Explanations and opinions about some of Pierson¥s faves

Carmen Smalley

As Pierson is maybe my fave member in the forumIÂ¥ll opine about some of his fave albums/artists(they are almost unknown for almost everybody of you since they are Alt music)

About The Smiths.I don¥t like them,but let¥s say Johnny Marr is a good guitar player(But I DON¥T stand Morrissey¥s voice.In fact I DON¥T stand Morrissey).

Liz Fraser(Cocteau Twins)They are not my cup of tea.They were an Art-Punk band based on drummachines,ethereal guitars full of effects and reverbs,and an ethereal and operistic voice.I only like Liz¥s voice on This Mortal Coil¥s cover of Song To The Siren.If anyone of you is fond of New Age Music maybe you¥d like their album Victorialand

XTC.A hard listening band.IÂ¥d say they are a Pop-Prog band.I have listened to them a lot in the past,but I stopped liking them.Nowadays IÂ¥d only listen to Mummer album(Skylarking would be OK if Todd Rundgren had let Andy Partridge enclosing his weird guitar solos).

The Jesus And Mary Chain.I don¥t like them AT ALL.They played Surf/Afterpunk music in an extremely noisy way(like an 80¥s Velvet Underground).They evr used the sound of washing machines,shaving machines,etc in their Recordings

Ivy.From NY .The singer(Woman)is French.I¥d call them Adult Oriented Alt Pop.I don¥t like them either.

I hope is interesting to you..

finally carmen, a band i can discuss with you..XTC. listen to oranges and lemons, nonsuch, and parts of apples and venus & wasp star (apples 2).

andy partridge has written some pop tunes that rival our own ec!!!!( mayor of simpleton, ballad of peter pumpkinhead, the loving etc). yes, i agree the band (whats left of them ) can be hard to listen to at times, but there is some great pop songs in there also.

i wouldn't expect most Raspberries/Carmen fans to dig The Smiths or Morrissey although they should appreciate their melodicism. Check out Morrissey's "Everyday Is Like Sunday" or The SMiths' "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out."

The Jesus & Mary Chain are not entirely noisey... only their 1st album ("Psychocandy") is drenched with feedback & noise--underneath it all is some of the finest rock and roll created ("My Little Underground" and "Just Like Honey" and "Sowing Seeds")--after that they toned it down quite a bit and remained melodic with great stuff like "Head On," "Almost Gold" and "Tumbledown." Even though it's droney, "Stoned & Dethroned" is their most accessible work for the uninitiated and less alt-minded people. It also includes the "hit" "Sometimes Always" which was a duet with Mazzy Star's Hope Sandoval.

Hey Greg.I loved XTC before but I stopped liking them.Nowadays I¥d only listen to Mummer,and maybe Skylarking,also English Settlement.Agood thing XTC had is they used almost a different producer in each record(White Music and Go 2 produced by John Leckie and Drums And Wires produced by Steve Lillywhite),then English Settlement produced by Hugh Padham(great production),Mummer produced by Steve Nye,Bob Sargent and Alex Sadkin(3 producers!!!)The Big Express(The worst album)produced by David Lord,Skylarking produced by Todd Rundgren(although Todd didn¥t let Andy play his weird guitar solos),Oranges And Lemons(Produced by Paul Fox)and then I stopped liking them.Their most hard listening albums are White Music,Go 2(maybe because of their keyboard player by this time Barry Andrews) and Black Sea(because the production is very electronic,processed instruments,etc).Andy¥s solo album Take Away is very hard listening album tooDo you know XTC alter egoes The Dukes Of Stratosphear?

Pierson.I only like a song by Jesus And Mary Chain.Sidewalking.Hope Sandoval voice is OK too.I also like her eyes.

more about Pierson¥s tastes

Blur and Oasis.In the beginning I prefered Oasis to Blur,but when they supported the Irak war I sold their cd¥s.(supporting a war is a blasphemy against St John Lennon,guys!)Now I prefer Blur,although neither Blur nor Oasis are my cup of tea.,anyway Blur are more intelligent than Oasis.

Siouxie.The queen of Goth Punk!I prefer Patricia Morrison from The Gun Club(I LOVE her hair) or even Amy Lee from Evanescence.,but my fave Goth singer is Peter Murphy from bAUHAUS.

Nick Drake.The young and depressed folk singer.When he were alive everybody ignored him,when he suicided everybody started to care about him.IS ALlWAYS THE SAME!!I wonder why people is so stupid.His music is the same being dead or alive.If I can help a person to not to suicide I do it(in fact I already did it).

Pernice Brothers I only know a song by them and another one by Chappaquiddick Skyline.They are a mix of The Smiths and Americana.Not my cup of tea.

The Velvet Underground.Too hyped for my taste.I prefer The Doors much more(in a 60Â¥s Art Rock vein).I remember the first time I listened to Sister Ray(I WONÂ¥T FORGET IT!!!)a REALLY PAINFUL AURAL EXPERIENCE!!!In the other side is Pale Blue Eyes,of course.

Originally posted by Carmen Smalley:

[QB] Blur are more intelligent than Oasis.

YES!, and hold up better over the years...

my fave Goth singer is Peter Murphy from bAUHAUS.

I HATE HIM, SOUNDS WAY TOO PRETENTIOUS, TO BACK IT UP-- NO TEETH, SAY, LIKE RICHARD BUTLER--MURPHY WISHED HE WAS THAT COOL AND PROPERLY AFFECTED...

Pernice Brothers I only know a song by them and another one by Chappaquiddick Skyline.They are a mix of The Smiths and Americana.Not my cup of tea.

