10cc..anyone?

marvin

Just wondering whether there are any other fans out there, other than Larry and me, of this incredible band? I was listening to their albums "Sheet Music" ("the Wall Street Shuffle") and "Bloody Tourists" ("Dreadlock Holiday") this morning, and it brought back fond memories of a band I used to love.

For those of you who might not have known, bassist Graham Gouldman wrote "No Milk Today" (Herman's Hermits), "Bus Stop" (Hollies) among other songs, prior to hooking up with 10cc. Guitarist Eric Stewart was a member of Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders ("Groovy Kind of Love"), and a member of McCartney's band in the early 1990's, and keyboardist Lol Creme and drummer Kevin Godley went on to success as video producers ("Every Breath You Take") after 10cc.

A mind-numblingly talented band that produced some great music.

Marv

AND in the early 1990's, Graham hooked up with Andrew Gold to form the duo, WAX. Their first album featured some outstanding pop. I'm not certain what any of the guys are up to these days. Does 10cc exist in some form?

How about "Rubber Bullets", "Donna", "For You and I", and "Life is A Minestrone"??

Marv

Keith, I believe "The Original Soundtrack" came out in 1975 and "How Dare You" in 1976. My only point of reference is listening to "I'm Not in Love" while moving to Chicago in '75, and I later won the newly released "How Dare You" in a call-in contest from Larry Lujack on Super CFL. They were both great albums.

My favorite album of theirs is "Deceptive Bends".

It includes the hit "The Things We Do for Love" as well as "Good Morning Judge", "People in Love", and "Feel the Benefit".

Marvin, the last I heard they were touring England last summer, but only Graham Gouldman is left. It seems he had a falling out with Eric Stewart some time ago.

As far as Andrew Gold is concerned, his albums from the 70's have been remastered with bonus tracks, but I'm having a hard time finding them anywhere. He still records, and has had a few albums out in the last few years. His last big profile job, was writing and singing the theme to the "Mad about You" TV series.

I haven't a clue as to what Eric Stewart is up to, or Godley and Creme...

Jeff

Jeff I believe that Eric S is still recording. Check out his website: www.ericstewart.com for further info.

Andrew Gold has been recording non-stop over the years, and when he's not doing that, he still does the odd gig with Linda Ronstadt. His website (www.andrewgold.com) is pretty up to date. As far as Kevin G and Lol C are concerned, my guess is that they are still in the business somewhere.

Marv

Stewart and Gouldman put out a new CD, "Mirror Mirror," in 1995...but it's not really a "reunion" album at all. Eric and Graham recorded separately at their own studios. The only track they appear together on is a reworking of "I'm Not in Love." There are a few co-writes and some musicians play on tracks from both Eric and Graham.

Since then, Eric's continued on his own. Lol Creme was lead singer on the last Art of Noise album. A compilation of post-10cc Godley/Creme tracks came out recently, including their biggest hit on their own, "Cry."

But not much activity from any of the members.

"Somewhere in Hollywood" from album #2, "Sheet Music" is brilliant.

Marvin-as a man with a strong Jewish heritage-I was not surprised to read some time ago (on a Graham G.website I've lost track of by a man from the Netherlands- I believe) that Graham G. talks about Synagogue prayer melodies and other European Jewish melodies influencing his work.Even as a kid I heard this influence in 2 of the finest hooks ever-the famous musical opening riff intro to Bus Stop-and the tremendous closing fade (Now all that stands...) in NO Milk Today. By the way-have you heard It's Nice To Be Out In the Morning on Herman's Hermit's Retrospective from last year? It repeats the theme of Look Through Any Window as Graham G. muses about a morning in England and all the wonderful sights and sounds.My father-in-law (who is 90 years old and has been a soccer fan since his boyhood in Poland )and I shared a rare musical moment when I played him this song and asked him about the Manchester United players Graham G. mentions in this song who I figured had to be star players in the 1960's.He was beaming like we do at a Raspberries reference appearing somewhere and began telling me all about these players.I pushed my luck and played him No Milk... and he liked that too.As always Marvin-thanks for a great post-Ira.

The Yardbirds recorded a Gouldman composition, "For Your Love", which became a major hit for them. But also is of historical interest, as well, since the recording of the song is what prompted Eric Clapton to leave the group.

