ipod/equivilent questions

Julie

We're getting a new car and decided to NOT get the 6-disc CD thingy as it has a front jack and a holder for an iPod.

So, what do I get? I don't want to sound like an idiot, but do iPod's have MP3's on 'em, or is it another format? (don't have time to Google and read and research--coming right to you guys that are in the know).

I'm going to assume that the imput jack on the car will work with things other than iPods, am I correct?? Are there other brands of these things--some kind of generic??

Do I really want the shuffle?? Do you have any choices on what pops up with that thing? I mean, can you override it. Say, if I'm only in the mood to listen to Christian music and not rock and roll??

Any help/advice would be great. We're getting the car tomorrow!

Thanks bunches!

--Julie

Get an iPod…there is *no* substitute! There's a reason that Apple iPods represent over 75% of the portable music players in the country -- they ROCK! And yes, they play MP3s, along with a number of other file formats. All iPods have "shuffle" as a feature. You don't ever need to use it. Shuffle just means that they'll mix up your tracks and surprise you with what's next. Sometimes that's fun. The capacity of what is called the iPod Shuffle is too small for all of your tunes and is meant primarily for joggers. Take a look at the iPod Nano or iPod with Video, they're large enough for your library.

Bernie

PS: It's not just the iPod hardware that's great, but iTunes is equally revolutionary. Apple has sold over a billion songs with that software and now ranks among the top music retailers. Plus it'll effortlessly let you digitize all of your existing CDs. And it runs on Macs and PCs.

Julie, if you haven't made the final decision, get the 6-disc thingy with the jack and iPod holder.

But, assuming it's too late - an iPod will play MP3s if that is what you put on them (you will need to load iTunes and put the MP3s in your music library to do this). If you buy songs via iTunes they will be MP4s and only play via the iPod or through iTunes on your computer. All music on your iPod is loaded via iTunes software. (I hope I am not confusing you).

The good news is you can create playlists in iTunes from your master library and play only the playlist you want. So, a Christian music playlist(s) can be created separately from a R&R playlist(s)or a Country playlist(s) or...you get the idea.

As for the car, without the jack, iPod music can be played through the car stereo but it's not an easy process (too long to get into here).

In short, iPods are awesome. If you haven't already done so, I suggest you go to www.apple.com and click on iPods & iTunes. Then read a lot so you can make an informed decision. I don't think a Shuffle is the way to go - but that's a personal choice.

If you want you can send me a PM and we can do this off line.

Good Luck

I don't own an iPod, but I've spoke to several audiophiles who complain that the sound quality of downloads from iTunes is not as good as regular CD's. The reason bieng that the files are compressed. I've downloaded several songs from iTunes and burned them onto CD, and I have noticed a difference, although not as dramatic as some of them say...

Jeff

Thanks for the "input"!! I appreciate it! I'm thinking Nano at this time. Maybe when we've had a chance to save some cash, we can get the new iPod so we'll each have one (me getting the bigger, better one of course--I'm the one with the big music library!)

Ya, it's too late to get anything different. The dealer drove to Wisconsin today to pick it up for us, but the car has a single CD player and MP3 player plus the ipod jack right on the front of the radio (2006 Impala LTZ)----sure will be a step up from that 1969 diesel tractor/trailer we have with a doghouse and the rust flakes......

I did download some music from the iTunes store last year for our wedding reception, so will have to go back and check the site out.

I really appreciate the advice! I knew you guys would be informed! Can't wait!!

--Julie

Jeff,

You can use a higher compression level when you digitize your own CDs. iTunes downloads are at a lower compression level that *I* honestly don't object to, but some more discerning ears say a side-by-side comparison shows them inferior to the original source. That's only true when playing the CDs on an expensive sound system. I'll bet most people can't tell the difference.

Bernie