YOU CAN'T JUDGE THEM BY ONE SONG--IT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE THE SMITHS, BAR THE GUITARS--THERE'S NO ABSURD LYRICS--IT'S MUCH CLOSER TO BIG STAR'S ACOUSTIC STUFF (i.e. "13" "Ballad Of El Goodo") and Elliott Smith's more upbeat stuff

The Velvet Underground.Too hyped for my taste.I prefer The Doors much more(in a 60Â¥s Art Rock vein).

YES, THE VELVETS ARE HYPED, QUITE A BIT, BUT THE DOORS HAVE MAJOR FLAWS LIKE JIMBO'S PRETENTIOUSNESS (THERE'S PROBABLY A REASON WHY YOU PREFER HIM & PETER MURPHY, AND NOT LOU REED AND JESUS & MARY CHAIN) AND THE DREADED RAY MANZEREK... TODAY, AS I WAS LISTENING TO THE STONES' "Gimme Shelter"--I REALIZED THAT THAT WAS A SONG THE DOORS WISHED THEY COULDA CUT, BUT NEVER COULD... THEY JUST DIDN'T HAVE "IT"-- I WOULD TRADE IN EVERY SINGLE DOORS ALBUM JUST TO HAVE "GIMME SHELTER"--AND PETER MURPHY ALSO WISHES HE COULDA WRITTEN SOMETHING SO BLOODY COOL--HE, TRAGICALLY, DIDN'T HAVE "IT" EITHER...

Crabby Appleton.I only has a single from 1970(Spanish).with Got Back(A side)and Try(B Side).Anyone sold it to me because it was produced by Don Gallucci,who produced The Stooges¥Funhouse,but it much more pop rock oriented than The Stooges.I prefer Try to Got Back(although maybe is a bit more pretentious).

The rock group Crabby Appleton song called "Go Back" went to # 36 back in July of 1970 on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts. The album "Crabby Appleton" went to # 175 back in July of 1970 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts. The group Bubbled Under The Hot 100 Charts with the song called "Lucy" (which was also released as "My Little Lucy") which peaked at # 114 back in November 14, 1970. The album "Rotten To The Core" did not chart. Both albums were re-released on Collectors' Choice Music on CD last year. Matt

and more opinions about Pierson¥s faves.

The Rolling StonesThat Beatles and Rolling Stones rivalry was another R¥n¥R swindle.anyway I love Their Satanic Majesties Request(I have the original copy,if you move the cover then they move their heads)and Paint It Black.I suppose both will be too psychedelic to you.

Brian Eno.I hate him.He¥s a pretentious and a cynical.He said he was a no musician and he really COULD play.He even invented instruments,neither Rick Wakeman nor Keith Emerson invented any instrument.,anyway I like the early Roxy Music and I have no complainings if they pay Before And After Science in a place and I¥m in this place,but No Pussyfooting,Music For Airports,Music For Filmsetc are quite boring to listen to and you can¥t relax while listening to them because they AREN¥T relaxing music either,so I don¥t know what is the real place to listen to them!

Originally posted by Carmen Smalley:

[QB] Pierson.The Church is a VERY pretentious band!

DEFINITELY, but so are The Beatles and David Bowie... i think what makes something "bad pretentious" is the personality of the performer and how they carry themselves (and what they wear etc...)-- The Church (at their best) had some pomposity but it was usually deflated by them never being too grandiose... It never smacks of anything rediculous... whereas bands like Sisters Of Mercy, Peter Murphy can be seriously funny with all the posing and trying way too hard...

Listen to "Gimme Shelter"--it has everything guys like Jim Morrison and Peter Murphy dream of--a sinister, yet seductive rock allure and a timeless magic only the greatest achieve... The Doors had atmosphere and attitude, but nothing quite so entrancing or incredible... and Sisters Of Mercy covered it.... i think

Wilco.I didn¥t listen to them very much.I like the fact of them and Billy Bragg covering Woody Guthrie¥s songs.America needs some up to date Woody Guthries.(Michael Moore could be one of them if he sang)I¥d like to listen to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot anyway

Velvet Crush.Too soft Power Pop for my taste.The singer¥s voice is in the Scott Mc Carl¥s vein

REM.Boring music but great ideology.It would be cool if Michael Stype and Jack White got married.LOL.My theory is that Jack and Meg are brothers and Jack is gay.LOL.Do you like The White Stripes?I don¥t.I only like 2 bands from the "new rock" movement.They are Jet and The International Noise Conspiracy.

Red House Painters.I remember in 1994 or so I tried to join Punk and Prog and they,without being a punk or a prog band but an alt folk band made Yes¥covers.They were too depressing for me.I suppose they made Yes and John Denver and Wings¥covers because by this time it was totally uncool making them and they ran away from the trendy-cool scene they got them in.

I respect Lester Bangs because he was beyond his time.Also Lenny Kaye.I mentioned The Sisters Of Mercy as a band Gord could like,It doesn¥t mean I like them.Anyway I can¥t help Jimbo has a sexual effect on me (I won¥t never know if he talked about abstract geometrics or metaphysics in bed telling that it was more interesting that listening to his breathing.I can¥t help it.Jimbo,Vincent Crane(also RIP),and Mayniard James Keenan from Tool have a great erotic effect on me.(also Beck Hansen of course)Ahhh,sex.That vividly pleasurable thing,mmmmm.

The only problem Tony can have withe some of fave Piersonàs stuff is that some have explicit lyrics(like Velvet¥s Heroin).I think you¥d better to check Straight Edge punk movement out.You are so similar to Straight Edge punks...I bet even you only listen to Brian Wilson stuff signed by Dr Eugene Landy...