Hagel/Bloomberg

Eric Carmen

Now THIS could be very interesting! Chuck Hagel ( straight-talking ex-marine who's disgusted with the current state of the Republican party, and thinks we should get the h*#l out of Iraq, and that it was the worst policy blunder since Vietnam, where he served ) and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg had a meeting today. Hagel is currently deciding whether he's going to run for President as an Independent and thinks he and Bloomberg would make a great ticket. The greatest achievement of George W. Bush may end up being that he bungled everything so badly, and made America so angry, that they elect an Independent President. It would serve the Republicans and Democrats both right. I'm ready for an Independent, what do you think? ec

• Like 1

I agree...I could certainly support Chuck Hagel. As far as independents go, I came close to voting for Ralph Nader in 2000. We do need an Indpendent elected for President. I really believe it could be helpful as far as shaking things up and making it a situation where the Dems and Reps could not take for granted that one of them would have to be elected.

You mentioned Eric, that you were bothered by Obama's lack of experience. I really feel he has as much as John Kennedy did in 1960. Plus Obama is 45 or 46...Granted JFK was 42 back then. I see him as a very viable candidate. Hillary Clinton has too many ties to the past an baggage. If she were elected the last four Presidents would have been Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton. Those families have had a lock on the presidency for too long. It is time for others to be president.

Phil

That could put both parties on their ear!! Make them all step back and gasp in horror that they just couldn't get the job done!! Bush has made it very clear that this war won't be over during his term...so whoever steps in needs to know their a** from their elbow and be willing to do whatever it takes to bring this to an end!! And someone who's actually seen battle and knows what it's about....I'd be willing to bet he'd think twice about jumping into anything head first without a plan!! I hope he does run. Even if he didn't win, it'd probably be enough to scare the britches off both parties!!

Sterling, I like Obama too. He's very well spoken and seems to have his feet on the ground. I liked Bill Clinton, but I don't know if we're ready for Hillary. I'm with you on that. Give someone else a chance!

Ronda

I like Obama, I like Giuliani, but I REALLY like Chuck Hagel. I think this guy's a straight shooter and I don't think he's just saying things to get elected. I love that he's a Republican ex-marine who came out early and said the war was wrong and we neeed to get out. That takes guts. I find him credible, at least at this point and Michael Bloomberg kniows a thing or two about leadership. He's not Mr Charisma but he's a good man. I think we could do a LOT worse. Hillary's unelectable, too polarizing. McCain sold out. He's courting the conservative right now. Hagel looks good. He walks the walk. I think he's a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

I liked BILL Clinton when he was in office despite his incidents with a few select females (his one big mistake, IMO). That said, I voted for Ross Perot both times, mainly because I especially liked his radical thinking.

I didn't like Bush from day one, nor did I like his father. The younger Bush (IMO) was out to do one thing and one thing only, and that was finish was his father couldn't. He's the most oil-greedy son of a b!+c& I've ever known. There is absolutely NO excuse for gas prices to run from less than a buck and a half a gallon (before his first term started) to three bucks a gallon (now). He's running this country to the ground!

As for HILLARY Clinton, I'm not crazy over it. It's a big publicity stunt if you ask me. It makes you think - does Bill want to run the country for another 4-8 years under Hillary's name, or was Hillary running the country under Bill's name for the eight years between the Bushes?

I'd like to see a good indie candidate myself.

BMP

I voted for McCain in the 2000 primary and have already sent him a chunk of my cash for this race. Given the times we're in, I think he's the best presidential candidate we've had in my lifetime...including Reagan who was perfect for his time, and who I adored as a politician. Politics is rough, and McCain might compromise to the point of uncomfort, but IMHO, he's one guy that will never sellout.

And he's got the best looking wife of the lot!!

I watched Obama for some years before he hit the national scene as he was local to and U.S. Congressional candidate from/for my neighborhood (Hyde Park at the time). I differ on many issues from him as my bent is more conservative, and I think sometimes he panders to the putrid segment of the Left. But like I said about McCain, politics is rough and I allow for some of this stuff.

IMHO, Obama is a good, genuine, smart man who I won't vote for, but who will be constructive in whatever position he serves in. He's good for the United States.

Hagel is a good guy. I noticed even in the Clinton years he avoided being pulled into the rhetorical stuff from either side. He stays on point -- no fluff.

The winds are real good for a 3rd party this time since neither major party has an incumbent

pres or veep in the race. Britain has 3 major parties and maybe we should.

The major media won't allow a third party candidate to get any real traction. It will either ignore or belittle such a candidate. He won't be invited to debates in August-October '08. I am afraid that all a candidate like Hagel would do is split consevative voters. I think he should run as a Republican. Obama's voting record in congress suggests that he is way, way to the left. We really need a fiscal conservative.

I've long said I'd support a solid independent candidate just because the two-party system is not, imho, what our founding fathers had in mind.

That said, there is and will always be this major push from both the R and D parties that any vote elsewhere is a "wasted" vote. Until and unless an independent actually can score either a win or at least a substantial showing nationwide they will continue with their self-fulfilling prophecy.

Sadly its just because Chuck Hagel is straight talking and not addicted to spin that he doesnt have a snowball's chance in hell. He would be a great President and, furthermore, any guy with a real military background (like Hagel) isn't going to jump into some intenational conflict willy-nilly without a good chance of winning it. Bloomberg, another good guy and jeez he has the cash that he could run with anybody he wants and fund it! Bloomburg/Paris Hilton or how about a strictly N.Y ticket?, Bloomberg/Guiliani??

If people are still nostalgic for that Clinton mess, forget about Hillary, how about Bloomberg/Chelsea Clinton?? I used to like McCain but he's showing signs of increasing senility. I am not sure he knows what he's saying anymore but he sure mentions Ronald Reagan alot.

Either Plum Wine or he's drinking in Chairman Mao's Little Red Book out there.

do you actually know wtf you are talking about? red book? out there? typical ignorant viewpoint. you should read a little before you make comments like that. history does wonders for one's perspective. i suggest Formosa Betrayed for starters.

tell me, do you even know that the CFR is? (i'm guessing no)

McCain is only about a tick above the H woman in my mind. Still think he would be better than Bush because he'd likely get good people around him and actually listen them.

Still would like to see some 3rd parties in the mix.

McCain would have more democrats around him than Hillary would. frown

Third party. One election, maybe this one, everybody who believes the system is broken needs to just step up and pull the lever for a third party candidate. Don't listen to the crap that it's a wasted vote because the only time you waste your vote is when you don't vote your conscience or beliefs.