish a happy Canada Day long weekend. For those who don't know what Canada Day is (similar to the US' July 4th), here is some background:

On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st.

The July 1 holiday was established by statute in 1879, under the name Dominion Day.

On October 27, 1982, July 1st which was known as "Dominion Day" became "Canada Day".

Marv

Although not celebrated with nearly the same fanfare as the 4th of July, we'll still proudly fly the flag (wear my EC pin!), sing the anthem, have a bbq, and join in our own fireworks celebrations.

Thanks all.

Marv

Robin Williams pointed out that Canada was the upstairs neighbor to the greatest party downstairs (or something to that effect)!

Happy Canada Day to our 'upstairs' residents, and have a wonderful long weekend!!

Anne

I did the patriotic thing and went up to our nation's capital (Ottawa) this weekend. We actually stayed on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River, just for that added cultural flavour. Saw a couple of U-20 World Cup soccer games (Czech Republic-Argentina and Panama-North Korea), ate Vietnamese, Thai and Lebanese food, saw an awesome IMAX film about climbing the Eiger at the Museum of Civilization, and watched the fireworks on Parliament Hill. On the way home, we went to a sugar bush and ate massive amounts of maple syrup over pancakes, french toast and maple sausages.

Just in case people were wondering what we do on our national day!

So Marvin is trying to convince us that Canada is actually a real country?...and not just the black sheep step-brother of the USA, with the absentee Brittish father...who often blames all of his problems on his stressed-out overworked but more successful brother to the south?...

OK, have your little celebration day too...Send us the party bill...We'll end up paying for the securtiy and the booze. :p

Marvin, I'll jump in here. I usually avoid these sorts of discussions but will indulge Tony this time...

"more successful brother to the south"???

Maybe twenty years ago, but...isn't the "more successful brother" bankrupt, devoid of democracy, riddled by corruption, fighting wars it can't win and extremely unpopular throughout the rest of the world?

OK, maybe that was a cheap shot. Still, Canada has got its fiscal house in order, a range of political parties that can get elected (and is still working on electoral reform), a slightly less odious record of corruption, an independent/respected foreign policy geared towards peacekeeping and gosh, a reputation for being nice (yes, Americans still wear Canadian flag patches when they travel abroad!).

Besides, our brother's global warming is actually making Canada more inhabitable than the US.

Canada's skiing is only second best in the world, though. Hence my choice of avatars (not to mention the right of Canadians to be "hyphenated Canadians").

OK, Pierre's post went over the line.

Tony, call Bush and tell him I said annexing Canada is a go (yes, there is a right wing conspiracy and James king (that's me) is the Godfather). But Tony, tell him we'll cherry pick and just take B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba (the producers). The other provinces would likely be a drain.

Just having fun Canadians! I love you guys!!