Clapton wanted to do more blues, rather than pop, and that's why he left to join John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

10cc was truly one of the best rock/pop bands to

come out of England in the early 70's and in fact

it may be no coincidence that their heyday pretty

much coincided with the period the Raspberries

were together! I lived in new York back then, and

on our 'progressive rock' WNEW-FM radio station,

DJ Scott Muni every Friday at 3PM played 'things

from England.' I went nuts for 'Rubber Bullets'

and 'The Dean & I'. Then a freind told me the band

would be performing at a small club in Roslyn Long

Island called 'My Father's Place.' One of the best

concerts I'd ever seen during that period, & believe me, I went to plenty. A lot of people

don't understand that 'I'm Not In Love' was pushed

as the 'easy listening' top 40 hit, only months

before, ironically Eric Carmen's success with 'All

By Myself.' But, the follow-up albums like

'Deceptive Bends' & 'How Dare You' were pop & rock

masterpieces. I doubt many Raspberries fans wouldn

t find them to be so. In 1989 at a rock 'expo &

flea market' in Southern California I found a Japanese import 4 cd set on the Japanese Mercury

label called the "great Box" series that encapsulated their wonderful early,mid, & late 70's period along with some rare 'B' sides of some

of their 45's. A few years later,to my shock, I found a 'Live 10cc' album recorded in a band reunion in Japan in 1993, still sounded great. If

the entire band ever could arrange a reunion, it

would be the next best thing to the Raspberries

reunion!!

Marvin and friends the Graham Gouldman "Bio" I mentioned is johnbruinsma.nl/biogouldman.html .I had the greatest luck by going here straight to the "bio" and then back to "home" "discography" or whatever I wanted to see.My modest friend Curlew-new to the web-and my transcontinental date for H.O.B. Chicago had Things We Do for Love as his wedding song.Enjoy!-Ira

Ira:

Cool info.

Looking back, I'd go with "How Dare You" as their strongest album. "Mandy" and "Art For Art's Sake" were especially cool. (Did you notice that the cover of HDY has visual clues to all the song titles on the album; check it out!)

Worth noting that HDY was the last album by the original; four man unit. Stewart & Gouldman always struck me as the rock/popsters in the band while Godley and Creme were the decidely experimental Art School types.

Indeed, "Art for Art's Sake" is a withering Stewart/Gouldman composition skewering hypocritical artsy-types ... hmmm ...

Whatever. The original four made some great music. Stewart and Gouldman went on to Deceptive Bends (REALLY bad pun in the album artwork). Godley and Creme next released "Consequences" a three-album concept piece about pending ecological disaster, fueled by the sounds of a single "intrument" known as "The Gizmo."

Whew...

"Consequences" has REALLY great song called "When Things Go Wrong" on it: a really marvelous song.

"Keith"

This is such a coincidence for me that you should mention 10cc at this point in time. During the past several weeks surrounding the New York & Atlantic City concerts, I have only played Raspberries' music. However, Thursday evening, I just happened to come across my 10cc "The Original Soundtrack" compact disk, and I had the overwhelming urge to hear "I'm Not In Love". Needless to say, I ended up listening to the entire "album" afterwards. It must have been a few years since I listened to this disk, but it really was great to hear I.N.I.L. once again!

"K" do you think "Deceptive" was their best album? I'd go with "Sheet Music."

Marv

nice call.... hands down, "Sheet Music" is their best moment.... 10cc's albums were always a bit erratic, but usually exciting & worth seeking out... Sheet Music holds up the best where even the novelty songs are engaging...

sir gouldman's pre-10cc work still holds up as one of pop's greatest treasures... a British Invasion pop machine he was...

also check out the mindbenders (eric stewart) the "groovy kind of love" LP sports a lost gem "Can't live with you, can't live without you" VERY Walker Brothers-ish

I'm gonna stick with "How Dare You."

Been years since I heard "Sheet Music." I'll have to find a copy.

Bear: I know what you mean about "I'm Not In Love." The production is really engrossing. I especially like when ES repeats verse 1 and takes the "Don't think you've GHHHAAAT it made" up the scale. Gorgeous final touch.

Ms. "Keith" hates the song intensely. Love has its mysteries!

"K"