Oh, For God's Sake...

Eric Carmen

Okay,$100,000 starting is high.

But Nurses, Farmers, Teachers, Police officers, Firemen...

People who do the work to keep us alive and safe, should be valued more than an athlete or singer or entertainer.

In the grand scheme of things what is the value of Simon Cowell or Michael Jordan ?

How have they left the world better ? What have they produced?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's talk about education for a moment.

Our entire educational system is set up for failure.

We should teach the basics ( reading, writing, basic math skills) up until fifth grade. Starting in sixth grade, we should pick a century, let's say the year 1000 to the year 1100, and teach the WHOLE CENTURY. The science, politics, literature, music, math, religion, philosophy, history and geography are all inter-related. They all affected each other. Instead of memorizing meaningless dates and places ( 1066, William the Conqueror, battle of Hastings ) kids would actually understand how the whole century came together. Teach one century each semester. By the time kids graduated from High School they'd really understand how the world actually evolved and how it works.

Then let's overhaul the whole idea of college.

Why should college take four years? We live in an age of specialization. Why should an English major, who wants to be a teacher, be required to take Statistics (Calculus and Trig)? Cut out all the nonsense that people are never going to use and let students get right to work on the specific courses they need for their chosen field. You could cut the time and expense of college in half and people could have a Masters degree in four years.

How long does it take to get a Masters in education now? Any teachers out there? I'm guessing it's a B.A plus another year or two. Wouldn't it be great to have 22 year old kids, fresh out of college, with Master's degrees, just itching to get a job teaching school because they could earn $100,000 a year? Don't you think we'd get a lot more qualified, quality teachers that way? smart

Yep. It was part of the freshman curriculum at John Carroll University in 1968 when I was there. I had to take it. Of course, they also forced me to take ROTC, even though I had a 4F draft card (completely exempt from military service). They stuck Marty Murphy and I in Advanced Corp, drilling at seven A.M. Thursday mornings with M-16's on John Carroll's frozen football field, because of our "abnormally long hair." I've still got the letter from the ROTC department framed in my office.

I could never figure out what the point of training me for military service was, since the Army wouldn't take me, even if I tried to enlist. I ran it all the way up to the Dean of the university, to no avail.

Later on, I found out that no cadet in the history of John Carroll had ever failed ROTC.

That became my mission.

This is a good thread, and it addresses so many issues that need overhaul... and I love your brainstorming, Eric.

But... What about the core problem of: soulless people?

All those Wall Street rats and Federal Reservists and Bushes and Cheneys who take, take, take should indeed be rounded up and fitted in prison uniforms. mad Unfortunately, as you rid the world of these older rats, there are younger ones who take their places.

Yep, right now, there are toddlers and infants who will grow up to be soulless rats with no ethics or character. How do you teach character? Man is man. A lot of us just flat-out suck. A lot of us don't, of course (including the fine folks at EC.com). But there's never been a shortage of people who will deceive and cheat and embezzle and lie, and who will line their pockets at the expense of anybody and everybody, and who will weasel their way into positions of power and influence -- and then abuse it.

How do you rid people of their worst traits?

(Boy, I'm in a positive mood tonight, aren't I?)

Signed,

The Dark Side of LC

I've got an idea. And it's so crazy it just might work!

Give us our homelands back! eye

But the chances of that happening is as good as getting trustworthy people in office. That's why most grass roots American Indians don't care who's in office - we'll get screwed no matter who's in there.

Just my 2 cents of ranting.

LC,

Wouldn't it have been interesting during all the ranting about WMD's from Bush, Cheny, Rumsfeld and even Colin Powell, if they had been made to pass lie detector tests before Congress voted on the invasion of Iraq?

On an economic note, I just received this in an email from a friend.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB123146363567166677-lMyQjAxMDI5MzExNTQxNjUzWj.html

Great article. We're screwed.

