American Top 10: Really sounding cheap

Billy K.

For a number of years, Kasey Kasem was doing American Top 40. It was whittled down to just the Top 20 songs, a couple of years ago. Recently, I heard the show, and it was down to only the top 10 songs.....with a bunch of old stuff to fill things out.

Is it a case of the lack of new good songs? Or is it that the producers are just being lazy?

Billy I'm probably dating myself here, but, since they stopped pressing and selling 45's, the 'Single' record format died for me and for all intents and purposes, so did the Top 40 chart. Do people actually still buy "Single's" as such? I don't think that this format sells anywhere in the numbers that it used to, thus making the Top 40 almost irrelevant.

Marvin

Marvin, actually there is a "closet" demand for singles. People are sick of buying full-length CDs just to get one or two songs, so many people have resorted to downloading(legal or illegal versions).

Bottom line is, though, regardless of what form of media they get their music---everything from 45 to mp3---the question is "what is the most popular?"

Keep in mind that Top 40 radio is based on requests/airplay and not neccessarily unit sales, although it is most likely to go hand in hand.

With that criteria in mind, you think they would be able to come up with more than ten songs.

I don't know Billy. Just call me old-fashioned or a purist, but the Top 40 (regardless of the quality of music), just is not the same hallowed ground that it used to be for me. I used to eagerly await each issue of Billboard or each Kasem program to see and hear what was on top of the charts. My memories of this are vivid. I'll never forget way back when listening each week to hear if this was going to be the week that "All By Myself" would hit #1. That allure no longer exists.

Marvin

Well as much as I'm not a fan of today's "Hits", I won't ever say that it sucks. Saying this would automatically turn me into my dad! I recall very clearly 30+ years ago when he would shake his head in disgust at some of the songs that were "Hits" back in the early 1970's. I will say this though, he was the first one who turned me onto Pop music 'cos the very first 45 he bought me was a song that he liked: "No Matter What" by Badfinger.

Marvin

I still think the quality is suffering terribly even from what our Dads hated! Mine would *really* be disgusted if he heard some to most of what is happening today. Every generation has had its "disgusted" (or at least bemused) parents, but I think unequivocally that the music itself is far below the quality of what it used to be.

frown --D

Darlene, I have to agree with you. The music today and the music from the 70's (when I grew up) is so different. That era had it's share of "bad" music, but today's "music" seems to be filled with so much hate. Then you have shows like American Idol where essentially all they really are is Karoke night. I just saw Richard Marx on TV tonight saying the same thing. Im not a fan of his, but he has a point. It's just basically people standing up and singing to backing tracks. Rap music is a contridition in terms in my opinion. In 20 years are the kids of today going to be listening to Eminem and looking at each other and saying "They're playing our song"? Even hard rock has changed, they dont sing , as much as scream (now THAT staement does sound like my Dad! LOL), but it's true.

In every generation, there is good stuff and there is crap. And there are always highs and lows.

Taking a look back,I personally did not look forward to what the mid-70s would bring. My favorite 60s bands---Beatles, Cream, Creedence, Doors---had all split up. "The 70s are really going to suck", I'm thinking to myself. But eventually, I warmed up to Elton and Zeppelin.

Same with the punk movement. Didn't get it at first. Didn't think much of Elvis Costello then. But I got to understand and appreciate his music. Same thing with New Order, which I didn't like at first but became one of my favorites.

Currently, though, is the longest amount of time where I've gone, where I haven't done similar turnarounds. Today's music scene, as a whole, is the weakest I've ever seen. It truly is!

I've always tried to keep "current" on new bands, and yesterday I was trying to think of the last "new" band or musician that I got into. You know what? I couldn't think of any! The last "new" band I liked was Hootie & The Blowfish, the newest artist is Liz Phair. and they've both been around for 10 years! I've gone to Tower records and tried listening to new bands on thier listening posts there, but found nothing I liked. I tried newer groups like The Darkness and Jet, because I had heard one song from each of them. When I went through the rest of thier CD's, I found the rest of songs boring, unremarkable, or just plain garbage. They say the music scene reinvents itself every 10 years or so, so maybe we're heading for a change pretty soon.

