So similar, yet so different

marvin

I was having a discussion with Larry L and Jennifer about how there is a common musical meeting ground, (Raspberries / Beatles / Beach Boys etc.) on this site, and then from there we all seem to veer off into rather different and somewhat obtuse directions: the Eagles, Queen, Angel, the Jam, Springsteen, Klaatu, Van Halen, XTC, Christian music, Westerberg, Country music, etc. I find it fascinating that even though our musical tastes stem from the same tree, they are still so divergent. We could be the basis for a sociologist's thesis!

Marvin

Speaking of The Partridges, the DVD of the 1st Season (1970-1971) hits stores on Tuesday, May 3. It also includes two cartoon episodes of "Partridge Family: 2200 A.D." which CBS ran back in late 1974. That same day, BMG also has "Come On, Get Happy: The Very Best Of" CD which includes songs that were unreleased on any album including "Together (Havin' A Ball)", "Let The Good Times In", "Stephanie" (which was the Bobby Sherman episode) & "Baby I Love, Love, I Love You" for the first time ever. Also appearing for the first time on any Partridge CD is the song "Roller Coaster" (which was on the final album "Bulletin Board") from 1973. Matt

I´m not fond of XTC,but I was a total fan of them in the past.I think the most likely XTC´s records for a Raspberries/EC fans are The Big Express(I hated it,it was too 80´s Soft AC)and Skylarking.(very polished Baroque pop).I loved English Settlement and Mummer.The fun thing about XTC is each album is different of the other(They use a producer per album,and in Mummer Three different producers!!!!)Sometimes they are quite hard to listen too.Ah,you´ll like Oranges And Lemons too because the drummmer for it was Pat Mastelotto,who was in thar 80´s Soft AC band Mr Mister(Broken Wings,Kyrie,etc)Pat is King Crimson´s drummer now.

Marvin - I had to do a double take when I saw Angel on your list. That is one of my favorite bands from the 70's! The obsessive person that I am, I have all of their music on Album, 8-Track, Cassette, and CD. They have done some cool covers including: Walk Away Renee, Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore, and All The Young Dudes. A couple of my favorite songs are ballads - "Feelings" and "Flying With Broken Wings". Most of the band reunited a couple of years ago and I got to see them at a small club in Milwaukee, but back in their prime they had quite a stage show. I love Frank DiMino's voice.

Another band I thought was great back then was Starz!

Tim

I must confess to a brief spell w/ Angel (not to mention Starz -- Cherry Baby was a great little number -- although I preferred Rex Smith most of the time (he and the Starz singer were/are brothers). I seem to recall liking 'The Winter Song' by Angel quite a bit - back 'in the day.'

And the Rascals cover mentioned above was indeed bitchin'.