"Fan" ejected, treatment too harsh?

Braves fan

No way was the treatment too harsh. Why in the world should someone do something like that (other than the fact they must be a moron)? Those lights can be extremely blinding. A player could have gotten seriously hurt depending on the situation. Just my 2 cents.

I hope they throw the book at him. He could have blinded one of the players, they could have been hit with a line drive because they couldn't see it coming and had their career ended by being distracted by the light, etc.

I have the satellite television baseball package and watch many games and I'm surprised more people aren't thrown out, especially in those front rows. I saw a game in Pittsburgh the other night and three idiots spent the last several innings trying to distract the pitcher on every pitch to the point that I was annoyed watching it, then at Wrigley Field, some moron kept taking his shirt off and waiving it over his head (it was like forty degrees) and hitting people around him...and this was in the front row! NOBODY wants to look at you, dude!

One would hope, or at least think that, 11 years down the road, Mr. Maier's 15 minutes of fame would have been eclipsed by Steve Bartman of '03 playoffs fame......Let's see, Maier's interference may or may not have won that playoff series for the Yankees, who went on to win their 23rd of 26 World titles. (And frankly, as one who lives 50 miles from Baltimore and follows them, trust me - the Birds would have found another way to have lost that series!)

Bartman's f***-up, on the other hand, possibly cost the Cubs their first World Series since what, 1842 or so??? A much larger cosmic event in the overall scheme of things, I think....

Aside from the fact that Bartman did not "enter the field of play" to interfere and the Cubs still had to blow the lead and get beat in the next game... the whold thing is Bartman's fault.

It's an argument that will go on for as long as people talk about baseball. Bartman was in the stands. The little punk in New York broke the plane of the playing field to interfere. There is a huge difference.

I do agree that it is very likely that the Orioles would have found a way to lose anyway, but in either case it's tragic when a fan of the game can become the "goat" when the team blows one of their few chances at glory.

As for the Yankees, if they never made another post season appearance (until every other team had 26 titles at least) it would not break my heart at all. laugh

you know - this is slightly off topic but i hope you follow me - yesterday, I had to ask the referee at our soccer game to remove a gang of boys from behind the goal (rule is no on allowed behind the goal from corner to corner the width of the field) because they were taunting and trying to pick up my players during the game. I actually pulled one player because she performing poorly and she was the one who told me what was going on.

Can't people just watch the game??!!!!!

Last night, during the Los Angeles Angels-Detroit Tigers game, the second batter of the game for the Tigers hit a foul ball down the left field line. Some idiot in an Angels jersey and hat reached out with his glove and deflected the ball away from Angels left fielder Garrett Anderson. Shockingly, they called the batter out on fan interference.

The very next batter (!!!!) hit a foul ball down the right field/first base line and some guy got in the way of the hometown first baseman Casey Kotchman's attempt to catch it. Kotchman made contact with the guy reaching for the ball in the first row and the ball hit the fan and ricocheted (?) back in the air and Kotchman made a juggling barehanded grab.

The umpire had run out to make the call and somehow fell into the Tigers dugout! Even though he was hanging over the railing, he called it foul and said the ball touched the fan and made no fan interference call, despite manager Mike Scoscia's argument. This was all three batters into the game and two hometown fans had attempted to rob the hometown team of two outs.

Pretty soon they are going to have to put barbed wire up on all sides of the playing field or hand free baseballs out to everyone on the way in.

Don't get me started on Bartman.............

you know - this is slightly off topic but i hope you follow me - yesterday, I had to ask the referee at our soccer game to remove a gang of boys from behind the goal (rule is no on allowed behind the goal from corner to corner the width of the field) because they were taunting and trying to pick up my players during the game. I actually pulled one player because she performing poorly and she was the one who told me what was going on.

Can't people just watch the game??!!!!!

NO, they can't.

I've coached girls basketball for the last twelve years and I can't tell you how it sickens me every time a nine year old is at the free throw line and some "fans" start to "cough" or "choke" just as a kid is about to release the ball on her shot.

When my daughter, who's now in high school, was in sixth grade, we were losing a game by one point with one second on the clock. She was at the free throw line with two shots. Several parents on the other team moved behind the net she was shooting at and started jumping up and down and screaming trying to rattle her. I asked the referee, "you're going to allow this?" and he said nothing. She made both shots to win the game and I can't begin to tell you what I felt like doing, but just decided to enjoy the moment.

