Raspberries Fantasy Baseball 2008

blackhawkpat

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right! We've got our 16! Thanks, Mood! (Also, I like that Moody Blues song you posted. Very apropos!) You didn't keep me hanging at all. I'm just glad you were open to coming in if we needed a 16th... I think you'll have loads of fun. Don't worry about the NL thing -- most people are stronger in one league over the other (see CubFan's post above). Also, I know our champs the last two years' champs are AL guys (BeatleJay and Tunes), and I know Robin is an NLer...

Also, thanks for your help, Margaux! We've got a spot for you in football.... As I mentioned, football is a lot easier than baseball, IMHO. Shorter season, fewer positions, fewer stats --- and just one game a week. It's actually a real rush.... And thanks for that "In the Mood" post. It was cool to hear it again; it's been a while. Hey, we're always in the mood here.)

CubFan, two divisions would be nice, but the Yahoo free service doesn't allow that. From nosing around at Yahoo, I know that if we wanted to upgrade to Yahoo's FB Plus and pay something like $10 per team, or whatever the cost is, then we could get fancy with divisions, but... when it's free, you take what you can get. And I think everybody wants to keep it free, at least for now.

Now, we could have two 8-team LEAGUES, but they'd be separate.... And I WANNA be with all of you in one league....

My feeling is: This will be okay.... 16 teams, and 8 make the playoffs, just like last year. Comments from others?

AND NOW... I will e-mail the team names to Muzza, who will execute our ceremonial draft-order ranking, and then post the results here (I believe sometime tomorrow).

I'm not sure if Muzza writes our team names on slips of paper or carves them into chocolate fish, but it doesn't matter. It's random, and it's in New Zealand. And I'll wager that we're the only American fantasy league whose draft order is determined halfway around the world.

So... let's get ready to ruuuuuuummmmmmble!

Well here we go. We printed the list, cut them up, put them in an Ice Cream container and then Kiwi pulled them out and I put them in order and now we are printing them. insane The Judges (Kiwi and Me) take no responsibility for your disappointment at not being at the top. There is only room for one of you there laugh

The list is:-

Go Down Swingin' (Mitch)

Double Play On (BeatleJay)

I'm a-Rockrs (Brian Michael Page)

Sunrisers (Paulie Mississippi)

Take It Or Leave Its (Blackhawk Pat)

Cyrus Quickie (Harry/Tiggsherby)

Spotlights (Laura)

The Choir (Rick/Mood Indigo)

Desperate Fools (Marlene)

BundleAgainstCurrent (Lew)

The Go All the Ways (LC)

Tunes Tonight (Tommy Tunes)

Let's Pretenders (Frank Dickinson)

Hit Records (CubbieFanMike)

Marathon Men (bmfc-1/Jeff)

CruisinMusicMets (Robin23)

Thanks for letting us be part of this.

Have fun everyone.

Muzza and Kiwi

AND NOW: a quick word on draft order for new owners (or for experienced): Really, honestly, it probably doesn't matter all that much where you are in the draft order.

Some people would kill for that overall No. 1 pick; they get the best overall player. Others hate it; they have to wait (in our case) 31 picks --- 31 picks! --- to take their next player.

Some people love the last pick; in our case, you get two out of the top 17 players. Of course, then you have to wait 31 more picks before your next one. It can seem like an eternity.

Some love a middle-round pick --- the 6th or 7th or 8th or 9th --- because you have a comparatively short wait between picks.

I've won leagues with the last pick and finished last with the first pick. And vice-versa. It really doesn't matter where you are; what matters is what you do with those picks, and (more important than anything, IMHO) what you do during the season when injuries come, and when hot prospects get called up from the minors, and when good players go cold, and when trade offers start flowing like wine (hi, Tunes!).

So... make the best of what you've got. And remember the immortal words of Mike Brady:

Wherever you go, there you are.

AND NOW: a quick word on draft order for new owners (or for experienced): Really, honestly, it probably doesn't matter all that much where you are in the draft order.

Some people would kill for that overall No. 1 pick; they get the best overall player. Others hate it; they have to wait (in our case) 31 picks --- 31 picks! --- to take their next player.

Some people love the last pick; in our case, you get two out of the top 17 players. Of course, then you have to wait 31 more picks before your next one. It can seem like an eternity.

Some love a middle-round pick --- the 6th or 7th or 8th or 9th --- because you have a comparatively short wait between picks.

I've won leagues with the last pick and finished last with the first pick. And vice-versa. It really doesn't matter where you are; what matters is what you do with those picks, and (more important than anything, IMHO) what you do during the season when injuries come, and when hot prospects get called up from the minors, and when good players go cold, and when trade offers start flowing like wine (hi, Tunes!).

