Why the heck don't babyboomers rule the roost anymore?

Lee Marshall

Are we not still the majority? As those just younger than the traditional babyboomers move into positions of authority and INFLUENCE...we [boomers] seem to have either been forgotten, shunted aside, or are [as a result of our failure to enact the CHANGE we might have all along the way?] held in contempt.

Our world [particularly our formative years] is ancient history and NOT to be pandered to virtually at all.

TV is chalk full of stuff for younger audiences. Radio doesn't cater to our wants and needs...our tastes and desires. All they seem to be doing for us now is trying to figure out who'll actually be around to change our 'depends' and give us our "shut the 'f' up 'meds'...when the time comes...and that time is FAST approaching.

Perhaps if we had done something to change dirty politics and look after environmental concerns. Perhaps if we had cared about our fellow man WAY more vigorously. Perhaps if we hadn't been so greedy. Perhaps if we hadn't allowed the same thing to happen to previous generations....

Instead we're stuck with today's crap...in all its shapes and forms...and the world ain't much better than it was.

What goes around....comes around. frown

Perhaps if we had done something to change dirty politics and look after environmental concerns. Perhaps if we had cared about our fellow man WAY more vigorously. Perhaps if we hadn't been so greedy. Perhaps if we hadn't allowed the same thing to happen to previous generations....

Instead we're stuck with today's crap...in all its shapes and forms...and the world ain't much better than it was.

The "Crap" that we're stuck with isn't exactly hermetically sealed away from Baby Boomers.

Most of the "Crap" out there now is a result of Baby Boomer thinking.

The "ME" generation is a f*cking disaster. Period.

As far as I'm concerned most Baby Boomers publicly adopt poses of concern and regurgitate self-righteous slogans and privately gaze at their navels doing nothing.

And "Previous Generations" overall displayed far more integrity and character than we can hope to salvage from our narcisstic, greedy, imploding culture.

I think the main flaw is that we got too arrogant in our so called advancements and decided to throw away the past almost wholesale. Sure, without question some things needed to be changed, but as usual with the human race the good stuff from the past that was there because it worked got thrown away too.

What really happens in history is this: the old man is always wrong; and the young people are always wrong about what is wrong with him. The practical form it takes is this: that, while the old man may stand by some stupid custom, the young man always attacks it with some theory that turns out to be equally stupid.

I think we have all been forced to believe that tolerance and diversity in ALL things is good for society. "Don't be so judgemental of things you don't like, or don't think is RIGHT."

What a load of crap!

Tolerance of SOME things. Diversity in SOME things. BUT GET RID OF THE CRAP AND DON'T TOLERATE BEHAVIOR AND IDEAS THAT ARE BAD FOR SOCIETY!

And, of course, I decide what's good and bad... smart

The Clintons are one of the greatest examples of all this. They like the public to believe they are all about the environment, race relations, health care for all, but its a sham and they are clearly all about themselves and their ambitions first. That is the failure of today's progressive left in my opinion compared to years ago. Many of todays leftists put themselves first as opposed to the collective. They want the 60s ideology but the Porsche too. In this regard they are not truly altrusitic nor or they willing to make deep sacrifices. Its easy to be a revolutionary from the sofa or recliner. You can speel on with the rhetoric, feel good about yourself, but make no effort to move things along. I disagree about the media. For all the mindless reality shows geared towards a younger audience, our commercials are loaded with the classic rock that only we Boomers are really familiar with. There are more commercials for investments, aimed primarily at boomers, then ever before. Prime time shows are recycling some of the same types of legal, crime, and medical dramas that boomers grew up with in the 1970s only they are more graphic ofcourse. There is alot of media aimed at Boomers for sure. And they want our Boomer dollars! There are many bad trends in our society presently. I think Obama is correct that we desperately need some healing and some problem solving and some unity.

Anyone here feeling powerless right now to have any say in how we should raise our children IN OUR OWN HOMES WITHOUT GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE?

I'm serious. A teacher actually warned us that having my 14-year-old girl do at least one chore for the house was wrong!

Try grabbing you're very filthy-mouthed son by the hand and asking, "What did you say, MISTER?"

He tells someone about that and you have to face perfectly imperfect strangers who lecture you on touching kids and grabbing their attention.

