Mooch fired!!

Matthew C. Clark

They fired Detroit Lions head coach Steve Mariucci this afternoon despite 4 wins & 7 losses including the turkey game against Atlanta 27 to 7! mad Who's next, quarterbacks Joey Harrington or Jeff Garcia?? angry They should bring in quarterback Ricky Ray (from the 2005 Grey Cup Champions Edmonton Eskimos) instead! mad Matt P.S. Da Bears win Central Norris Division!!!

You are right Laura -- Matt Millen has been making promises for years. He should go. And if anyone should be fired in that division it ought to be Mike Tice. As for Mooch, I'd love to see him back with the Packers. That is where he started and he and Favre are best friends.

I was sorry to hear that Steve Mariucci was fired. He seems like a classy guy who has become a scapegoat for others not living up to their obligations. If he joins Green Bay, I hope that he doesn't become the Packers' head coach, because I also think that Mike Sherman is another classy head coach, who I want to remain with the team.

The Detroit Lions are cursed, I am convinced of it. I think it has something to do with the Ford family but I am still attempting to decipher it. For years, the nation has been subjected to this horrible style of football and losing, and on a national holiday to boot! Its time we citizens rose up and said " enough's enough!" No more fumbles, pass interference calls, and interceptions while we are consuming such great holiday meals. The Detroit Lions could not succeed with 9 seasons of Barry Sanders and that speaks more than words can possibly convey. A petition to banish them to the Canadian football league would be appropriate. The Detroit Lions need to keep a franchise diary so they could read it and learn from their horrific play over the years. The last time they had a quality quarterback Elvis was in the charts with "Cant help falling in Love" and Eric had just entered junior high. I say move this franchise to Key West and replace everyone.. Hire some surfers, beach bums, maybe ex Beach Boys, and some of those guys down there that follow Rogers and Hammerstein. At least it would be a more entertaining team. Fire all em; Mooch, Millen, Joey Heatherton, the whole lot of em. Sadly, I grew up in the Detroit area. My childhood was traumatized by last minute Lions errors leading to sudden Chicago Bears victories. The Lions were a blight on the local culture, a dark forboding omen of doom and mishap that arrived every Fall and disappeared in early winter. Thankfully. No more Detroit Lions, its time we as Americans work to remove the serious social problems that are plaguing our nation.

What is the real reason Barry Sanders retired in his prime, just before he sets the all time rushing record? Was it Bobby Ross? Bobby Ross saved the Chargers in the early 90's and took them to their only Super Bowl. Then he pisses off the GM, gets canned to Detroit, and takes them to the playoffs...then Barry just quits and it's all downhill from there. I always wondered what happened over there in the motor city...

I got this from a friend of mine -- after the Thanksgiving game in Detroit, the Lions had the weekend off -- one of the players is from the city I live in here in Connecticut -- he was back home and at a local hang out -- he told my friend that Marriucci lost total control of the team, it was so bad that a few of the receivers were not showing up to meetings and made their own hours for practice -- Millen had to make a move or he ran the risk of the team just mailing it in for the rest of the season.