Rod Price R.I.P.

marvin

I just read that Rod Price, incredible slide guitarist and founding member of Foghat, passed away on Tuesday after sustaining head injuries from a fall down a stairwell. You might not have liked Foghat, but there was no denying Rod's talent as a guitar player.

Marvin

Wow, I'm very sad to hear about that. Foghat was always one of my favorite bands. Now, they have lost the 2 main pieces of the original band. I got to see the original band live 4 times, and they always put on a fantastic show. I left each concert with a smile on my face.

To quote Lonesome Dave: "When I was Stone Blue Rock and Roll sure helped me through.."

RIP Rod crying

We will always have the music happy

Hello Bob Allen

I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you don't have to be rude. The 2 members of Foghat who have died (Dave and Rod) left behind wives and children. They also left behind some great music.

I'm not sure if you were making a lame attempt at humor, or if you were just showing your ignorance.

foghat foghat foghat....

at least it brings out the ol' scabrous humor (rude & ignorant as i luved it) of Bob Allen...

& his brother has previously attested to actually owning & "enjoying" F.H. back in the day...

STILL, the dubious distinction of "Slowride" overkill from too many Cletuses in rusted pick-ups (was it 95X?) mullets & all--across the thruway & up rt 81 towards H20-town is enough to make one swear it off for life......

thank god for Bob's brother's band (the 'Cubes) to quickly ween me off the excessive hard rock of the '70s & initiate me to the Raspberries, punk, British Invasion, garage & glam I was sorely missing.... my copy of "Foghat Live" was quickly traded in for "Fresh"....

Dave Peverett is now no longer "Lonesome" up by the pearly gates now that Rod has joined him replete with the notrious slide in hand, I'm sure... he will be missed by his fans...

these days, I'm glad to say that I dig "Fool For The City" and a couple of other choice FH tunes but still turn off "Slowride" whenever it comes on the radio.... it still reminds me too much of the bad things that made '70s rock such a drag... beards on guitar players, drum solos, farmer's clothes-- all the stuff the Raspberries (or, at least Eric) were bent on rallying against.... I tend to forget whose website we're chatting on when these back & forths about other things pop up.....

pierson

Referencing the end of your message - That is exactly why marvin put this subject in the Community section where we can "Talk about everything else".

Nobody appreciates the Raspberries more than me, but you can't group all of the other 70's rock together. Who wore farmer's clothes? The 70's gave us a lot of diverse rock bands including Supertramp, The Cars, ELP, Aerosmith, Kiss, The Eagles, ELO, Heart, Yes, Alan Parsons, Sweet, Van Halen, Queen, and many many more. You've got to keep an open mind. Yes - Some of us can like the Raspberries and Foghat.

smile

these days i am more open to liking the 'fray' Foghat song... but I feel since this is ericcarmen.com it's cool to voice an opinion... liking everything & being open-minded is one thing but also putting into context why the Raspberries were important & special during 1972-1975 is key-- they were very "punk" in their approach which was reactionary to bands like Foghat, Jethro Tull, Grateful Dead, Grand Funk etc...

liking these bands really isn't the issue... making concise pop-driven rock and roll was... & since Eric Carmen realized that there was a dearth of such things in 1971 he set out on a mission.... to quote Tommy Allen: "If you can't say it 3 minutes, don't bother..." The Raspberries did just that w/ "Go All The Way" (they also went "prog" w/ "I Can Remember")... thrifty boys...

numerous rock bands in the '70s wore overalls (Farmer's clothes) -- a byproduct of the then-booming country rock genre... needless to say, the cover of "Fresh" was the misunderstood kick in the balls to such a quandary.... Bowie & Roxy Music's androgynous pose was more potent & to the point... by 77 punk bands took the obvious lead on the spiritual quest...

Hello again Mr pierson,

I'm still curious about this whole "Farmers Clothes / Overalls" thing. My thought is that you are a quite young person, and you are just guessing that rock bands wore such things. You mentioned that you know of numerous bands who did - Can you please name 2 or 3 for me? Thinking back on all of the actual rock bands of the 70's I can't think of 1.

Yes I know I'm obsessing - lol - Like you mentioned, It's great that we can all voice our opinions. Oh yeh, what "Spiritual Quest" were punk rockers on? Rebellion yes / Quest no

The Clash & Ramones were MOST DEFINITELY on a spiritual quest... Sex Pistols were rebellion...

On the back cover of Raspberries' Best (vinyl) was a quote from Eric regarding the farmer attire syndrome... which was one of the major causes of friction which lead to the breakup of the original line-up... (Dave Smalley wore overalls-- although they were usually not as torn & frayed as a farmer's)...

the quote: Eric: "Smalley wanted to go onstage w/ jeans or his regular street clothes... He thought I was writing songs for teenyboppers and Wally & I were dressing like gays because we were wearing shoes with heels. He called me the king of the teenyboppers one day so I told him that I would rather dress like a gay than an itinerant farm worker, and that was it."

Bands who wore such clothes: Lynard Skynard, Eagles, Grateful Dead, Doobie Bros, Allmans, early Tull... it was de riguer between 1969-1971.... even the Kinks looked very sloppy during that era... McCartney grew a beard & actually farmed.... there was a whole "back to the country" mind frame that was spurred on by Dylan, The Band, Byrds & Dead....

Eric's MO was to rebel very strongly against this malaise which, despite some good creative stuff from the progenitors, zapped the excitement & innocence out of the majority of rock bands...

pierson my friend,

You need to stop posting with a dictionary at your side. I appreciate your responses to my posts, but there is no need to butcher the english language. Who the heck walks around using words like malaise, de riguer, and progenitors? Being an old college grad with a major in english it makes me smile.

You make some good points - There is no need to use such an expansive vocabulary.

Have a great day! wink

also... foghat done sum good work thats i like & the rasperrys also good at whats they du so much that i cants tell difference between nuthin that grateful canned heat or raspberries foghat means all the same in my car when i play them on summer day after a beer or two,....

I've always liked "Drivin' Wheel".

Hey, pierson, ignore Tim - use whatever words you want. Heck, even make up new ones if you want, it's fun!

And Tim, "you need to learn" (jeez, could you find a more condescending phrase than that?) that despite your chosen degree field, you are not the arbiter of vocabularial overexpansituity. Get over yourself. And have a great day!

wink