Raspberries Fantasy Baseball 2008

blackhawkpat

To add to what Larry said, a few years ago, I was really burned out on baseball. I had the Extra Innings package on satellite, but rarely watched it, even called in to cancel it. Then, I joined the RBL and it was like getting your baseball mojo back. I started channel surfing like a maniac with the EI, especially the west coast games, looking for an at bat, an inning pitched, whatever by one of my fantasy players.

The RBL really got me excited about baseball again and I would venture to say I have watched more baseball on television in the last two years than in the last ten combined because of it!

It's a lot of fun, though I will admit it gets your emotions a little confused when one of your fantasy players is batting against one of your home team's pitchers with the game on the line. As a fan, you want the out, but as a fantasy player you NEED the homer!

My God, I even had some Brewers and White Sox players on my team last year! No Cardinals, though....THAT would be pushing it!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add a little to what Pat said... I think MLB only recently started to realize how much of an impact fantasy has had on the game. In fact, MLB ought to get down on its knees and kiss the feet of fantasy/rotisserie baseball.

In 1994, the players' work stoppage cost us a World Series --- a WORLD SERIES!!! It bled into 1995, too, costing us a spring training and almost a month of the regular season. It was an agonizing time --- and a lot of fans became former fans. I was editing a sports collectibles magazine at the time, so I can tell you first-hand that the memorabilia market took a huge hit, and it was very reflective of the general fan's feelings at the time, and it took years for some fans to get back into the game.

Of course, the Great Home Run Race of 1998 --- McGwire vs. Sosa --- brought a lot of people back. How ironic that their achievements turned out to be hollow. Now, steroids are having another negative impact on the game, but legions of us will stay tuned, mainly because of fantasy baseball.

PS: For a while, MLB ignored fantasy baseball, mainly because of the G word: It was too closely associated with gambing, because so many of us stick $25 or $50 or $100 in a pot and play for money. But by now, it's not an issue.... There was a court ruling several years ago, as I recall, that determined that fantasy sports are games of skill, not luck --- although a lot of us know it pays to be lucky, too!

Uh-oh, Mood (Rick).... Your team is still showing up on our league page. Let me find out how an owner can withdraw his team. Maybe it's something I have to do with the Commissioner Tools...

I'm hearing that you definitely want out for now, but might reconsider between now and draft day.... (We'd love to have you in the league...)

Best,

LC

We'd love to have you. Just so you know, you can set your lineup a week in advance so you don't need to go on every day to make changes. The only thing risky about that is if your starting pitcher doesn't end up pitching that day, but that could happen anyway, even if you do follow it daily.

The draft is the REALLY fun part, forming your team, as every other GM wants what you want. I wish we could draft every day and not play the season! LOL

I just checked, and I can indeed remove your team, Rick. So you want me to go ahead and do that, right?

Best,

LC

PS: I know there's a way for an owner to remove his own team, because I've done it in the past, but I can't remember....

PPS: Where are Harry and Tunesy?

I'm with you Pat, I've been doing this stuff since 84 and there's nothing like draft day, a couple of guys in our league call it the greatest day of the year. Do you guys (+gals) draft a bench or just pick up FAs as needed? LC, sorry about that, I thought i deleted the team, but you can go ahead and do it, when is the deadline for getting back in, and how is the draft handled, on the site, e-mail?

Yep, you got it....

Re: your qeustions above:

* We have 5 bench spots PLUS 3 Disabled List spots, so we're pretty well-protected from injury bugs.... (Actually, don't tell Pat I said that.... Wasn't it you, Pat, who had something like 8 injured players on your roster at one point last year? Yikes....)

* Our draft is March 14 at 8:15 p.m., so I'd say that if you change your mind (to quote Raspberries), let me know by, say March 10, end of day. We have our draft order set randomly by Muzza and Kiwi in New Zealand. There's something cool about having that job done halfway around the world.... Also, we need to have an even number of teams. If you come back and are, say the 13th team, we'll put out a call for the 14th. On the other hand, you might end up "completing the puzzle," so to speak.

Hope that helps...

Draft day really is a riot....

Jay,

Yeah, the extra positions are more "standard." We wratched the positions back last year because we had so many rooks. You'll love the extra manuevering --- more Mariners for you!

Pat, Tunes wrote this on another thread about fantasy: "I received the invitaion. I don't know if I will be able to OR even should play this year."

Uh-oh.... I think we'll need to do some collective begging to get Tunes in.... Help?

Cool!- extra manuevering. If there are fewer teams this year, everybody should be able to put together a decent bench.

Hey Tunes! Come on out and play! League is in need of that special something you bring- c'mon. I promise, no more than twenty roster moves per week for me this year! :rolleyes:

D'ya think that convinced him?