Favorite Monkee

rockerreds

• 4 weeks later...

Of course, as a fan of underappreciated folk-rock singer John Stewart, I'll always love the Monkees for making "Daydream Believer" a huge hit. I saw John at a folk club last week, and as always, he was awesome. He still performs his folksy version of "Daydream Believer," and it's a very poignant reading.

By the way, John tells the great story of how his original line in the 2nd verse was:

"You once thought of me

As a white knight on his steed

But now you know how funky I can be"

The Monkees' record label wouldn't let Davy Jones sing "funky" (!), so their producer, Chip Douglas, called John and said they were changing "funky" to "happy." John said, "But that doesn't make any sense!"

A few months later, "Daydream Believer" was selling in the zillions, and John called Douglas and said, "Chip, 'happy' is working great!"

Cute story, and true, too. And like "All By Myself" keeps popping up everywhere, so does "Daydream Believer." U2 played it during a tour a few years ago, and now eBay is using it in a TV commercial most of you have probably seen.

--Larry

Mike

Just FYI, although Mike sang "What am I doing Hanging 'Round", he didn't write it. It was written by Michael Martin Murphy who later had success as a country star and had a big hit with "Wildfire" in the 70's. And you know the Monkees "didn't play their own instruments"? The rumor was some of the Byrds played on that song.

• 2 months later...

Just announced that Rhino will reissue the first 6 Monkees albums ("The Monkees", "More Of The Monkees", "Headquarters", "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.", "The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees" & The "Head" movie soundtrack) in both MONO & in STEREO on a 2-disc set with unreleased or previously released material. The first two "The Monkees" (MONO on one disc & STEREO on the other disc) & "More Of The Monkees" (same) comes out on Tuesday, August 15. The Monkees are celebrating their 40th Anniversary this year!! Matt

Mickey, definitely. Total agreement on his vocal talent - instantly recognizable, and underrated. "As We Go Along" is the one that kills me...

BTW, no Byrds on "What Am I Doin' Hangin' 'Round." Douglas Dillard is on banjo, but the guitars are Mike & Peter. However, Neil Young did appear on a few Monkees' tunes (including the aforementioned "As We Go Along").

• 12 years later...

A great old thread that began in 2005, when all four Monkees were still very much alive. Since Peter Tork's death, he has received quite an outpouring of nostalgic love — even more, it seems, than what Davy Jones got. Or maybe it's just that even a few years later, there's just more outlets. 

A few observations: 

— Bernie, I got a kick out of three responses you left on three different days: On 11/03/05, "I gotta go with Mike..." Ten days later: none of them, really. And in  March 2006, back to Mike. :-) 

— I write too much for this day and age! But on this thread, because Ira brought him up, I just had to lay down a couple of posts about the late, great John Stewart, writer of "Daydream Believer," the best Monkees song and one of my favorites by anybody.

— I never gave my own Monkees ranking but at this stage, I'd say: Mike, Davy, Peter, Micky. Mike is such a talented singer/songwriter... and I always thought Davy was the ideal "mini-McCartney" for all of us who just barely missed out on Beatlemania. I met Peter and Micky at an event about 10 years ago, and Micky was pretty curt and irritable. And he seems like such an attention hound. :-) Peter was friendlier and more talkative. And I like his serious musicianship. But, overall, hard to pick a favorite.

— Almost 13 years later, I FINALLY watched this video, as Paulie recommended on page 2: 

When I was a tiny little girl, and my older sisters were watching the original broadcasts, I liked Davy,.

When I was a little older, maybe 10 or 12, and the Monkees were broadcast in syndication either on a NYC or Philadelphia channel, I liked Peter.  

I always have liked the way Peter wore his belt buckle a bit to the side... Gotta protect both the beautiful Gretsch and the Guild Jetstar basses from scratches.... And his cool Ode Banjo, too!

When I was about 15, I got into "the Mike" songs.  Nez is a talented fella!

I would say that Mike and Peter are a tie for me.

NEVER cared for Mickey. Just didn't.  Although I DO enjoy the films of his father, George Dolenz.

:)

• Like 4

• 2 years later...