Brett Favre... oh yeah!

LC

BTW, the conflicting reports regarding Favre's decision as he "mulls" the Packers' $25 million bribe to go away are absolutely MADDENING. Ugh. I've heard totally opposite "leanings" --- just say you're gonna play, Brett. That's what this whole controversy is about!

I hope Favre and the Packers read tomorrow's (Sunday's) NY Times, where the great sportswriter William C. Rhoden nails the whole issue right on the head: RHODEN

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were to "fire" my favorite team, I would adopt the Colts.

They are my second favorite team and this why:

I have the greatest and uppermost admiration for Tony Dungy!

He puts his family first, and he treats his players respect. He doesn't seek the limelight; he is a football player and coach who plays for the love of the game.

Here is a link to an article about Tony Dungy if you would want to read more about this amazing man.

Hmmmm.....if I weren't a Giant fan, I would be.....I know they stink now...an Oakland Raiders fan. I always loved Kenny Stabler back in the day 'cause he was such a cool customer. And who didn't love watching John Madden running up and down the sideline, arms waving, hair flying, and mouth screaming! Back then, that Silver and Black mystique was pretty cool.

Hey Steve...I bet you still have nightmares about that playoff game back in 1980 when Brian Sipe threw that interception against the Raiders and lost the game for the Browns. That was a great game!

Gale Sayers rips on everyone who isn't....him! He is a bitter old man (and I love the Bears) but has been known to rip on Walter Payton, too.

He was at a Blackhawks game this year and said on tv that he felt he could have been a great hockey player if he wanted.

Mmmm, okay.

Come on over to the navy blue and orange, Larry....and bring Brett with ya!

He is supposed at arrive in camp tomorrow and be on the field Tuesday. Packers head guy Mark Murphy says "we are welcoming Brett with open arms."

If he starts for the Vikings on opening night aginst the Pack, can there be more of a public relations nightmare for Green Bay? (But, what a ratings grab for the NFL!)

I don't think the Pack would let him go either to the Bears or the Vikings. They hold his rights until 2010. They wouldn't release him outright, and until 2010, he plays for the Pack unless they trade him. I don't see that happening because his salary is like 17 million this year.

So he's going to compete for his job. I bet he'll win the starting job, too. But I don't think the fans will feel the same about him now. Let's see how he does through another grueling season that he was tired of last year.

Here's my take:

The Packers management stepped back for a few days, right after president Mark Murphy's visit to Favre, took a deep breath, and really thought about it. Then they realized, "You know, we actually are a better team with Favre on the roster than we are without him!"

Took 'em long enough!

My thinking is that the open competition will result in Favre getting the job (how can he not?) but also with Coach McCarthy working Rodgers into games a little earlier when we're well ahead.... In other words, instead of giving him a couple kneel-downs with a minute left, give him a couple series. Give him a whole 4th quarter when we're up 38-7.

This is all about a Super Bowl run. The defense is in place. The running game is fine, with Ryan Grant back. The receivers are awesome. The special teams were pretty good last year. The one big question mark was: Will Rodgers develop quickly enough? Now it's not a question mark. Favre is pretty experienced.

This is awesome! Thank God!

PS: Now, if only Al Gore had run for president, '08 would have been really great!

Sounds like it might be the trading block. They aren't sure he has the "committment" to have the success he had last year, when he "burned out". They are talking with the Bucs. Sounds like Favre might be pissed at Packer management about the whole situation. I think he thinks he can walk in and be the starter again, which he could, but if he isn't committed to doing it 100%, why would another team want him? I really think theres a lot of things we don't know and aren't privy to in this situation. On both sides.

IMHO.

I'm beyond sick. Ignore my earlier thoughts (four posts up). I was way off.

In the end, it's wrong for Brett Favre to get run out of GB. It's just wrong. It was wrong to push him into retirement, and wrong to set him up the way they did. It's wrong for the Packers, and it's wrong for Brett. It's all about an ego up in the front office.

