Brett Favre... oh yeah!

LC

These reports that Brett Favre wants to come back... Wow!

I know there are some who say he's retiring at the right time, and that the Packers have already moved on and shouldn't open the door to a comeback, but DAMN --- I say, if Brett wants to come back, the Packers ought to welcome him back with the "openest" arms they can extend. Aaron Rodgers can wait.

Brett threw for 4,000 yards and 28 TDs last year and was one pass away from the Super Bowl. Here's hoping he's back in green and gold in the fall... and if the Packers are already married to Aaron Rodgers, well, then I hope Brett plays somewhere else. And you guys?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine Favre playing anywhere but Green Bay. That being said,if not Green Bay...then maybe closer to home for him...like Atlanta?

Even though he's flip-flopped before, I'd LOVE to see him back in action next year. As you said LC, he was one interception away from the Super Bowl last year.

John

Not a bad thought, Paulie, considering Green Bay's management didn't do anything to entice Brett to stay back in March --- and ain't doing anything now. He was a Falcon for 1 season before Green Bay stole him away, so it would a nice, symmetrical way to go out. The only thing is, I'd rather see him go to a team that has a chance to win... like Green Bay! I just figure the Packers don't want to open a can of worms, so they'll stay cool and non-committal (lest Aaron Rodgers have a hissy fit...).

I think Brett enjoys playing with the media. As a Packer fan, the last five years has been is he retiring, is he coming back, back and forth. It gets a bit old...however if he did play again I don't want him in any other uniform -- I consider him a Packer for life. I'm thinking though, better to go out on top rather than coming back like Reggie White did with Carolina.

I haven't checked in with my GB friends yet so don't know their take, but should be interesting.

I'm with Laura - hate to see him in anything but green and gold. Pretty torn on whether I want to see him play anywhere else - logic says it would be great for him to play, no matter what. Emotion says nowhere but GB and let AR get over himself...listen to Favre and let him teach everyone a thing or two.

I know, I know - we could say he's done all he can in terms of teaching... I can't answer this objectively because I may have a chance at going to a game at Lambeau again this season so...

S*

Oh...I'm sorry I spelled your name wrong in my first email...it's 1 N...I got it....and one more thing...I know a lot of you guys and gals are Packers fans...but...I have 3 words to say...LET'S GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!! Only kidding. I'd like to see Brett give it one more shot...One of the best of all time. *G*

I'm fully in Favre's camp on this little "issue." Damn, after 16 years of service, he deserved more than a "make-your-decision-by-March-1" request. Brett's mistake was to retire; rather, he should have said, "Look, I'm not ready to make the decision --- I wanna recover from the season for another month and catch my breath, and then I'll call."

And for Packer GM Ted Thompson to snub him like he did a week ago.... Ouch. Favre text-messaged him a note asking to talk. Ted Thompson sent a note back saying he was on vacation, and Brett would have to wait until he returned. As one columnist wrote, can you imagine the Colts doing that to Peyton Manning, or the Broncos to John Elway?

Thompson COULD have sent a one-line note saying, "We want you back, and let's talk early next week." That's it. That would have said volumes. Instead, his silence said it all -- the whole "moving on" company line. Take all your NFL passing records and 16 years of service and 275 straight starts, playing through all kinds of injuries, and stay retired. We're making way for Aaron Rodgers."

As Rod Stewart once said, "Is that the thanks I get?"

The whole situation is sad. I LOVE the Pack, but I'm really burned up that they're so bound and determined to take this really talented team and put it in Rodgers' hands.... It's just not right --- and most important, it's not the best thing for the Packers. The quickest way to get back to the Super Bowl would be to give #4 the ball. I know Brett was non-committal (again) after the season ended, but he's earned some leeway.... IMHO.

In this day and age, when players (in any sport) rarely stay with one team for more than four or five years, Favre was a rock, and Packer fans loved him for it. And the team itself. The Pack rode Favre until they felt like the "future is here." Well, I'd rather have them consider the present --- right now --- because the Pack is oh-so-close to winning it all.

But to me, the formula is obvious:

Packers - Favre + Rodgers = 9-7 record, or maybe 8-8.

I hope Brett hooks up with a team that truly appreciates his way --- a team that is very close to Super Bowl contention. He could put them over the top. This is the order of teams I'd like to see him on:

1. Vikings. Adrian Peterson would be the best back Favre has ever played with. Defenses simply couldn't key on Favre and the passing game.... And Chester Taylor ain't a bad change-of-pace. Strong running game, great line.

2. Buccaneers. Jon Gruden used to be the Packers' receivers' coach, so he knows Favre, and he uses a West Coast offense.

3. Bears. Da Bears! Just picture Favre in those black jerseys with the C on the helmet. Unreal. He'd be a perfect teammate for Brian Urlacher.

4. Ravens. They could make some noise with a newly sparked offense to go with that D. The AFC is tough, though --- you've gotta get past the Pats, Colts, Steelers, and Jags, among others, to get to the Super Bowl.

5. Chiefs. Not a bad call, as Pat says.

Really, the Packers would be at the top of my list (and Favre's too, according to Steve Mariucci). But that seems unlikely, unless some mediator comes in and has Packer management and Favre kiss and make up. Smmmooooooocchh! --- football types ain't good at that....

Basically, the Pack has him over a barrel. They say that they won't release him, and has to petition the commish for reinstatement. He has two years left on his contract. I don't think the Pack will release him and get nothing for him. And they won't let him play against them. So the Packers hold the cards and Favre has to choose.

After seeing Joe Namath as a Ram, Johnny Unitas as a Charger, and Joe Montana as a Chief, I guess anything is possible, BUT....While I think they will resolve the issue and he will play for the Packers, the only other teams I could see would be Kansas City or Baltimore.

I did see a fairly recent interview with Jon Gruden on the NFL Network where he lamented "never having a franchise type quarterback in all his years of coaching", but that was well before all this. Maybe Brett saw the same show?

IF, and that's a mighty big IF, they trade him, I can just about guarantee it'll be to the AFC. There is no way they let him come back and haunt them in GB wearing Bear or Viking colors.

Great point Laura! Didn't he give that speech to Sterling Sharpe and most recently Javon Walker? If he plays again I hope it's for the Packers and no one else. And if he said he was coming back in April rather than waiting until now there would be no problem. What is the organization supposed to do? Let's see, our leader left, ah, let's just sit around and not move forward, maybe someday he will come back. I don't think so Brett.

i'm just afraid if he goes to another team,he will get hurt..he had a chemistry in green bay,who knows what another offensive line would bring if he does'nt know them all,yet alone a horrible line!!! i hope he stays retired really..he has deserved this moment to do so..lol,chris

I certainly remember both Sterling and Javon. Javon was the one I thought of because it was more recent.

I too would think that he would take his health and live a nice happy life on his farm in Hattiesburg, MS. What does he have to prove? And if he gets a couple of concussions, or busts up a knee bad, and ends up with lasting effects.

I certainly would welcome him back, but basically he's played this "will he come back or won't he come back?" game for a couple of years now. I don't blame the Pack for trying to make a post-Favre game plan.

Not to mention a large cap hit the Packers will face if they release him out right. I don't blame the Packers one bit, hey Brett, how about coming to camp and winning the job? We've been going through the retirement business for years now.