Drummers

Billy K.

• 6 months later...

Not so ironically, my most indelible drummer experience was witnessing Bob Allen's brother Tommy Allen in the spring of 1982 (then with Screen Test). This was the same night I saw The Police at The Carrier Dome which was a dreadful bore--The Synchronicity Tour, ugh. Needless to say, the great drumming of Stewart Copeland was lost amongst the bloated arena sound...

Screen Test definitively displayed the true meaning and spirit of power pop and defined what was the "club experience." And during those peak years 1982-1984, Tommy Allen was the most exciting drummer I'd ever seen. Since then I've seen the legendary Clem Burke and even though Clem is in another league, he was, either a bit too show-offish or would often times play certain songs too fast. He still was a monster and one of the greatest.

other great drummers: Doug Tull (w/ Tommy Keene), Peter Parker (Dirty Looks), Ray Kubian (True Love/Mars Needs Women), Chris Maggio (unknown kid from NJ who was in a band called Puggle, and is now in a band called Accobra), John Bonham, Buffin (Mott The Hoople)... Ringo Starr on: "Tomorrow Never Knows," "A Day In The Life," "Glass Onion," "Happiness Is A Warm Gun," "Money" "Roll Over Beethoven"

No question about it...Tommy Allen is a natural (all bias aside). Going back to my earlier post on this topic from the summer...Mr. Dino Danelli (love his work on the first Fotomaker LP, plus he always reminded me of Paul McC!). And, while I'm at it, Steve Brigida from Artful Dodger, one of the best American rock 'n roll bands of all time (this is not an exageration; it's a fact). Would love to see a thread on AD...maybe I'll start one.

Bob Allen

Syracuse, NY

Marvin: Artful Dodger (they hailed from Fairfax, VA)was in a class by itself. I suppose some would say they were, musically, an amalgam of Faces/Stones/Beatles. They were a killer rock 'n roll band that knew how to meld melodic hooks with straight-ahead guitars, pounding drums and the most charismatic lead singer I've ever seen live (Billy Paliselli). Plus, they had the tunes. The album you reference - their first - came out in '75 and is one of my desert island must haves ('Think Think' and 'Silver and Gold' are classic songs). The group put out 2 more LPs on Columbia (Honor Among Thieves, Babes on Broadway) both containing chestnut songs that would make you pee your pants (give 'Scream' a listen if you want a case of the chills). In 1980 they released their final record called 'Rave On' that

contains a batch of songs that are among the best power-pop/rock tunes ever recorded: Come Close to Me and She's Just My Baby will take your breath away -- I'm not kidding. As I posted before, singer Billy Paliselli had a voice and stage presence that was just sick (in a good way). The 2 guitarists - Gary Herriwig and Gary Cox - were also killer. Despite being on a major label and having major management (Leber Krebs) the group never made it. It's a very sad but not unfamiliar story. They deserved so much more. I belive you can find their musical output here and there. I would encourage you to do whatever it takes to locate it.

RIP Artful Dodger.

Bob Allen

Syracuse, NY