You know, you can't help empathize. The Favre mess is just another reminder that, football aside, you can be a GREAT employee for a company, exceed expectations, create lots of good will inside and out, turn your company from a loser to a success, help make everyone around you a better employee, and never, ever miss a day of work over a period of, say, 16 years... but none of it means a thing when "the boss" decides you're too old or not committed enough or not in the right frame of mind anymore....

It's just sad. Very sad. Favre was the last athlete on earth that I figured would get run out of his town.

While I feel sorry for Packers fans, this is so typical of the way various NFL teams are run.....with the eye on dollars & cents, and not winning, and certainly not loyalty to employees! Without all of the fanfare, this is pretty much what happened to Unitas, Namath, Montana, and several others - all-time greats who were closely identified with one team, but who basically got dumped by their teams for younger and cheaper QBs. In some cases, they should have probably retired (Unitas, Namath), in Montana's case, he still had a couple of decent seasons left. I'm sure Brett can still play at a high level, but the question is - will it really make that big a difference with the Jets?

I guess if Lombardi can leave and go to the Redskins then Brett can leave for the Jets. Got to feel sorry for Aaron Rodgers at this point -- what shoes to fill. Anything less than 10 wins and they will be looking for his head!

I'm a Packer fan first...Favre fan second.

Billy, you're right, except Vince did leave because he wanted to. If Favre had his 'druthers, he'd be the Packers' starting QB. And you're right about A-Rodg. I agree that he's in a tough situation, He seems to be taking it all in stride... but training camp is different than stepping on that field on opening night with the Ghost of Favre shadowing you.... Maybe he'll deliver; who knows?

On another note, I've been reading a lot of fans' comments at the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal web site, and I'm amazed at how many longtime Packer fans are saying "good riddance." There are a lot of Favre supporters, too; basically it's a Civil War between Packer fans. I for one am very disappointed that nothing could be worked out --- because WITH Favre, the Packers were a Super Bowl contender. Without him, it's a question. I know if the Packers and Jets played this year (they don't, unless they both make the Super Bowl), I'd be pulling for Brett.

Interesting comment from Boomer Esaiason:

"There will be these Brett Favre detractors," Esiason said, "either because they've never played before or because they're completely miserable and they sit in judgment about somebody, and they don't know how difficult it's been to do what he has done."

Tony, I think it'll be a real challenge. If Favre is truly anxious to play and is energized, and energizes the guys around him, he'll be fine. I do think he's the type of player who improves those around him. Lav Coles and Jerricho Cotchery (sp?) are pretty good receivers who (I bet) will be even better with Brett throwing to them. Conversely, Donald Driver and Greg Jennings are great receivers who may still be great with Rodgers... or maybe they'll be a little less effective with the unproven QB. Again, it'll be fun to watch both teams.

Right now, at this moment, I'm a Jets fan more than a Packers fan! Never thought I'd say that.... I'm looking at all this Packer memorabilia around my office (Bart Starr-signed photo, Starr-signed framed poster, Nitschke-signed mini-helmet, Favre-signed mini-helmet, Favre-signed 8x10, cheesehead, etc., etc.), but I'm feeling pretty POed at the current executive regime. If they go 6-10 this year, I'd feel kind of like, "Good! Fire Ted Thompson for making the wrong decision!" But I'll probably lighten up as the season gets closer.

You're lucky to be a Chargers fan....

Before the Favre trade, I'd have said the six best NFC teams (this year, not last) are the Cowboys, Packers, Giants, Cowboys, Vikings, Seahawks. Now I'd slide the Packers down behind the Vikings and maybe the Seahawks. In fact, the Saints are looking pretty good, too -- and they have a better QB.

In the AFC, the Jets would ave a hard, hard road, almost an impossible one, to the Super Bowl. IMHO, the best teams over there are the Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Jags, Steelers, Ravens... and then maybe the Jets. The nice thing about the Jets is that they get to play Miami and Buffalo twice each, plus they've got some other weaker teams on the sched: Cardinals, Raiders, Chiefs, Rams, Titans, 49ers.... So they could win 10 or 11 games.