I recently saw a long time ref at one of her high school tournaments and he told me a story involving ten year old boys at the Chicago Bulls camp. One of the boys gave a hard foul to another and when the kid hit the ground, his father ran onto the court and punched the ten year old who had fouled his son! Ten years old! Parents from both sides spilled onto the court and started a free for all. The ref told me that several under cover policemen were there and started handcuffing a few to break it up. He said when the kid on the floor came to, he saw his father in handcuffs, being dragged off the court by two policemen!

Kids sports! There's nothing quite like it!

• 5 weeks later...

I remembered this topic last night as I watched a Los Angeles Dodgers-Milwaukee Brewers game. Now, I'm not a Brewers fan, far from it, but during the game, the Dodgers have runners on first and third with one out when a long fly ball is hit to deep left field. Brewers left fielder Geoff Jenkins reaches over his head and makes a nice catch, but LA's Juan Pierre is now tagging up to go home. As Jenkins starts to transfer the ball from glove to bare hand, one of the Dodger fans reaches over the wall and slaps his arm! Pierre scores without a throw.

Now, because Jenkins turns and says something to the idiot, the "fans" start chanting "Jenkins sucks" through the rest of the inning.

When is enough....enough? Watch the game and don't be involved! Security did nothing despite the protests of the Brewers. The television showed a closeup of the fans in that front row of the outfield and you couldn't believe the anger on their faces yelling and making fists at Jenkins. It's a game, isn't it?

How about back in the day when they used to throw M-80's and firecrackers from the upper deck to the lower deck at concerts...it amazed me that they never patrolled for this and made arrests. They finally cracked down in Philly after a member of Aerosmith was hit with something during a show.

Related to baseball: we actually had a streaker in Philly a few weeks ago at the Phillies game, they threw the book at him too. (Why don't women ever streak by the way???)

Does anybody remember the "well endowed" lady who used to charge the field and kiss the players? What was her name? Now that was just funny!! But funny isn't good enough anymore.. it has to be taken to the "next level".... Somebody wants on tv....screw up the outcome of a game as a fan and you'll be pasted everywhere!!

Muzza, do you all have baseball there...like major league style?

Ronda

Ronda...Baseball is only played a little bit here in the Auckland area. However, softball is big here and New Zealand have been the world champions. I'm not sure who the champions are at the moment. Softball is not professional here so people have to raise funds to attend the championships etc.

The "lady" streakers, (as well as male ones) usually appear at the Rugby matches, male streakers sometimes appear at the cricket. Steps are being taken to enforce very high fines for people who "invade" fields (Pitches).

Our major sports are Cricket and softball in the summer, with Basketball thrown in and our main winter sports are Rugby, Rugby League and Netball for the ladies. Soccer is growing in popularity. Equestion is strong as is Sailing and hopefully New Zealand will be holders of the Americas Cup soon laugh That's providing we can beat Alinghi in Valencia. And of course Prada in the semis. laugh

Muzza cool

Thank you Pat!!! I could not for the life of me remember her name!! Oh, and BTW, Pat, did they move Lt. Rice? I got the letter back that I sent with a stamp on it "moved, no forwarding address". Would still like to send him a letter!!

Muzza, I'm familiar with everything accept "NETBALL".....anything like basketball?

Ronda

Played on a court like basketball. No back boards on the goals. The Player with the ball cannot move until they have passed the ball. Usually, only 2 players have the responsibilty of shooting goals in each team.

It is played in 4 timed quarters and no Time outs.NZ have been world champions a number of times.

Muzza cool

Thank you Pat!!! I could not for the life of me remember her name!! Oh, and BTW, Pat, did they move Lt. Rice? I got the letter back that I sent with a stamp on it "moved, no forwarding address". Would still like to send him a letter!!

Muzza, I'm familiar with everything accept "NETBALL".....anything like basketball?

Ronda

Ronda:

Not only did they move Jesse, he has already had a couple of eye surgeries, and is coming along marvelously! As a matter of fact, he was at our church the last two weeks and everyone gave him a standing ovation.

He is heading to Minnesota for further rehab and possibly another surgery.

I will see if they post an address for him once he gets situated there. He did say a few words to everyone and was overwhelmed by all the cards and letters he received, so I'm sure he would appreciate getting yours.

Pat, that's WONDERFUL news!! Gives me goosebumps!! I would surely love to write to him, to thank him. So, if you do get his address, I would like to resend my letter.

Muzza, that sounds interesting. I may have to see if YouTube has snippettes of some games!!

Ronda