Eric Carmen

The video in Eric's last post is extremely well done and informative. Of everything I've read, this makes sense, and answers some of the questions we've had over the years. Thanks for posting this one.

There was very little mention of the story here, even though Akron is a mere forty minutes away. Funny how the same television stations that thought that my hitting a fire hydrant was worth five minutes of airtime, only thought this story was worth about 20 seconds.

Kind of makes you wonder if all the coverage of Britney Spears, Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan is just a diversion meant to keep us all focused on trivial nonsense, while the really big stuff gets swept under the rug.

http://discuss.epluribusmedia.net/node/2164

It also could be that the Spears, Hilton, Lohan stuff is really easy to report. The other things like voter fraud, conspiracies, homeland security, etc. take a lot of work...no doubt.

Kind of connected to this point..I will never forget Coach Joe Paterno in a commencement address he gave at Penn State in 1974. Going back to 1969 his team was undefeated and yet Pres. Nixon gave a trophy to Texas Longhorns for defeating Arkansas and gaining the mythical national championship. Joe said a few years later as the commencement speaker.."How could Richard Nixon know so much about college football in 1969 and so little about Watergate in 1973?"

I remember reading the book "All the President's Men" by Bernstein and Woodward in 1975 or 1976. I was just rivited and could not put it down. the movie with Redford and Dustin Hoffman was also excellent. They say that enrollment in journalism schools increased dramatically at that time. And yet it is so hard to get any real results about the important stories now. Is investigative journalism dead? Do we as a people simply not care? Its really quite sad when you think about it.

Phil

I think the reality is that it takes more time and resources to research and develop the "big" story.

In an age of sound bites and cutbacks, the stations don't have the money, or the desire to really get to the bottom of anything. They just throw whatever story is coming across the wire up there. The less work, the better.

And then, of course, you have television stations, radio stations, newspapers and magazines all owned by a giant conglomerate which in turn is owned by one man (like Rupert Murdoch, for instance, owner of FOX) who has a particular philosophy (right wing) and wants his affiliates espousing HIS views. You're not going to find any hard-hitting critiques of the current administration coming from any of Murdoch's media outlets.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/fortune/0711/gallery.power_25.fortune/2.html

I guess until recently I had never given a lot of lackluster coverage much credence. I always believed that investigative reporting was what the media will do. Unfortunately too many others also have thought that the ABC/NBC/CBS..etc are our watchdogs. Of course most of us know about Rupert Murdoch and his views and ownership of FOX (fair and balanced?!?!..uh don't think so). Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin are entertainers not news media. The problem is that so many people just believe whatever they are espousing.

So, I guess my views are evolving to becoming more sceptical of what is out there. I have bought two books that I intend to read over the Holidays...."The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" by Greg Palast and "Loser Take All" by Mark Crispin Miller...the latter being about election fraud and the subversion of democracy. YIKES....never thought I would be at this point. So, time will tell.

Phil

Hey Tony.....I'm very much a fiscal conservative, but there are times that Ann Coulter makes me cringe. I believe any good argument can be advanced WITHOUT name calling and schoolyard antics. Coulter is a tad crass for me and is merely a personality. She's not unlike Olberman in that sense, or even Hannity and geez even Stern & Imus.

News outlets are in business for one reason, and one reason only nowadays...that's to get ratings and thus move product. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking anything more noble than that.

Finally last I checked, News Corp was a publicly traded company. Murdoch also contributes equally to Democrats as he does to Republicans....why? Because he is a businessman and he understands the ebb and flow of power throughout the world. Murdoch saw a HUGE void on TV and filled it with a right-of-center juggernaut as an answer to CNN. Guess it worked.

John

She lost any remaining credibility with me when she called John Edwards a "fag." She's everything that's wrong with politics in the media today. Her only job is to inflame, and provoke a response, and she'll apparently stoop to any level to achieve that end. I think she's the "love child" of Dick Cheney and Eva Braun.

• Haha 1

Tony! Ann Coulter? She is as vile of a person as I've ever heard when it comes to political and social discussion. If anything, you should forget everything you've ever heard her say.... (I wish I could forget her out-of-control rantings about Al Gore!) Ugh. It's nauseating to see such a sinister "spin-ster" making so much money on book deals....

I think she's the "love child" of Dick Cheney and Eva Braun.

Well now that visual is burned into my mind for the rest of the day. EGADS. LOL.

Actually ec..Eva just wanted a man with two you-know-whats (see earlier thread about Hitler having one you-know-what). eek

Also I reckon Cheney is a good "shot"..just ask the hunting partner he shot in the face two years ago. :Pcrazy

John

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Carmen:

I think she's the "love child" of Dick Cheney and Eva Braun.

Well now that visual is burned into my mind for the rest of the day. EGADS. LOL.

Actually ec..Eva just wanted a man with two you-know-whats (see earlier thread about Hitler having one you-know-what). eek

Also I reckon Cheney is a good "shot"..just ask the hunting partner he shot in the face two years ago. :Pcrazy

John

So, what you're telling us, is that Eva would like a guy who could really fire his guns! laugh

I'd like to examine Ann Coulter's scalp for three sixes, but only with "The Seven Sacred Daggers Of Megiddo" handy.

I'll hate myself in the morning for saying this....but I imagine that would be the first man touching her in a long time. (and I'm fairly conservative at least fiscally). I actually agree with much of what she says...just not in the manner in which she says it.

okay I feel better. LOL

John

Well, I never said I really liked Ann...Just agree with some of her views of the wimpy left, and the idiots in "Gubment" that are bringing this country down to 3rd-world status.

I agree, she is a sharp-tongued mean-spirited right-wing ideologue.

But I think she's smarter than "leaders" like Pelosi, Reid, Frank or...Bush.

Still, I don't think James would accept her application into his harem.

Well, I never said I really liked Ann...Just agree with some of her views of the wimpy left, and the idiots in "Gubment" that are bringing this country down to 3rd-world status.

I agree, she is a sharp-tongued mean-spirited right-wing ideologue.

But I think she's smarter than "leaders" like Pelosi, Reid, Frank or...Bush.

Still, I don't think James would accept her application into his harem.

Tony...evidently, Bill Clinton doesn't want her in his Harem either...heehee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_YzbODb9To&feature=related