Huckabee wants IRS Abolished!!

Raspyrock

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds good, but my question is, what is he going to do to replace it???!!! I've never seen a politician yet who didn't take away one evil and replace it with another, worse one.

A tax-less society is not something I can imagine, so I'm sure some other form of "tax" will descend upon us and take even more of our gold away before we can start planning what to do with the "windfall."

I'm very leery about this.

smile --Darlene

A consumption tax sounds great, but we already have a sales tax. I can only imagine how exhorbitant that will become. At least with the current tax system, we have tax credits and deductions. Whenever something changes, it's usually MORE money out of our pockets rather than less. It's the "devil you know" as opposed to the one you don't know!

smile --Darlene

Just as an example, NJ's 5% sales tax was supposed to be "temporary." HA!!! Now it's edging up on 8% and it will never leave.

Everyone laughed at Ross Perot when he said it was going to get so expensive to live in America due to taxes that it would be painful. NJ is now so expensive, people are leaving in droves! So many illegals are here that legal citizens are being overtaxed to support their needs.

And NJ politicians are the most corrupt in the country. Of two opposing candidiates this election, one called herself a "farmer" and was paying farming tax rates instead of the bundle she was supposed to pay. The other had warrants out for her arrest due to unpaid driving summonses. Neither was worthy of a vote. And this is the case scenario across the board in NJ. NJ politicians NEVER have trouble digging up dirt on their opponents for political ads! After hearing all the ads, it's easy to want to write in your next door neighbor for the office rather than vote for any of the Republican or Democrate clowns who are running.

I would much rather pay what I'm paying now than wind up giving 80% of my salary toward some new disastrous "plan" that yet another corrupt idiot politician hasn't thought through.

smile --Darlene

You have State sales tax...not Federal...certainly better than taxing what you earn. I own a business I can really take advantage of tax breaks..individuals get mort...dependent's deductions... not much more. I'd GLADLY take a consuption tax. Accoutants and tax attorney's may not like it though.

I find everyone's comments interesting. When we were there in August we found the Sales Tax thing quite complicated as it varied where ever we went. And of course it wasn't included the price as it sat on the shelf.

Here is New Zealand we have a Goods and Services Tax (GST) which is 12.5%. It is on ALL goods and services. It MUST be included in the advertised price as well and failure to do so can result in hefty fines.

Our "Income" tax called PAYE (Pay as you Earn) is around 30% for the average wage earner but is lower for those on a small income and is graduated higher for those on higher incomes. Anyone working 2 jobs; even if they are only part time get taxed higher on the "2nd" job. I think its 33%.

Then we have Road Tax in our petrol which is around 5 %. Diesel has lower tax but isn't included in the price at the pumps. People with diesel powered vehicles have to "buy" what is known as Road Users tax and this is supposed to be paid ahead of your fuel purchases. People can buy up to 10,000 Kms of "tax" at a time. This means farmers with tractors etc that don't go on the road don't pay the Road tax. CNG and LPG are taxed like petrol.

There has been talk last year of introducing a "FART" tax on farmers because of the methane the cattle were putting into the environment. Went down like a lead balloon with farmers but some politicians are still hinting at it.

I guess my question about doing away with the IRS is, "How does the Federal Govt gain income if it has a Tax Free society?" I'm not up with these things really.

Muzza cool

A consumption tax sounds great, but we already have a sales tax. I can only imagine how exhorbitant that will become. At least with the current tax system, we have tax credits and deductions. Whenever something changes, it's usually MORE money out of our pockets rather than less. It's the "devil you know" as opposed to the one you don't know!

smile --Darlene

I'd prefer to have the money in my pocket 1st, even if I had to pay 20 to 23 percent sales tax. I could make that choice on a daily basis just like I do now -- with no April 15th hanging over my head!!

If I had the money 1st, then I could save it.

We need to find a way to increase savings rates in America.

Sales tax rather than income tax means purchases from the under-ground/illicit economies would be taxed ----- (when they buy that BMW or whatever) --- I don't mind everyone pulling their own weight!!

