Loggins & Messina reunite

hbecstacy

This is fabulous news for a long-time fan like myself - even though I know they're not likely to do a show anywhere near me. Their songs always featured incredible musicianship that was horribly difficult to reproduce - at least for the bands that I was in. Even though they've both released some memorable music as a solo artists, their work together was magical.

Marvin

Coming May 24 on Columbia/Legacy is "The Very Best Of: Sittin' In Again". Found this in ICE Magazine that I got in the mail today (with Alanis Morissette on cover). Wonder if that CD will contain the remix single version of the song "Thinking Of You"? I heard the 45 single remix on the radio back in 1982 when there was a radio show called "Rarities" (known as the rock & roll vault) but I forgot who hosted that show back then. Matt

Kenny's material started to take a nose dive when he began singing those movie themes, but there have been spurts like "Leap of Faith." I'll still take his 1970's stuff and early 1980's stuff, and his work with Jim Messina over just about anything else he's done.

Marvin

A footnote....back in the early 60s, Jim Messina was in a band called the Jesters....it was a surf instrumental band, and Jim---unlike L&M where he played bass----was the lead guitarists.

From all accounts, he was a good one in that genre, but in the second tier below the likes of Nokie Edwards and Dick Dale.

And Loggins was, for a number of years in the 90s, playing mostly corporate parties and not many gigs open to the public.

• 2 weeks later...

J Craft, as far as Messina playing bass, I must admit I got that info on hearsay....don't have any of their albums and have never seen them live.......some DJ was mentioning that Messina was playing bass when one of the early albums came out---he could have been referring to maybe just the one track that was being aired....but that has stuck in my mind since '74, and I was presuming that was the case on all L&M tracks.

Messina's work with the Jesters has been covered will in the book "The Illustrated History of Surf Music".