My own crap freak movie

Carmen Smalley

LOSTCONTROL. OK,

If you help me I will send you a free Cdof my story ok

I will listen to you, what do I do, I just simply

use microsoft word, yes Or No?

With Microsoft word, I can use the insert without any problem.

A button for NEXT will be good.

So, can you help me on this, Please?

BTW, can you send me the mp3 of your music? I'm not as worldly as Carmen (I have no idea who 90% of the bands are she writes about), but I'd like to hear it anyway.

Actually, I've decided to do something about that Michelle. I suppose that I should give everyone some frame of reference with regard to my past music, so I've put up a tune I recorded in 1990, on my website. This tune was written specifically for me by an amazing writer (one of 2 tunes I've ever recorded which weren't written my me). This song is fully orchestrated and I'm playing bass and all vocals (clue: I'm not a bass player). Anyway, what I would like is for some Eric Carmen fans to listen to this tune because I honestly believe that if you like his stuff, you will like this tune also. In fact (this is absolutely true) some of my good friends (recording engineers) joke about using the "Eric Carmen filter" on my voice because often I sound quite like him, but inadvertently of course. Its just a similarity. Anyway, there are 15 tracks of background vocals which took me 8 hours to lay down in a seperate BG vocal session (I do BG vocals the same way as Queen, so tell me what you think please) and overall its probably one of my best performances, but not very challenging, honestly. The song is a ballad, and please keep in mind that its way old, so the drum sound is outdated - no need to tell me, this I already know! The tune was recorded at Longview (and some other places), and mixed personally by me, and Jesse Henderson (look at your J. Giels records) then mastered at Sony by the great Vlado himself. Then, after kicking around in the can for a few years (mainly while I was recovering from some medical problems) was released in 1996 on a CD, and AFAIK was never played on the air even once (2 other tunes off that record were released as singles). Lastly, my publisher did some research and apparently this tune is the first pop record to end with the lead vocal held out at the end after the music has faded, like an opera tune. At least that's what he says, so no flames please.

Here is the link, which is not referenced anywhere on my site: http://www.asiancastings.com/goodnight.mp3

Tell me if you also think I sound like Mr. Eric Carmen. I hear it everytime someone listens to one of my ballads. I have a couple other ballands, including an unfinished work mix with Tony Vaughn on bass (E, W & Fire/Spyro).

Michael--I know how hard it must be for an artist to lay themselves out there, but man, you got game! There's a lot going on in that production. It will take several more listens to appreciate everything you did. Have to agree on that Eric sound, also. Thanks for sharing--Kirk.

I thank everyone for their kind comments. I should prolly come clean and post the rest of the tunes I've done over the last 10 years or so. The thing is, the best one is an unfinished tune with a really crappy drum sound (I let the kid engineer them, and I was going to trigger samples in the mix later) and I'm not sure that I want everyone to actually hear that. lol The first 1/2 is garbage, but the 1/2 half is worth keeping. Someday I'll get around to re-recording it I think.

Anyway, here is another ballad. I wrote this in 1997, and again, its my mix and Sony's mastering. One of the few tunes I've done with no guitar. I'm doing everything on this tune except sax, bass and drums.

http://www.asiancastings.com/www.mp3 - the song is called "What Went Wrong" and features a great tenor sax solo by the great Jim Allard. Bill West "the only white bass player I will work with" is using his 5 string bass. Also, I call the string section the "Witchita Lineman" effect, hehe. Again, comments welcome, both positive and negative.

Michael-I really enjoyed both songs also. Can you still hit the high notes in the second song?

Thanks Laura. Its fun to revisit these tunes as I haven't listened to them for a long time. Sure I can still hit those notes. As long as I warm up there isn't much difference between 28 and 48 as far as I can tell - except I have better technique these days. I just don't get much practice these days, except for KTV. The really high notes were in the first tune - its A, 2 octaves above middle C, or the highest A on the guitar.

Thanks for the listen, Bushman!

Here's my take on your voice, based on one listen to the first song: sounds like a cross between Eric, Kenny Nolan (I Like Dreamin'), and Don McLean. Very pleasing "ear candy"! Thanks for sharing!

--Julie

Nice job Bushman - You're as close to Eric as anyone I have heard.

Personally, I can't hit the high notes anymore. In fact carrying a tune is getting problematic.

I think I am one of the oldest on this board (born in '39) and things don't work like they used to - and when they do work, they hurt. Heavy sigh!

The truest statement ever uttered is "Youth is wasted on the young."

Ok, so what do we have to do to get EC off his duff and realize he has a very loyal fan base that will help market him?

Ted M.

Nice job Bushman - You're as close to Eric as anyone I have heard.

Personally, I can't hit the high notes anymore. In fact carrying a tune is getting problematic.

I think I am one of the oldest on this board (born in '39) and things don't work like they used to - and when they do work, they hurt. Heavy sigh!

The truest statement ever uttered is "Youth is wasted on the young."

Ok, so what do we have to do to get EC off his duff and realize he has a very loyal fan base that will help market him?

Ted M.

Ted, the thing to do is find a way to motiviate someone to do what they have already accomplished. Its a matter of overcoming BTDT. The problem is, its still the same amount of thrash and BS as always, and there probably isn't enough reward for the soul. That's my personal guess (based on my own experience).

Thanks for the listen, Bushman!

Here's my take on your voice, based on one listen to the first song: sounds like a cross between Eric, Kenny Nolan (I Like Dreamin'), and Don McLean. Very pleasing "ear candy"! Thanks for sharing!

--Julie

Well Julie, all of those people you mentioned are good vocal company to keep! Thank you. smile