Can someone tell me...

hollies65

hollies, such an easy question w/ an easy answer: a better burger can be found here in Austin TX at Hut\'s Hamburgers , home of the "Allen Freed", the "Wolfman Jack", the "Big Bopper", the "Beach Boys Favorite", the "All American Buddy Holly", & the "Fats Domino" burgers!

does your place have musical legend-themed burgers? i didn't think so... ;-)

Never been to an In-N-Out but Five Guys is definitely on the the top of my list! Love the burgers- fried to order and the oh the fries!! There's nothing like that peanut oil taste! The perfect indulgence.

I may have to stop by there for lunch today.

I'll be back in Austin, BTW, the last week of August, and will be sure to do yet another taste test between Hut's and Dan's!!! (both excellent...I just liked Dan's a bit better, even if it is a total dump of a place! I ate at the one in the 5600 block of North Lamar......)

P.S. Danny's post above about Sheetz has intrigued me....I've been going to a Sheetz just up the street from my father's apartment in Richmond, VA, for the past 4 years, mostly to gas up and buy sodas and junk food for my ride back to DC. Now, I need to try one of their burgers!.......

The best we can offer here in SW FL is "Cheeburger Cheeburger"....where they feel that size is all that matters. As I told my wife years ago on our first date, size isn't the ONLY thing that matters. laughspinwink

We do have a Five Guys which just opened up in Naples....also a Fatburger..but I haven't tried either yet.

Personally, I like grilling my own blue cheese-infused burgers with all the fixin's (angioplasty upon request).

John

I've never had an In and Out Burger, but I swear the best burger I've ever had no longer exists. Our Brunswick Square Mall in East Brunswick once had a restaurant called Bun 'n Burger and that Burger was the like filet mignon on a bun. Topped with onions cooked to perfection, the most delicious dills and liquid CHEESE (one of my favorites anyway), this was the closest to Heaven I've ever gotten with a burger.

Anyone have a Bun n Burger near you ever?

smile --Darlene

Sounds great John!

Hollies, I have an "In and Out" right on the way home from work. They are just OK burgers to me. They toast their buns, so you have to eat them right away or the temp drops and they taste kind of stale if you reheat them. They are good, but I would take a Fatburger (LA) or Carl's Jr Famous Star (with extra special sauce) over In and Out most days. If you order "Animal" style at In and Out (Grilled onions and extra dressing)then the taste gets better, but again, you have to eat them within the first 5 minutes or they seem to get cold fast.

Hey Darlene:

I know Rt 18 well.....I used to live a chip-shot away from the Bruswick Square Mall about 20 years ago. I forgot about Bun-n-Burger. Oooh that cheese-food-liquid stuff was great on their fries. (I think they had those square fries or maybe that was roll-n-roaster's fries in Sheepshead Bay).

anyway...wow....how's traffic on 18 these days?

John

Great...now I'm "Jonesing" for a big greasy burger.

I'll be back in Austin, BTW, the last week of August, and will be sure to do yet another taste test between Hut's and Dan's!!!

johno, your austin literacy rate is very high, indeed.. dan's is great of course, & is a legendary burger joint. if you didnt have the onion rings at huts, tho', you may be missing the whole point. but if u r really serious when u come to town, u better try dirty martin's comeback burgers on the univ of texas drag (aka "dirty's", on guadalupe st.). you will then have completed the holy triumvirate of austin burger joints (some may say not so if u didn't eat at hilbert's, top notch, or burger tex either)

I'm with Hollies- not too much meat in my burger. Another thing that makes In-'N-Out better is the sponge dough they use for their buns. Another favorite (and not too much meat) is Tommies Chili Cheese Burger. No lettuce (thank you), just this huge slice of tomato dominating the middle of the burger, along with pickles, chili and some mustard.

Somebody send Paulie a tainted Big Mac that has been left out in the Sun too long, for that tasteless burger-joint remark!

Just what is it that people LOVE about In and Out? confused

I've tried them about 20 times and they are good to very good, but not great...Maybe I just don't care for toasted burger buns that go stale in 5 minutes...