Great set by Petty......

hollies65

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went and pulled out the "McCartney Years" DVD and watched the four songs he did at the Super Bowl to see if my memory was cloudy. "Drive My Car", "Get Back", "Live And Let Die", and "Hey Jude".

Ye-ah....we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, boys. A day before the election in Chicago and my vote goes to:

PAUL!

While still a great song, I don't really consider "Drive My Car" to be one of the Beatles biggest hits or standards and I could be wrong, but I believe he only performed that on two tours, so it's kind of unique to do that, especially in front of one of the largest television audiences in history.

Petty did his biggest hits, as would anyone when you only get fifteen minutes and four songs total. Whether those are his best songs are open to interpretation, but they are certainly his most well known.

If it is okay for Petty, Prince, and the Stones to do their most popular tunes, why should Paul only do a medley of "Mamunia" and "Cook Of The House"?

I thought his (Paul's) song selection was outstanding. "Live And Let Die" was amazing between the fireworks and the performance. "Hey Jude" had the entire top sections of fans forming the "Na Na's" within the crowd and he had 70,000 people singing it with him.

If those two performances are a "run through", all I can say is "tough crowd".

Steve and Marv, I know both of you are big Paul fans, so I would be interested in knowing what four songs you would have wanted him to do? Keep in mind that there are zillions of casual football and music fans watching. That was not the time or place to do "Yesterday".

"Not weak stuff like 'American Girl'". Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah! Stop it...you're killing me....Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Good one...you're already one of my favorite posters....Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha!

"American Girl" is a 'weak song'???? Give me a break. That song IS Rock n' Roll!

As far as my McCartney selections, I'd go with:

"Band On the Run"

"Rock Show"

and maybe something more recent like "Only Mama Knows"

The obligatory Beatles song would be, "I Saw Her Standing There."

My favorite "American Girl" story is - when Roger McGuinn heard it on the radio for the first time, he stopped and asked himself - "When did I record that song?"

P.S. Not getting into this argument, as I didn't see or hear Petty's halftime set. Simply put, had I been that interested, I would have watched it.....(ditto most Super Bowl halftime shows)

American Girl ...What a song.Paulie and I played it several times together in various bands,and we always played it the "correct" way..The Guitar interplay is very regimented.Campbell's chording/writing in this song was incredibly tasteful to say the least. I could never call it a "weak" song.Sure , its not a "balls to the wall" song, but It, IMHO, defines the term "melodic".

Hey, Hollies...You should have been in the Wizard of Oz...Behind the curtain...The great authority "Hollies" has spoken...Who the heck are you to hammer the new poster like that?...Anybody treat you like that when you joined?...Your opinion is the definitive word...I love power pop and I dont consider that song as "definitive" anything...I should have learned from your authoritativeness about the Sammy Davis Jr, Brown Eyed Girl Thing that you think your taste and knowledge is the be-all/end all...That new guy did not deserve the way you treated him...Dont ever throw a conversation/opinion my way again...Dialogue with you is not welcome...

Hey, Hollies...You should have been in the Wizard of Oz...Behind the curtain...The great authority "Hollies" has spoken...Who the heck are you to hammer the new poster like that?...Anybody treat you like that when you joined?...Your opinion is the definitive word?...PERIOD?...I love power pop and I dont consider that song as "definitive" anything...I should have learned from your authoritativeness about the Sammy Davis Jr, Brown Eyed Girl Thing that you think your taste and knowledge is the be-all/end all...That new guy did not deserve the way you treated him...Dont ever throw a conversation/opinion my way again...Dialogue with you is not welcome...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lew Bundles:

Hey, Hollies...You should have been in the Wizard of Oz...Behind the curtain...The great authority "Hollies" has spoken...Who the heck are you to hammer the new poster like that?...Anybody treat you like that when you joined?...Your opinion is the definitive word?...PERIOD?...I love power pop and I dont consider that song as "definitive" anything...I should have learned from your authoritativeness about the Sammy Davis Jr, Brown Eyed Girl Thing that you think your taste and knowledge is the be-all/end all...That new guy did not deserve the way you treated him...Dont ever throw a conversation/opinion my way again...Dialogue with you is not welcome...

Just in case you Mr. Authority didnt understand me the first time...

Uhhhh....it's called an opinion Lew. Sorry you got called on the Sammy Davis Jr thing...but I was right on that. As for the "new poster" you are so concerned about, his opinion was that Petty's set was "dull and boring" and 'American Girl' was "weak". Sounds to me like he can dish out a pretty harsh post and can probably take a humorous post back his way. BTW,I'm not offended by anything you've said here and still consider you a good poster and a funny guy. The mighty Hollies has spoken. *Draws curtains*

Hahahahahahaha! Oh I get it....YOU are Mr authority! If someone does not agree with you...then you get mad. Hey Lew...this is an internet message board,lighten up.Nothing I posted here was out of line...though you seem to be getting very angry. Remember Lew...it's a internet message board...YOU responded to MY post...kinda pissy.

I'm doing the play-by-play on this bout fellas.

Holly's, you need to type faster (lot of dead air space). And Lew, you've got to quit referring to movies from 1939 (my listenership is only movie literate back to 2000).

Carry-on...

Signed,

James (off to messageboard vacation)

P.S. Rodney king wouldn't be happy with you guys..