So... make the best of what you've got. And remember the immortal words of Mike Brady:

Wherever you go, there you are.

A PS to that note: I'll back up my contention that draft order doesn't matter with this offer: If anyone would rather have my pick (No. 11), I'll trade.

In fact, the Commissioner's office will allow trading of draft positions up until Thursday at midnight, East Coast time. If you trade positions, it would be for the whole draft (not for just two or four rounds, or whatever).

Good luck, Raspberries League owners!

A PS to that note: I'll back up my contention that draft order doesn't matter with this offer: If anyone would rather have my pick (No. 11), I'll trade.

In fact, the Commissioner's office will allow trading of draft positions up until Thursday at midnight, East Coast time. If you trade positions, it would be for the whole draft (not for just two or four rounds, or whatever).

Good luck, Raspberries

What a guy! Now there's a real man.

In fact, the Commissioner's office will allow trading of draft positions up until Thursday at midnight, East Coast time. If you trade positions, it would be for the whole draft (not for just two or four rounds, or whatever). [QB]

Hmmm.... I detect a hint of sarcasm there, Tunes :rolleyes: . Okay, fair enough: I realize now that if I had the #1, 2, or 3 pick, my offer to trade picks would carry a lot more weight. But I just meant to back up my point that I don't really care where I am in the draft order.

And besides, in a 16-team league, at least I'm giving five people the chance to trade up... including one that I know might be interested because it could result in getting a favorite player.

That said, I'm happy with 11, just as I'd be happy with 1, 7, 16, or whatever....

Wherever you go, there you are....

(Besides, maybe ARod will slip through the cracks.... haha )

[As posted on our league page]

Well, here we are on the verge of "starting over" -- a new season -- so good luck to all owners, old and new.

Fresh off the draft I had in another league at Yahoo, I have a few tips to share with ya'll:

1) Log onto the team page on Friday (a half-hour or so before the actual draft) and you'll see a special link saying "ENTER LIVE DRAFT." Just click on it and a new page opens up. That's our "war room."

2) If you haven't played before, the Live Draft page is pretty easy to navigate.

--In the upper left corner is a yellow box telling you which team is on the clock, along with a counter telling you how much time that person has left to draft. You have 1 minute, 30 seconds to make each pick.

--Below yellow box: master list of players, sortable either by Yahoo's rankings, your rankings (if you did any rankings --- not mandatory), or alphabetically.

--Under the player list area: a "Draft Player" box, where you can put the name of the next player you'll draft.

--Under "Draft Player" box: a "Queue Box." I love this... It's sort of a "waiting room" for your players. Click on any number of players you like in the master list, drop 'em into the Queue Box, and they'll be ready for you to draft. (The names disappear as the players in your Queue Box get drafted. I like to keep it full of a dozen or so names at all times.)

--Along the top of the page is a row of 16 pennants, each one representing a different team. Hold your cursor over each pennant and a box pops up, telling you which team is which.

--Along the right side of the page is your roster, in progress. It fills in your players as you select them. It also keeps track of which positions you've filled (and need to fill). You can also easily switch from your team's roster-in-progress to another team's (by clicking on the pennants).

--Bottom of the page: the chat-room box... Trash talk welcome!

3) As the draft is in progress, it's helpful (I find) to keep a window open (but minimized) that's set on Yahoo's "Players" list. That way, you can quickly check last year's stats of any player. (This is the page I'm talking about: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/108415/players )

4) As the draft goes along, invariably the guy or girl just ahead of you will take the player you have queued up. In fact, it will happen often. It can be frustrating, yes, but it shows that you probably had the right idea. Roll with the punches, and have a backup plan. If you were about to take a top base-stealer only to see him get plucked, well, make sure you have somebody else in mind.

That's it for now. Any other draft tips and comments to add to these? I'm sure the first-year owners would appreciate 'em.

Best,

Commissioner LC

Quote:
Originally posted by LC:

In fact, the Commissioner's office will allow trading of draft positions up until Thursday at midnight, East Coast time. If you trade positions, it would be for the whole draft (not for just two or four rounds, or whatever). [QB]

Hmmm.... I detect a hint of sarcasm there, Tunes :rolleyes: . Okay, fair enough: I realize now that if I had the #1, 2, or 3 pick, my offer to trade picks would carry a lot more weight. But I just meant to back up my point that I don't really care where I am in the draft order.

And besides, in a 16-team league, at least I'm giving five people the chance to trade up... including one that I know might be interested because it could result in getting a favorite player.

That said, I'm happy with 11, just as I'd be happy with 1, 7, 16, or whatever....

Wherever you go, there you are....

(Besides, maybe ARod will slip through the cracks.... haha )

No sarcasm meant. The sarcasm you detected was in my next post and geared towards the cubbieboyman