What musicians have you guys met?...

Poor4Life

Recently in the message forum I started a post about my "experiance" of meeting Chuck Berry a cuople of years ago.I won't repeat it again here, but if your interested you can read about it there. Sincde writing about that, and seeing JulieD's post about how she could have met Eric, I got to thinking are there any of you that have been able to meet any of your favorite musicians, and did they fail or live up to yopur expectations of them? Mine are as follows:

1)Journey (2001)- I have a friend who's husband grew up down the street from Johnathan Cain. So whenever they come to town my friend and her husband get free tickets and backstage passes. This particular time they had 2 extra tickets and asked if I wanted to go. (like I would have said no!)Anyway we went backstage and the group was seated at folding tables waiting for everyone to come in. They looked tired, and like thay didn't really want to be there, but graciously talked with everyone and signed whatever was put in front of them. Steve Augeri was exceptionally nice. When I asked if I could have a picture taken with him, he lept from behind the table, and told my wife to take 2 incase the first one didn't come out.

2)John Waite (2001)- I can't say enough good things about this man! After his show he spent a half hour signing and taking pics with every fan that was waiting for him, even though his manager was trying to pull him away. (He had an interveiw to go to)On his website there is a Q&A section where you can ask him things. My wife and I just got another handwritten letter each from him this week. (My wife is in love)

3)Cheap Trick (2002)- Actually I met Rick Neilsen and Robin Zander after one of thier shows. Rick Neilsen is just about how you would expect him. He had everyone laughing. Before the show I found the tour bus and he almost bumped into me coming off it! He was in a hurry to get to the stage, but still took the time to sign a CD for me. Robin is kind of quiet but gracious. He also signed my album and CD, took a picture with me. When I commented on how good his only solo CD was he looked surprised and said "thanks alot, glad you liked it"

4)The Knack (2002)- Like John Waite, Doug Feiger did everything to accomodate the fans. He stood for 2 pics with me, my wife, my friend, and signed everything. Before he left he made sure everybody got what they wanted.

5)Lou Gramm (2003)- Three days before we saw him he had been hospitalized with bronchittis. I don't know if any of you are aware of Lou's recent health troubles. He had a Brain tumor removed a few years ago, and because of all the medications and steroids he's now on, it has altere his appearance drastically. I was standing 20 feet from him before the show and didn't even know it was him until I heard two people talking to him say "goodbye Lou" He was obviously not feeling well and even told me so. he signed my Foreigner 4 Lp, but since he's now sensitive to his appearance (not to seem mean or insensitive, but think Wavy Gravy) he declined in a nice way. I really feel for him, but he's still out there singing!

6)Ringo's All Starr Band (2003)- When we got to the venue we were parked by the buses. The roadies were barbequeing on a grill and evryone was waiting for Ringo's arrival. Funny thing was nobody noticed except myself (being the HUGE music fan I am)that Colin Hay, Paul Carrack, and Mark Rivera were standing there waiting for thier food!Luckily I came prepared, I had brought either a CD or album by all the members just in case. I went up to Colin Hay asked him to sign his latest Cd and in that Austrailian accent he said "sure, mate!" next I spotted Paul Carrack sitting in a lounge chair by the bus about 20 feet away, drinking a glass of wine. I didn't want to infringe (Listening JuliaD?) so I just showed him I had a copy of his new CD, and he literally jumped out of his chair and said "Oh you've got the new one, I see!" He stood for 2 pics with me, and thanked me.Next, Mark Rivera was standing by the grill so I pulled out a copy of an LP he did when he was with a group "Tycoon". When he saw that he freaked! He told me if I didn't mind he had to go show Sheila E the album. With that she came walking up the sidewalk with her kids, and just laughed at him. Didn't meet John Waite that time nobody knew where he was at, When Ringo did arrive on the other side of the building the whole crowd that had gathered went running. I figured there was no way I'd have a chance to meet him (He probably flashbacked to 1964 when he saw that crowd running toward him!)

Well, that's it other than the Chuck Berry incident.Oh yeah, Davy Jones waved at me from across the parking lot a couple of years ago,but can't count that! Now let's hear from you guys!

Jeff

I've met a lot of world-class ski racers who are extremely famous in Europe. However, since Americans are obsessed with football and baseball and such, only the names Tommy Moe, Franz Klammer, and Phil and Steve Mahre would be recognized, perhaps.

As far as music goes, I've met only David Cassidy. Does he count?

Cool Marvin!

Davey Johnstone what was he like? Years and years ago a friend of mine had a cousin that ran into him at a hotel bar after a show, and he kept denying that he was in fact him. Finally after cajoling him a few minutes, he fessed up and they ended up having a few drinks together.

A pheonomanal guitarist and has an Eric connection since he played on "Boats..."

I met Brian Hyland when I was 14 years old, along with the Angels and The Belmonts. I was crazy about Brian Hyland for a long time.

I met Gary Kris from The Glass Bottle (I Ain't Got Time Anymore)

I met Eric. He's very intelligent, very nice and very personable.

