Great set by Petty......

hollies65

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember listening to the radio on our driveway in the summer of 1977, and "I Need To Know" came on. It was the first time I'd heard Tom Petty and I loved the song at first listen.

It's really cool that they're still at the top of their game after 30+ years..

Probably the biggest thing I love about Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers besides the great songs is,, the guitar sounds!!! From day one,,, I love the fact that both Tom P and Mike Campbell uses vintage Vox amps and a GREAT selection of very cool guitars!!! Mike Campbell's guitar tone is to die for!! Very big full sound without it being overly distorted, but lots of sustain and tone. You can hear every string on his guitar. That's the guitar tone I've been striving for my whole career! Plus,,, he's a great player to boot! Gotta love that Rickenbacker 12 string!!!!

Lew yes, The Beatles on Sullivan was a great performance...one of the greatest ever. Tom Petty's performance on the biggest stage ever [super Bowl viewing has got to be a billion world wide] in this day and age where hearing great music on the airwaves is like finding a gold nugget,Tom and his band delivered a blistering set of alltime great classic songs.The best halftime at any superbowl easy and a truly great performance period. IMO.

Tom and his band delivered a blistering set of alltime great classic songs.The best halftime at any superbowl easy and a truly great performance period. IMO.

Hollies, with all due respect, A BLISTERING SET OF ALL TIME GREAT CLASSIC SONGS...You have got to be kidding...What the heck was "blistering about it"...Those songs are "okay" rock songs...GREAT is an overused word...And I'll take Mccartney's performance over this tepidness anytime...Next, well hear the word genius as we toss that one around loosely today...As if one of these guys in their field is what Einstein was in his...We have got to stop attaching "Great" and "genius" to things just because their is a paucity of "likeable" stuff...

Okay...This is what was blistering about it...his song selection was great...in particular 'American Girl' and 'Running Down A Dream'...I don't know what you were hearing Lew,but yeah, the band was into it and it was rocking.Campbell was was playing his ass off and the songs were not just run through. And as for Macca.who is one of my alltime favorites, his Superbowl appearence [Along with most of his other high profile gigs] ARE loaded with the same overplayed Beatle nuggets and NEVER his best stuff.Compared to Petty's set Macca's was a run through. IMO you've got this one completely backwards.

The local paper here called Petty's performance "the best of any Super Bowl performer". (This guy is also anti-Paul and was the only reporter who ignored my request to cover Raspberries when they were in town, I might add.)

Everybody's got their own opinion and I have to back Lew on this one. I thought Petty was solid, but McCartney was spectacular. Alot of people dug Prince last year and I can't really recall my thoughts on his set. I think I was stewing over the way the Bears were playing and didn't pay much attention to it.

As much as I love Paul, I think Hollies65 nailed it when he said that Paul tends to play the same songs at high-profile gigs. One could argue that Petty did the same by playing "Free Fallin'" and "Running", instead of something like "You're Gonna Get It" or "The Last DJ", but the energy of his performance was undeniable. Kudos to the 'forgotten' Heartbreakers: Benmont Tench, Ron Blair, Scott Thurston and Steve Ferrone.