Quote:
They say the music scene reinvents itself every 10 years or so, so maybe we're heading for a change pretty soon.
Gawd, I hope so. I think we're at least 3 years past that point.

I'll stick my neck out a bit and mention a band known as "The Calling." They had a major debut album about 2 years ago and then seemed to fade away (don't they all these days?). I heard something new from them the other day that was excellent. Might be we have a new power-pop group in our future.

Today's music, for the most part, is unlistenable.

Ted

Did you ever see the commercial for American Express gift certificates? The one where the older nerdy type guy is in a heavy metal record store, and he goes to put headphones on at a listening station, and throws the headphones of his head when he hears what's playing? That was me at Tower when I listened to "The Darkness"!

A couple of people told me they were like early Queen. Sorry, I didn't see the comparison...In fact I almost ran out of the store! LOL

Jeff

Did you ever see the commercial for American Express gift certificates? The one where the older nerdy type guy is in a heavy metal record store, and he goes to put headphones on at a listening station, and throws the headphones of his head when he hears what's playing? That was me at Tower when I listened to "The Darkness"!

A couple of people told me they were like early Queen. Sorry, I didn't see the comparison...In fact I almost ran out of the store! LOL

Jeff

I agree. A fag singer does not a super group make.

NHBUSHMAN, I first discovered, The Darkness, when I was on Muchmusic.com, and their was three videos to watch plus a Christmas video, all are great songs to me, I like only the three videos and the christmas one.

The Darkness are rockers too.

I didn't see the The Darkness as a Queen group, I thought these guy were a little behind their times, like a 70's times, trying to bring back full rock n roll with a bang.

They did, they won an award too.

The album, Permission to Land, is not too bad.

I give the guys credit, where credit is due.

Actually, they reminded me of, Spinal Tap, a parody of that group.

Remember, The Rutles, LOL

A parody of The Beatles, I liked watching The Rutles on the television, when it showed twice, then that was it.

I;m going to check now and see if they have a website, I'll let you know.

//ericcarmen.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" /> :

NHBUSHMAN, PLEASE DON'T SAY "FAG", they are gay, or gay couples, or homosexuals.

I don't agree either, I know, I don't like to read the word, Or hear the word, please, please

Ok, thank you

Gord, thank you for saying please. Here's how it is man - being homosexual is a choice, its not a race or ethnicity. Therefore, a word like "fag" cannot be a slur. Someone might not like it, but its not like being called "guilo." I have personal experience with a homosexual family member who quit the lifestyle. This gives me something of a unique perspective that very few people have. Don't let the PC Nazis tell you how to think and speak Gord. Its as simple as that.

Gord, The thing is The Darkness aren't a parody group. They want to be taken seriously, which I for one can't! LOL

Jeff

Jeff, a friend of mind was raving about them. I went to MTV.com (a first for me) and heard some tune which I think is "a thing called love" or some such - I don't remember. Everytime the singer broke into that falsetto my jaw dropped. People were calling him "operatic" (yeah, people who have never heard opera before), "powerful" (baffling), etc. etc., all the while thinking that the best description would be "embarrassing."

• 5 weeks later...

Quote:
Originally posted by Poor4Life:

Gord, The thing is The Darkness aren't a parody group. They want to be taken seriously, which I for one can't! LOL

Jeff

Jeff, a friend of mind was raving about them. I went to MTV.com (a first for me) and heard some tune which I think is "a thing called love" or some such - I don't remember. Everytime the singer broke into that falsetto my jaw dropped. People were calling him "operatic" (yeah, people who have never heard opera before), "powerful" (baffling), etc. etc., all the while thinking that the best description would be "embarrassing."
LOL, Michael I thougth the same thing!...Did you get a look at the guy also?...there's definetly someone who should NOT be seen as well as heard!

Jeff