10 Habits of Happy Couples

Bessieboo

I have been doing a little thinking on what are the habits we need for a happy marriage.

Make the effort

Talk

Touch

Date

Spend time apart

Let small things slide

Fight fair

Stay intimate

Say thank you

Don't keep secrets from each other

+1 Keep it surprising

What have I missed, do you have more ideas ?

Considering that I have never been married, I'm going to share what I think it takes to successfully avoid marriage.

1. Always keep your options open.

2. Make a BIG deal about small things.

3. Never say anything that reveals your inner-most feelings.

4. Keep him (or her) on their toes by letting them think there might be someone else.

5. Remember to keep your options open.

If things start getting too serious, buy a book on pre-nups and leave it on the coffee table next to the remote controls.

There you have it! Words for the single person to live by! laugh

Oh, yes - thank you for reminding me, Marvin. If you want to avoid marriage, go to church. Churches are full of married people. The more time you spend with married people (especially ones who have kids), the less chance there will be of meeting single people to date. This is almost a GUARANTEED way to solidify anyone's commitment to avoid commitment.

Truth be known, I hate being single. Especially on New Year's Eve. Last year when the ball dropped all the couples kissed and turned and went "Happy New... oh that's right. I have no one!".

A friend of mine gave me some advice years ago that I'll never forget. He said "Robb, when you get married or move in with someone you make sure you get a couch with a pull out bed". When I asked why he said; "Because I guarantee you'll be sleeping on that couch at least once a month. And you're going to want to be comfortable".

Thanks Scott!

Oh, yes - thank you for reminding me, Marvin. If you want to avoid marriage, go to church. Churches are full of married people. The more time you spend with married people (especially ones who have kids), the less chance there will be of meeting single people to date. This is almost a GUARANTEED way to solidify anyone's commitment to avoid commitment.

Hmm...maybe my suggestion was misconstrued. Kristy and I met in church 20 years ago, and we knew that we at least had that foundation in common.

No one mentioned "have sex all night long". What's up with that? Laughing is important, especially in this day and age. Mutual interests, unless its Al Gore. Gardening, animals,and cleaning are all good mutual interests. Meeting in Church, as mentioned above, is good unless its some sort of Satanist church or worse yet one of those Christian-corporate churches where you cant see the minister youre sitting so far away. Meeting at Burger King even better or having sex in the parking lot at Burger King (all night long) has been important to many developing relationsips. Avoiding Dr. Phil and television also quite important and a mutual love for Wally Bryson's guitar playing has certainly helped many couples. Why do Canadian couples always do it doggie style? So they can watch the hockey game together at the same time. Multi-tasking, ah..

MEL!!

I understand where Marvin is coming from. My Uncle took his first dates to Church. A friend's brother took his future wife to Church on their first date (prompting my friend to ask her brother what his winning line was ...."Hi, do you like God?")

There are plenty of single folks in Church.

This is a good thread. I think it's important on sites like this that we share information.

My system?

We (the Board of Directors of The James Harem)..we have evaluations of the Harem members every 2 years. If a chick has turned 19 (mandatory retirement age), or she has not pleased James in some way, or she has just become tiresome to James, then she is purged.

It has worked well for me..

The mom of one of my high school friends had this advice for us on our wedding video:

COMMUNICATE!!! VENT if necessary, but communicate. Unresolved anger will come out later in the worst of ways.

WORK AT IT! A good marriage doesn't happen by itself. You can't just go off and leave it untended. Work at it every day.

Finally, don't take yourself too seriously and laugh together at yourselves and other things often.

And never take each other for granted. Look for all the traits you fell in love with years ago.

This beautiful lady, Helen Schallock, passed away a few years ago, but she had a wonderful marriage and raised four fine sons. She was a great friend and I miss her and her wisdom.

smile --Darlene

This is a good thread. I think it's important on sites like this that we share information.

My system?

We (the Board of Directors of The James Harem)..we have evaluations of the Harem members every 2 years. If a chick has turned 19 (mandatory retirement age), or she has not pleased James in some way, or she has just become tiresome to James, then she is purged.

It has worked well for me..

:rolleyes: Sheesh.

Uh, James, maybe my math isn't too good, but if you retire them at 19 and only have the meeting every 2 years, that means you started them at age, uh-oh...SEVENTEEN insane

Some good lists and suggestions. We're celebrating 30 years this year smile Kirk.

I don't know if this will get me flagged from the board but....

One way to keep things "happy" is to do the daily ritual to "Go All The Way" Remember boys and girls ...that's a

"BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.....boom-boom-boom.....BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.... boom-boom-boom....Oh my my my baby!!!! (remember....don't forget the Oh Baby cause that might really get her annoyed)