Your Favorite Cold Cereals

CubbiefanMike

Gee, I thought I saw some of those cereals at Food Pride in Emmetsburg yesterday! I'll look again. Gosh, I better check the dates on them!!

--Julie

Hey--Does anyone remember, "Shake a Puddin'"?? It was a powder that came in a little paper container shaped like a triangle (kind of like sour cream does) and you put it in a special brown shaker that had a tan lid and shook it up to make individual servings of pudding. My mom still has our shaker. She always used it to make gravy with!

--Julie

I don't eat much cereal, but when the mood strikes me, I eat Fruity Pebbles. I also use Cap'N Crunch to make Planet Hollywoods Chicken Crunch, I love it! They do still make many of those cereals on CubFans list, at least the stores here have a lot of them. And I do remember Fizzies, I think those of us who drank that stuff only did it cuz our friends drank it, they were NASTY! And they still make Pop Rocks, I can get those here too. From Snopes.com:

The company stopped marketing Pop Rocks around 1983, and this is often pointed to as "proof" that the candy was so harmful it had to be pulled from the shelves. What's less known is that Kraft bought the rights to the product from General Foods in 1985 and then marketed it as "Action Candy" through a company named Carbonated Candy. Pop Rocks are now back out in the open, though, and are again marketed under their original name by Pop Rocks, Inc.

Actually, my son had a Pop Rocks "accident" when he was a kid, he put the envelope to his mouth and put his head back to eat some when one came out of the envelope and went in his eye... and yes, the moisture in his eye did make it "go off". Fortunately it was a small one and no damage was done, but I did politely inform the manufacturer about it just so they'd know it was a possibility.

Ok, I can't resist any longer! I've gotta contribute to this thread. As some of you know, like Bernie, I work in advertising. While Bernie was busy creating the Milk Mustache campaign, for the last 15 years or so I was writing and creating the commercials for Trix, Lucky Charms, Coooookie Crisp, Count Chocula (Frankenberry and BooBerry, too), Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Reese's Puffs, and Cocoa Puffs. Last year General Mills introduced CHOCOLATE Lucky Charms. I was completely against it, but I gotta admit the stuff is pretty darn good! For those of you who can't find Count Chocula, FrankenBerry or BooBerry...move east! General Mills distributes them in selected stores (any of the Stop and Shop affliated grocery stores have them...and they are just as yummy as ever!)

This site is chock full of fun cereal history. Including my all time favorite: Rice Krinkles!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-guide.html

Dave