My Apologies: My Thanks

TOMMY TUNES

It is apparent that my idea of what a board should be is not the same as some peoples'. I have used it as an anonymous place to be someone I can't be in real life (ergo my phony name).I have used it to share my passion for music with others who might have that same passion. I have used it as an escape from the pressures of real life. I have used it to be the "Entertainer" my real career won't allow me to be. I figure people post on a board like this and it fills some empty spot in them why not make them laugh. But alas it is far too obvious that not everybody gets the joke. It is and never has been my wish to hurt anyone. That is why unbeknownst to most I have often sent PMs to anyone who I thought could possibly be offended by one of my posts or for that matter one of anyone's posts. The purpose of this post is to let the people who didn't get "TOMMY TUNES" know that if my jokes, insensitivities, crudeness or whatever offended you I am truly sorry. That was not the intent.

There are people on this board that have either formed real, true friendships or at least something that appears like friendship.They have even met each other at shows. My reason for joining this board was not to make new friends. I watch the news and am much too scared of what kind of crazy person can lie behind a sweet name with gentle posts. Ergo once again my fake moniker , alter ego "TOMMY TUNES". I monitor my childrens computer activities and yet here I am. I mean how many of you would bet your life's savings I'm even a male let alone what my name is? Once again to those who find "TOMMY TUNES" offensive I sincerely apologize. Please don't judge me too harshly. My reason for joining this board was purely to exchange musical views. But guess what? Now even I have made some friends through the board.

Secondly, there are many out there who did get the joke. If my brand of humor/ entertainment helped make any of your tough days a little lighter then I am glad. For that was "TOMMY TUNES" intent. Your kind PMs, posts, emails and phonecalls meant and continue to mean a lot to me especially the recent deluge of support/ comraderie.Please understand that the person behind "TOMMY TUNES" does not want to take the chance of someone not "getting it" and feeling hurt. My thanks for your understanding.

Thirdly. To Bernie, Kathy and Ted. My thanks for providing TOMMY TUNES and everyone a place to learn, share and express our passions and escape the real world. Keep up the good work.

Finally. To Eric, Wally, Dave and Jim. I hope I entertained you guys one fraction of how much you have entertained me these past 30 or so years.

TOMMY, From your private messages and from your above post, I "got" that you never intended hurt to anyone.

Because Bernie has hosted "the board" since 1997, and even interfaced with some long long time board members since the "old aol days," before EC.com, when EC and Razz music was discussed in an aol forum, some longtime posters knew each other or had met at concerts. I wasn't aware of the aol thing (wish I had been there!) but signed on here around 1997 or '98, and by now have exchanged posts with many longtime posters.

Those who were here a long time wanted to meet each other at shows and we have. We basically came "as ourselves" and didn't try to hide our identities because we felt comfortable enough with even those who kidded around outrageously. This has been my first message board experience and I felt comfortable enough to post my real name, and even my address at times.

I personally find myself much less open to someone who uses an anonymous screen name than I am to one who discloses his/her identity. I've gotten close to people I've met at shows because they've turned out to be warm and wonderful people and I know their real names.

When one of them posts a humorous or even outrageous comment, I can laugh it off because I know the person. When someone whose identity I *don't* know does it, I am much more wary, because I can't be sure of their *real* motives for remaining incognito.

Those of us who have been here for awhile realize that this forum is an "okay place" to let people know who you are, both literally and figuratively. There may be websites that people use to "be someone they can't be anywhere else," but since the main purpose here is to discuss EC and Raspberries music in particular, other music in general and form kinships with those who admire the music, we're all pretty much focused on *those* things rather than on becoming an "alter-ego." What you see from the old timers here is pretty much what you get. That fact, and Bernie and Kathy's great administration (as well as Kay's on Raspberries.net) is why both sites are safe and comfortable, and have *brilliantly* served the purposes of promoting the music of Raspberries and Eric Carmen. It's not about *us,* it's about the music.

smile --Darlene

I could have said much the same thing as Darlene, but she already did, and much better than I could have. I guess we're not all here for exactly the same reasons. It's a fun place to be, I never even considered using an alias; maybe it's the class of people this site attracts. I certainly enjoy the humorous side of it, even been axed a couple of times. But, in the end, it's always been about the music. Here's a place where I've been able to share what Eric's music has meant to me. And thank him. And know he's got the message. A place to share not only past concerts and memories, but current one's, too. Where else, but here, could you hope to do that? Kirk.

"Tommy T" --I was a bit taken aback when you posted something kinda funny about my wedding a few months back, but I laughed it off. Then you sent me the nicest PM congratulating me and my new hubby. I knew right then that I didn't have to worry about you.

I love this board and the folks here. It's where I go to unwind at the end of the day. I try not to get too worked up about stuff that's posted. If I get bored with a thread or find it in some way getting a negative slant to it, I just move on to the next one.

Anyway, it's a great place here and we all have a common love for this awesome music.

Peace and Blessings,

--Julie

I guess the toughest part of being a member of a community like this is to understand that just like in society, everyone is different. And that's what makes it GREAT! In some ways we're alike, in other ways we're VERY different. Some of us can take a joke when it's on one subject, but find it harder to laugh when it's on another. So engage in debate, share, exchange ideas -- but be respectful. And the next time you hear a Rush song on the radio, think about the fact that someone must like hearing that crap otherwise they wouldn't be playing it, right?

Bernie :-)

I have NEVER been a "joiner" in my life.I have alot of close friends- for a 54 year old male-but they are all from different places in my past. I have NEVER "hung out" at work,attended Dinner Dances at my synagogue, or had a neighborhood bar where "Everybody knows your name". EC.COM is THE FIRST thing I have ever joined.It is my first fraternity.And though I know noone here well-I too feel the comradery of people who understand the importance of adding some music to your day.Thanks-Ira.

Ira- I know a lot of us were lurkers before we became joiners. This is one of the places where I feel comfortable posting. And Tommy, most of us did get the jokes. Even Tony gets carried away at times and needs to get reined in. I enjoyed Tune of the Day, it made me realize how little I know about music. We all need to remember that we are all different, have different tastes in music, different interests and jobs, and the thing that unites us is the music of Eric and the Raspberries. That's a lot more than unites many people in the world these days.

I think a lot of times people, especially women, use a screen name for safety purposes.

I wasn't worried about that on this site so much, but my name came about because my grandson, who's favorite Raspberrie song is Dave's "Rock and Roll Mama", he loved the "come on Sugar" line and started to say "Come on Sugar, dance with me" to me all the time, so I adopted the Sugar handle. But I don't hesitate to sign Cheri to a serious post.

TOMMY TUNES, post away!

Cheri