Johnny Carson has died

JuliaD

I've always been a fan of comedy and of comedians, and the one thing I admired most about Johnny was that he never got his laughs at the expense of others. Sure, he did political jokes and all, but unlike Leno (and I'm not bashing Leno, I watch him every night), Johnny never had to "belittle" the working class. Leno is always making comments about people who drive Yugos, Volkswagens, or other inexpensive cars, and making comments about people who shop at KMart, and I have to wonder where the hell he gets his nerve from. If someone is holding down an honest job, and being a good citizen, if an inexpensive car is all they can afford, why make them feel sheepish about it? Just because Leno has more cars than some used car dealers have doesn't give him the right to take someone's dignity and make a joke of it. I hate stuff like that.

Johnny was funny as can be without profanity, without being racist, and without making his audience feel insignificant. He was a good man.

I remember vividly one night when he stuck a marmosset on his head, and the thing peed, and it ran down Johnny's face right on camera. He just sat there and laughed. And he didn't have one of those phony sounding staged laughs either, when he laughed, you could see his body shaking, it was genuine.

When he retired, I figured "we'll see him on other shows as a guest, as a presenter on awards shows, etc", but we didn't... it truly was his last hurrah as an entertainer. But I think when people hear his name, they smile... we should all leave such a legacy.

Here's to you, Johnny

Tony, I never smoked a cigarette in my life, but you know what? I *love* charbroiled hamburgers and steaks. And if a doctor told me "stop eating those and you'll live longer", I'd say "but I wouldn't enjoy being alive". I can't imagine a life without my favorites being a part of it.

I think people who smoke feel the same way. People who have a tendency to drive fast feel the same way. People who have risky hobbies, like bungee jumping feel the same way.

What is life if you're not true to yourself? Sitting back and letting life pass you by is for the timid, grabbing life by the horns and letting that bucking bronco run free is *living*.

I'll probably die with a hamburger in my hand. If I do, know I died happy.

The frame of mind those cigarettes put him in may have been a big part of what made Johnny a success. Without them he might have been a crabby old man. angry

JuliaD, My girlfriend, Elaine, was a diabetic from childhood, but I never knew it. Only her roommate, Sharon, and our friend Helen, the nurse in the school we taught, knew. No one else in the whole school, nor our circle of friends ever knew while she was alive. (She swore those two to secrecy). We would all go out for a drink, and Elaine (who wasn't supposed to drink at all) would drink anything she wanted, anytime. Helen later said that Elaine told her that she knew she would have a shortened life, but that she would rather live a short life being like everyone else than a long one being different. She died at age 30, leaving us all griefstricken. But, later, we couldn't deny that she knew what she was doing, and wanted to do it that way.

--Darlene

Racing cars, mountain climbing and other risky hobbies are endeavors of persons going for it in life,.....are acts of overcoming fear and lethargy to get the most out of life. The act of cigarette smoking is not. 95% of cigarette smokers are slaves to a habit they wish they could quit.... their smoking is not an act of living life to the fullest but a manifestation of their addiction.

Jeepers...

James, I'm curious as to if you can supply a URL to a reliable source for your "95%" statistic, or if it's just a number that popped into your head? I can't find a basis for this statistic anywhere, and of all the people I know who smoke, and there are many, no one feels they do it for any reason other than they want to. If you know of such documentation, I'd be interested in reading it.

darlene, your friend may not have lived a long life, but she lived *her* life her way, I have to admire that. My mother (at a much older age) pretty much decided to do the same thing when she refused to go on dialysis. She knew it would shorten her life, but quality was more important to her than quantity.