Death penalty....

hollies65

Tony, THAT was funny! I was actually thinkng of something more like "Survivor". You just dump 'em in there and whoever survives survives. Maybe Dick Cheney could personally supervise the construction.

Isn't it weird to think they tried to impeach Clinton for a little Monica Lewinsky action?

Kinda pales in comparison to the 4 trillion dollars and 4000 American boys dead in Iraq.

Sometime in the late 1980's I stumbled upon an article in Time Magazine pertaining to a group of Attorneys and research they had done pertaining to “The Death Penalty†in the US.

Their studies eluded to the idea that between 1934 and I believe it was 1976 when the US Supreme Court overturned Capital Punishment that somewhere in the area of 3000 executions had been carried out in the US....It's been a while since I concluded my own research so forgive me if my dates are a little fuzzy. Their studies also indicated that 50% to 60% of those executed had been innocent. Various factors contributed to those numbers. Over zealous prosecutors were a big blame...and under educated public defenders. The reality is most people who wind up on death row are not wealthy people who can afford what we refer to as “effective†council. Needless to say with some newly imposed procedural criteria the Feds once again granted the states who wanted to participate the authority to enact and legislate the death penalty.

DNA has been a fabulous breakthrough for proving innocence. However there is little money and few organizations willing to assume every post conviction appeal. I recently learned that Texas which as most of us know has the highest execution rate in the country has no law that even guarantees post conviction defense. Therefore many are left to attempt these procedures with little if any help.

There is little if any fairness to the way the death penalty is instituted. Questions arise such as “how do you execute a one time 18 year old involved with the wrong crowd†when we allow plea bargains to individuals such as Gary Ridgeway (The Green River Killer) and Kenneth Bianci ( One of the Hillside Stranglers along with his Uncle Angelo Buono who died at San Quentin not to long ago)...? Or that Dennis Rader the Kansas BTK Killer evaded the death penalty because although it took 30 years to catch and convict him there was no death penalty in Kansas during the time frame he “Bound, Tortured and Killed†10 young women in Sedgwick County between 1974 and 1991. Wisconsin had no death penalty when Jeffery Dahmer was caught and convicted so the inmates there took care of that. Even they have a code of what's acceptable and what is not.

I do not oppose the death penalty but I do oppose the way it is sometimes carelessly and prejudicially imposed. In cases such at Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacey, Richard Ramirez and the above aforementioned there should be absolutely no appeals process. It's time the insanity defense in these cases also be put to rest...who wouldn't argue insanity in such cases??? But that should never be accepted as exculpatory evidence for heinousness.

And you thought all I think about is pole dancing...Ha!!! insane

Men- you are gonna wince at my thought..... rip the appendage off without any anesthetic and shove it down his throat and choke him to death with it (Diane actually came up with it - but we both agreed it was the best solution for him).

The most that guy can get under Austrian Law is 15 years. For raping your child for decades...and keeping them locked up? Boy, those Austrians value their women and children. Give me ten minutes with that guy, justice will be served.

Hollies,

My guess is that it won't take 10 minutes...... arrgh

I personally can't believe that the wife didn't know what was going on? Please..... mad Is the wife being indicted as well?

In China execution have become an industry for "organ harvesting"....you can be executed for even white collar type crimes...and there is no appeal...basically organs are matched with tissue types even before sentences are passed down...Big execution vans which look like motor homes roll into prison yards...The condemned is then brought to the van where all curtains are closed and everything is kept very hush hush....articles I've read pertaining to this which you can find all over the net indicate it to be a very "bloody" ordeal...importing livers and kidneys from china has become quite a lucrative business. eek

I say we find a remote island somewhere of the coast of Bangladesh, build a 90 foot wall around it, and dump all the murderers, child molesters and rapists in there, and let 'em fend for themselves. One strike and you're out.

ec

There you go Eric, now your candidacy can be based on two issues...this and the consumption tax.

You got my vote.....

Speaking of the election and issues, this just came across my desk:

'We in Denmark cannot figure out why you are even bothering to hold an

election.

> >

On one side, you have a bitch who is a lawyer, married to a lawyer, she

opposes a lawyer who is married to a bitch who is a lawyer.

> >

On the other side, you have a true war hero married to a woman with a huge chest who owns a beer distributorship.

> >

Is there a contest here?'

....at least the guys should find this funny! haha

Oh lord Harry, that is FUNNY!!!

OK - back to the thread. I am sure innocent people have been executed. I am hopeful that the DNA advances will put iron-clad proven murderers, child molesters, etc. to death faster. There is a concern, however, that if the law is changed to support the death penalty for pedophiles (molestation/rape/kidnapping of the victim but not murdered) that the pedophiles will escalate to murder to prevent identification. Physical and chemical castration does NOT stop a pedophile. They still have sexual thoughts, desires, and impulses.

As I have said before in different threads, my aunt was raped and murdered at the age of 7 by a child molester (from OHIO, but it took place in Northern Ireland during the war) and the man was executed. My mother, a very religious Roman Catholic, wouldn't have it any other way.

Death penalty = no repeat offenders.

My husband's 15 yr old cousin was kidnapped in front of her house while waiting for the school bus in 1989. She was raped and stabbed mulitple times and left for dead in the trunk of a car. She didn't survive. The police found her a couple of days after she disappeared. The defendants wanted a judge to decided their fate. They had already pleaded guilty to the crimes. They first received the death penalty but it was overturned to life in prison. The latest is that they are saying that lethal injection is inhumane and that the prisoner suffers during the procedure.

The family has suffered so much over the last 18 yrs.

I agree that Death Penalty = no repeat offenders.

HT

HT, my heart goes out to your family. Isn't it ironic that the injection is objectionable because it's painful and inflicts "undue" stress and anxiety?

I take great solace in knowing it took my aunt's murderer 22 minutes die, slowly strangling to death at the end of a rope.

He killed my aunt by strangulation. Certainly a Biblical ending in my eyes.

I hope your family can find solace in knowing that, as someone else mentioned here earlier in this thread, inmates have a caste system and they HATE child molesters/murderers. A life sentence means living physical and emotional abuse every day FOR SURE.

Peace my friend.

If this happened in the USA, there would be a slew of people objecting that this person's civil rights have been violated. If someone commits this atrocious crime, he's lost his civil rights.

I've always preferred shipping these louts off to an iceberg instead of a deserted island. Neither one, unfortunately, is realistic. I'm all for the death penalty.