I once shared an ear of corn on a dock in Perth Amboy with Harry Chapin, whom I just adored! He invited everyone to his home to a concert for charity and we went.

I went to the One Year Anniversary Arista party after the concert in which Eric was supposed to appear. Someone introduced me to Barry Manilow's bass player and he asked me to go to the party with him and I did. At the party I met Melissa Manchester, who was a sweetheart, Clive and a host of other people I can't remember, including a lot of deejays. I met Barry Manilow who was very surly. (Must've been a bad night for him).

In classical music, I've met so many artists I can't even remember them all: Zino Francescatti, Salvatore Accardo (my favorite violinist--a real sweetheart), Jacqueline DuPre, cellist (before she died), Maurice Eisenberg, cellist (before he died), Michael Tree and Arnold Steinhardt of The Guarneri Quartet (I studied with Michael's father, Samuel Applebaum), Ruth Laredo, pianist, Nadia Salerno-Sonnenberg, Joshua Bell, Hilary Hahn (a darling!), and Rachel Barton, all violinists. A host of conductors too. The only person who was an absolute pteradactyl was conductor George Szell. He gave me an autograph when I was 16 and said "There, now get the hell out of here!" The stork who brought him must have been a vulture.

Wow Darlene! very impressive. How cool that you met Eric. Since you spent time with Harry Chapin you must consider that a moment you won't forget since he's gone. Too bad about Manilow, must have been a bad night, he doesn't seem like the type to be that way. As far as the conductor, he must know Chuck Berry! (LOL) I forgot to mention I also met Liz Phair last weekend although only enough to get an autograph. She was in a hurry and had to get to her son who was on the tour bus. I did meet Walter Payton about 12 years ago. My wife and I were in alocal record store here in Chicago one night. The place was empty except for a few customers, We were browsing the Cd bins, when my wife said "Isn't that Walter Payton?" I looked up and right across facing me was Walter! He must have heard what my wife said because he looked at me , gave me that sweetness smile and said "How ya'll doin?" I could have gotten his autograph i suppose but since he was with his daughter who was probably 7 or 8 at the time I decided to leave him alone. As we were leaving other customers started to recognize him and just surrounded him. Now that he's gone I regret a bit that I didn't get an autograph, but at the time I felt he deserved some privacy.

I haven't met too many. I met all the guys from Warrant, Clint Holmes, and Gary Puckett. That's all I can think of right now that I literally had a conversation with.

Now comedians, I've met dozens of, almost every one who was popular in the 80's. And I've met a lot of soap stars. My favorites were David Canary and Jack Scalia.

I was in the Toys R Us in NYC with my future wife when I saw Davey. This would have been around 1991 or so and exactly one week after seeing Elton at a show in Montreal. Now I had loved Davey's work for years so you can imagine what a thrill it was to see him. I said to my wife, "that's Davey Johnstone - Elton John's guitar player!" She replied, "Are you sure? He's so wrinkly!" I went up to Davey, said, "hi", shook his hand and thanked him for the great show the previous week. He was very cordial.

After saying bye to him a couple of minutes later, I was walking down 5th Ave when I met him again. He stopped and waved at me. I thought that was neat.

Hardly 10 minutes had passed by when I ran into him again on another street corner! Now what are the chances of seeing the same person 3x in the busiest city in North America!? The third time I saw him I didn't go up to him. Didn't want him to think that I was stalking him or anything!

By far the nicest celebrities I've ever met were the guys in Los Lobos. I saw them in a restaurant before their performance. I went up to them (made sure that I was not interrupting their meal), told them that I was a big fan and that I was going to be going to the show later that evening. They were very accomodating, invited me to sit down with them etc.

When I went to the show later (it was in a club), they walked past me during the opening act, the lead singer David Hidalgo tapped me on the shoulder, said "Hi Marvin, hope you enjoy the show tonight." I thought that was very kind of him. During the show David even said "hello to all the fans that we met tonight while we were trying to eat supper!"

In any case, I know Andy's mentioned it before, and if you check some other threads, you'll read his encounter with GOD i.e. Brian Wilson. Now that to me would be the ultimate!

Marvin

I rode an elevator with a guy I was 90% sure was Neil Diamond several years ago! Hey, Matt, do you suppose it was the same guy you met??! I still don't know for sure. He was lost and couldn't figure out which floor to get off on and he was carrying a guitar case and was dressed very nicely. This was in Sioux City, Iowa. Anyway, when he finally got off of the elevator and stayed off, all of us that remained on there looked at each other and said, "Was that Neil Diamond???!!" Lol!! The only thing I wasn't sure of was that he wasn't very tall. Anybody know if Neil is short?? Lol!!

I met Eddie Rabbitt after a show in Branson, Mo. several years ago and he was just terrific. He gave me an autograph and posed for a picture and complimented me on my camera! Too fun. Unfortunately, I was too star-struck to say anything intelligible!

