Joe Lieberman....

James

....is a great man and a great statesman.

He recently made a trip to Iraq to assess the situation for himself. He came back stating (paraphrasing/in a nutshell):

- that the outlook on our endeavor there was positive and optimistic

- that there has been tremendous progress on the political, military and economic fronts

-that the president does have a plan and that it's working

He said these things knowing that he would risk being ostracized by most in his Democrat party.

But he said them anyways. His reason? (Paraphrasing) "I'm in a position now in my life where I must put the country ahead of partisanship and politics in general. Thus for the good of the American people and the nation, I must tell the truth 100% as I see it. The stakes are too high on this issue to do otherwise".

Agree or not with our foreign policy, the point here is we need to vote more politicians in with the character of this man.

Here's to you,...Senator Lieberman.

Joe Lieberman is one of the few decent people in that rat's nest(Washington D.C.). I think John McCain is another. With as badly as some aspects of that war are proceeding, it makes it easy to concentrate upon them; the dead soldiers, the car bombings, beheadings,prison scandals, media fraud etc. But you have to believe many good things are also being done with the money the U.S. is spending. I think many schools and civic buildings are being built and re-built and many people are being put to work as a result of U.S. programs. The downsides have been so powerful that they are naturally going to be given the majority of the press. But I agree that the U.S. has been trying to do many good things on a social level over there, but its simply not getting the coverage. Clearly its because some of the overall themes and incidents have been so dark. I hope its a story that actually has a happy ending.

....is a great man and a great statesman.

He recently made a trip to Iraq to assess the situation for himself. He came back stating (paraphrasing/in a nutshell):

- that the outlook on our endeavor there was positive and optimistic

- that there has been tremendous progress on the political, military and economic fronts

-that the president does have a plan and that it's working

He said these things knowing that he would risk being ostracized by most in his Democrat party.

But he said them anyways. His reason? (Paraphrasing) "I'm in a position now in my life where I must put the country ahead of partisanship and politics in general. Thus for the good of the American people and the nation, I must tell the truth 100% as I see it. The stakes are too high on this issue to do otherwise".

Agree or not with our foreign policy, the point here is we need to vote more politicians in with the character of this man.

Here's to you,...Senator Lieberman.

I listen to Imus in the Morning too

Tony C is right on! To take it a step further, Joe should have been VP in 2000, as part of that great ticket with my favorite American politician, wild Al Gore! (Seriously.)

I've often wonder if Joe L. helped make that election "too close to call" -- or if he cost the Dems the election.... Maybe another VP choice would have made the difference. (I know, I know --if Al had won his own state, he'd have been President Gore!)

Well, enough backward-glancing politics. Onward and upward....

I liked Howard Dean till he had that screaming pschotic break with reality during the 04 election primaries. Showed somewhat poor judgement pretending to be a raving lunatic during a presidential primary. I'm convinced theres a "darkside" Howard Dean who most likely would have taken the country down the path of fascist totalitarianism with him at the helm. Im sure he's a warm and caring family doctor though. His patients swear by him.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Stewart of the Daily Show once describe Joe Lieberman as a candidate for people who don't think President Bush is "jewish enough".

The problem here is this; Lieberman says that the outlook on our endevour is "positive" and optimistic. I don't agree. People claim that the press isn't reporting the positive things that are going on in Iraq like building schools and rebuilding thier economy. But that's not the reason that the administration said we needed to topple Hussien. We weren't supposed to be going there to establish a bulwark of democracy. We were there because we were told that Iraq posessed weapons of mass destruction. VX nerve gas? Non-existant. The alleged acquistion of Yellow Cake Uranium from Niger? That was proven by ABC news to be not true and the documents were found to be fraudulent. Now am I supposed to believe our intent was to "spread freedom"? You don't change the rationale for war because it's convenient.

Secondly, I'm highly skeptical that the president has a plan. I really do think that this administration went to war with no clear cut strategy to win the peace. We needed at least 350,000 troops on the ground to maintain order. We have only about 140,000. And now they are fighting a guerrila war against an unseen enemy. One of the biggest mistakes was disbanding the standing army in Iraq. Now we have to train and build a police force from the ground up. Meanwhile Kim Jong Ill HAS acquired nuclear weapons. And Iran is in the process of acquiring them.

If this is the truth as Joe Lieberman sees it then it's time he gets some new glasses. Iraq is a mess. The administration has bungled the job there. Now the entire region is teetering on the brink if civil war. Joe Lieberman could have stood up and said that this was wrong but he fell into line with the rest of the Neocons rather than have Donald Rumsfeld question his patriotism.

Jeepers, if I'd known Lieberman feared Rumsfeld....if I'd know Lieberman's motivation when determining his policy positions was to not be branded negatively by Rumsfeld.....if I'd know all this I never would have started this thread with such an effusive endorsement of the man.

How could I have been so wrong about this man?!!?

James, still agree with your first assessment. I dont see anything particularly bad about forming the opinion that its too early to pull out now based on things he saw on the ground. I dont think he's a shill for the Republicans, just a guy who is capable of thinking about the complexity of all this, something Bush's buddies didnt do enough of up front.