A certain percentage of the population can fool a lie detector by altering their breathing and thinking while telling a lie. They can render a reading inconclusive. Others unleash false positives when asked a "non-control" type question that they view as accusatory. Accordingly, unless the subject stipulates to its use as evidence, such tests are inadmissible in court.

wow, EC should have his own hardball program - how often do you find a rock & roller as politically astute as EC? i happen to agree w/ all comments on Obama's WMF guy, Ron Paul, the gold standard, Iraq war-for-profiteering & those who should be (impeached &) tried for it, tax policies, & yes, our government should have been overthrown & usurped long ago. Obama has disappointed many of us who voted for him already by recycling many of the same old Clinton-era cronies & other career fed-raiders

but perhaps the best part of this thread has been finding out that EC had to rough it on the frozen football tundra in ROTC b/c of his "abnormally long hair" & still has the letter to show for it!

you're right, EC - we should all be furious, but it's all trickled down from the top in recent years. when you have a crook, thief, & amoral weasel like GWB in office for 8 years, thats a long span of opportunity for many to raid the till & hose the country & run off into the sunset w/ their riches while the rest of us are left flappin' in the wind

Let's talk about education for a moment.

Our entire educational system is set up for failure.

smart

Couldn't agree more, Eric. WHen my son was set to go onto middle school I did not want him going to the public school in our neightborhood- it is AWFUL ( kids getting caught having sex in 6th grade; drugs; fights etc...) So we got him into a charter school that is project based learning. He now is at the High School.

Here is what they are about:

High Tech High began in 2000 as a single charter high school launched by a coalition of San Diego business leaders and educators. It has evolved into a school development organization with a growing portfolio of innovative charter schools spanning grades K-12. HTH combats the twin problems of student disengagement and low academic achievement by creating personalized, project-based learning environments where all students are known well and challenged to meet high expectations. HTH schools attempt to show how education can be redesigned to ensure that all students graduate well prepared for college, work, and citizenship.

There are NO textbooks ( no memorizing a bunch of dates!). He has only 2 core teachers. 100% of the graduates have been admitted to college- 80% to 4 year institutions. NOT BAD!

His Dad and I could not be happier!

It is a fantastic school.

Don't just brush off Obama's picks who have ethic problems...this stuff has been vetted.

His Attorney General pick was instrumental in getting a pardon for terrorist murderers and Frank Rich. Richardson is up to his eyeballs in pay for play. Yeah...keep up the Bush rhetoric...while your hero Obama slowly backs off on his campaign promises to all the lefties. Heh. Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.

Enjoy that 150 million inauguration.

There should be a salary cap for all athletes, coaches, rock stars, models, Hollywood producers and directors, actors etc. nobody needs to earn 160 million bucks for hitting a ball with a bat, or stuffing one through a hoop.

Teachers should have to pass a tough test, but then their starting salary should be $100,000 a year.

Yes- we pay an athlete a FORTUNE to "stuff a hoop" but we pay the people responsible for educating our children...PENNIES.

What is wrong with this picture?

This stuff makes me angry and I don't get angry often...

That does sound like a great school, Anna. Educational options like that are sorely lacking in our community.

As for your "Dark side", LC...I'll call you and Eric our "Dark Knights" ...in shining armour!

I believe character is one of the most important traits in anyone. And I believe that character development starts in the home. Unfortunately, with the deteriotation of much of the "family unit" many of us have known growing up, I see character as sorely lacking in Today's society...and I only envision it becoming worse. I truly worry about the future for my children.

Any teachers out there? I'm guessing it's a B.A plus another year or two. Wouldn't it be great to have 22 year old kids, fresh out of college, with Master's degrees, just itching to get a job teaching school because they could earn $100,000 a year? Don't you think we'd get a lot more qualified, quality teachers that way?

eric- i'm a teacher & can confirm that we CONSTANTLY lose good people to the pay issue. i've almost bailed on the profession a time or two for that very reason.. believe me, it's a *very* real issue, if you had any idea how many people either get a teaching degree & dont teach, or teach for a year or two, only to leave soon thereafter (#1 reason: pay), you'd be even more apalled...