More accounting ( H&R Block ) folks could get jobs producing something to export????? wink

Huckabee's a decent guy who has the ability to be a healing moderate, so ofcourse he doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell. Its either Hillary the butt or Rudy 9/11. And either will be a divider and we can count on more long years of getting nothing accomplished as the gas goes to 5$ a gallon, and college tuitions escalate, and jobs keep flowing to China-who incidentally is covering alot of our war costs in Iraq, and families are bankrupted over illnesses, and corporate greed proliferates. We need to turn this around. The climate of selfishnessness and mindlessness has affected our collective values. They barely exist anymore. Unless its to give illegal immigrants drivers licenses and make sure theres enough coverage of Paris Hilton on TV. What happened to America? , we've become a third rate player on the World Stage with our violence and egotism and commerciality. The middle class is eroding and we are headed towards a country of haves vs. have-nots which will eventually cause tremendous grief.

The politicians will continue to play their power and ego games forgetting the public they serve. And they wonder why so many people just tune it out. Thomas Jefferson and Lincoln must be rolling over in their graves. We are headed to the Armageddon Party,time to get loaded, turn up the music, and dance until we drop.

It's one of the reasons I'm warming towards Huckabee -- it's because he seems to want to serve the people, not his interests per se.

I'm truly concerned about middle class erosion too. In high school they taught, in my class, about the difference between Latin America & USA & how USA is better off over-all because of the breadth of the middle class, which was nearly void in Latin America. Everyone needs to take off the blinders & look at the big picture!

I'm not saying a sales tax wouldn't be better than the IRS, but how many politicians have actually done what they promised? You'd wind up with the new tax PLUS the IRS.

Again, I've never seen anyone DECREASE the amount we're paying and give money back. Sorry, it just won't happen.

I'm from NJ where our pensions were supposedly safeguarded, but the state took them and gambled them away. What they SAY they're gonna do and what they do behind closed doors are two different things.

Anytime someone tells you they'll abolish the IRS, you can just about believe they'll sell snake oil. OR, their plan will somehow wind up costing you more.

Just about everything Ross Perot said would happen has. More people should have believed HIM.

--D

I'm willing to give someone a chance to get this done. I've no illusion that our govt. is famous for half-measures, but if a few states have no income taxes then the feds could do that too.

Never really bought into Ross Perot. He was great to identify a problem, best I recall, but not about solutions.

As long as no one picks Dick as VP again, this will be an automatic improvement anyway!

Also, as I've said before, we might actually see a candidate announce their VP pick ahead of their convention, as an extra boost, this time around.

Its amazing to me how the high taxation of England on the colonies, and their businesses and consumption practices, was such a huge factor in our Revolution and yet this is exactly how it has ended up in the country. I truly do not believe it was the intention of the founding fathers so much of a person's income would go to taxes. Its all ended up this way to support the tremendous bureaucracy of Washington.

I am happy for tax dollars to go to senior citizens, or even for necessary wars, but the corruption of Washington is immense and so many dollars are wasted on lining contractor's pockets and paying for Washington talking heads that accomplish nothing. The Bush administration have not heeded any conservative economic practices because they are bogus. Its interesting how he originally gave some tax breaks to people to capture some support only to start a war, so expensive, it's being floated by China and the EU.

Its interesting how, in these times, so many people across the country could never run their households so irresponsibly, and yet this is how the country is run, mortgaging our future, betting the farm on speculation. In some ways we should be ashamed that there's always plenty of tax dollars for violence, but never enough for the social programs of the future.

Absolutely true, raspberrywine. There is no longer any difference at all between Democrat and Republican. Our local officials don't even list a party on their campaign posters anymore because everyone's angry with both sides. Politics is corrupt from the top down and the bottom up. So sad. Any honest politician has a very difficult struggle because the system is so corrupt.

frown --Darlene

• 5 weeks later...

I believe in a national sales tax mainly because there is no way to cheat;everyone has to pay,rich or poor,citizen or illegal alien.You buy something,and the tax is collected at the time of the sale.

I happen to believe that you pay one way or another. Income tax, consumption tax, luxury tax, I don't think it matters. You pay, somehow. I don't think it will ever change.

Yep, we're gonna pay one way or the other. I just don't wanna waste a whole lot extra time in the process of doing it!!!