Also, this probably doesn't really count, but I'm good friends with one of Randy Bachman's daughters. Was invited to her wedding last year and would have loved to have gone but it was in Utah and I don't get much vacation time. We do keep in touch via email. I've never met her dad (and I've always been a big fan) but didn't want to exploit our friendship to meet him. It's kind of a weird story as to how we met and became friends, but I won't bore you all with it. Lol!

---Julie

back last summer i spent an hour interviewing David Bowie... he was, of course, very cool, but also very down to earth and very open to discussing all stages of his career and life... on the strange side of life, i've met P.F Sloan and producer Jimmy Miller at the Chateau Mormont (sp?) in Hollywood... both very bizarre at the time (late '80s)... also around the same time, Kim Fowley who held up his rep for being a jerk...

Julie, that's a funny story. I am pretty sure ND is about 6 feet tall, or even 6'1". What's interesting to me is that there used to be a guy who looked A LOT like him, quite on purpose, who used to show up at all his concerts. He did his hair the same way and wore the same sunglasses as ND, etc., but he was much too short to really pull it off! Otherwise, he could have fooled everybody. I wonder if that's who you saw.

Jennifer

I almost forgot--I also met Nanci Griffith after a performance at the Appel Farm Music Festival one night. She had left the stage, and we were walking to our car, and Herman said "There she is." I had wanted her to sign one of my cds, but I didn't want to bother her. She was so close, I called "Nanci..." and she turned around and I asked her if she would sign it and she did. Was very gracious. She seemed almost frightened, though, and I felt kind of bad. She must have had a bad experience with a fan or fan(s). I thanked her and apologized for asking. She was great.

Her show was great and she's very funny--has a great sense of humor.

This past fall I met Helen Kwalwasser, an older lady who was a fantastic concert violinist when I was in high school. She was always on the less expensive European labels, and since my friend and I couldn't often afford Heifetz's recordings, we would buy hers. A dynamite violinist. When I saw that she taught at Temple, we went to one of her concerts. She is still the most thrilling performer! My eyes were just glued to her bow arm all night! What a beautiful sound! After the concert, I congratulated her on her performance and told her it was a thrill to finally hear her live, and that I grew up listening to her recordings. She was so wonderfully nice and flattered, that she invited me to study with her! It's very difficult to get invited to study with her because only the top performance majors at Temple get to do it. I am so thrilled. What a wonderful summer it is going to be!

smile --Darlene

I have never met anyone famous really.My wife and I saw David Lee Roth and Michael anthony walking from the mall back across the street to there hotel when Van Halen was in town back in 82.He had the whole entourage midgets for bodyguards a whole bunch of young girls trailing behind.

Our band opened for Pat Travers once.

Pierson totally cool how did you get the bowie interview.Did you ask him when hes gonna put something decent out again.With the exception afaid of the americans he has been somewhat lame for the past 20 years.

I found that the best place to meet bands are the fests during the summer, and there's usually alot of them here in the Chicago area. That's how I met Waite, The Knack, and Cheap trick. that's a cool story about Randy Bachman! I saw the Guess Who in 2001,and besides Bill Wallace the bass player, Randy was the only one who stopped to sign autographs. I didn't get one being they were in a hurry. I did get Bill Wallace to sign my program, very nice gut, but when he came out first I thought he was on the road crew, and I had just seen him play for 2 hours!

I forgot again, that I also met Scott and talked to him when he was with Raspberries. He was absolutely wonderful and very friendly. A very sunny disposition as well. I talked to Wally on the phone once, because when Scott and I were talking about things musical (promotion, etc) he gave me his phone number (he was staying with Wally then) and I called one night and Wally answered the phone. He didn't know who I was and asked me please not to give the phone number to anyone, and I said of course I wouldn't. All of my efforts to help promote Raspberries performances didn't work, because the record execs I contacted didn't seem to care.

frown --Darlene

I have met Kiss several times. They are always very nice to their fans. When I met Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons last time,they told me their tour schedule which was not announced at that point.

Once Gene gently stroked my cheek and said some Japanese words to me. It was very funny.

In my bedroom, I hang two Kiss pictures. One is me and all members with full makeup and the other one is Paul,Gene without makeup and me. wink

Kazumi

Ive met Brian Wilson....actually sat in on the sound ceck and then had a chat with him ater the show. He is as strange as you see on TV, but very , very nice and a little lost. And he is very tall and actually looks like a football player.

I've met April Wine's Myles Goodwyn and the rest of the band over the years, tough not all tgether at the same time.

Michel Pagliaro too.

Eric Faulkner and Ian Mitchell fron the Bay Cty Rollers. Ian took one look at my wife Lori and said, "You have a nice Ass,...can I bite it"...so he did!!...It sounds crude, but it wa quite funny because by the time he said that, we had been drinking guinness together for a couple of hours...

I also sat in a pub and talked for 4 hours to Dave Cousins from the Strawbs. He has always been a great inspiration for me and he was incredibly poetic even in spoken voice. Funny and very generous.

That's all for now!

Bahoo/Andy