I guess I'm a pervert for hugging the children and a dictator for asking for "Please" and "Thank you". Oh yeah, the really big one, they weren't speaking in universwity terms by the ago of one. "Globally delayed" by some "Experts'" terms, and they had a right to see the blue movies after midnight at age three, I guess.

Gee, I sound like my parents, but I want my kids and their friends to be nice to us as we age and babysit THEIR families, help with their mortgages and lend them money for dishwashers.

Prettymom, I've had the same thing happen with the County Health Dept, too. I demand too much from my children. They have to take on too much responsibility. Uh huh, God forbid that they're trained to become thinking, functioning adults.

As far as government interference (ok, this is why I never get into these political discussions. I cannot carry on a sane, unbiased discussion.) I think there are some people who have given their all to make change but have been prevented, or worse yet, penalized for it. I've had my children taken away from me before. Our son was born with kidney damage and all the doctors in the ER and peds floor knew him --- except the new resident who reported us for medical neglect because we must have 'caused' this. Our 9 yo son with borderline retardation was interrogated by DCFS without our consent or presence. Then they proceeded to demand entry into our house and wrote us up for environmental neglect. Of course the house was a disaster. We were living at the hospital in fear that our son was going to die while awaiting a life-threatening surgery! They tore our home apart and took our children --- and never once made a call to a single doctor or any of our references!!! It took us two months to get our kids back and we ended up in the State Central Registry as child neglectors!!! No, the government has every right to come in and take over my home and family --- as soon as it gets ITS OWN organizations in order and overthrows the Constitution! Ok, sorry, back to political oblivion. :rolleyes:

You know, I think Lee Marshall could probably explain something about an Ontario Medical Examiner who wasn't qualified to certify causes of death in infants up here, and hundreds ofparents lost their kids to our version of CPS because they guy said the parents caused their "SIDS". The truth is, there still really isn't a concrete, absolute cause for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

(Oh yes, one of my kids has a kidney disease inherited through the family. But we were lucky enough to have the best of care and he's doing very well.)

Today, the old bum sounded very shaky on the stand when sentenced to jail and apologized profusely for what he has done. Did you know that many American and Canadian CPS Agencies are corporations and NOT governmental bodies? Did you know that doctors are often heavily monied for reporting so-called "dangerous parents?"

Bring backthe family, honest values and fair treatment for parents, please! It's not easy giviing birth, and it's hell having to look over your shoulder.

I'm not even convinced that people care about right or wrong anymore unless it's for their own purposes (corporate or otherwise.) I see kids being dumbed down all the time in all aspects of their lives. And the professionals who encourage the parents to do this are cutting corners to save money! It's not worth doing the right thing if there's no profit in it, or so it sure seems. In terms of DCFS, they HAVE to find parents guilty of something because they have to have cases in order to get paid for the caseload! Ironic that they have to find something wrong to get paid yet doctors have to say that NOTHING is wrong to cut back on insurance expenses and get kickbacks. When I was on a county board started by the Health Dept for juveniles/adolescents with mental illness we were asked what the families needed. We spoke up (boy did we speak up!) We identified what the children need in order to receive apporpriate care and what the families need in order to keep things on track. Their response --- they closed the board becuase this would have meant more work and more funding into the public!!! Well, it seems I'm progressing right past jaded, doesn't it? LOL

America has been swallowed in ego, greed, and selfishness. Not to mention mindlessness. Aint it a shame, the partys over?

Sadly, it is not only America folks. We have the same problems here. In the last few days there have been 2 murders by 14 year old kids. Separate ones I might add. And a 15 year old is murdered because a man finally had got sick of kids tagging his fence.

I'm not sure whether it is the baby boomers who are to blame but the next generation as from what I see it is that generation that has tossed out respect, taking responsibility and caring. Now as in the past I see what I suspect as the baby boomers on this board concerned at what is happening and taking the "rap" when many of you have worked very hard at trying to instill good, social values into your kids, often to have them thrown in your face.

Yes, we have often said lots and done little, but I suspect politicians and Govt departments have stifled our attempts. We here in New Zealand anyway.

Don't be too hard on yourselves, but don't give up trying to "do" things that will make a difference.

Muzza cool

San... you're right! Guess who make up the largest number of eligible coters in Canda, U.S.A. Great Britain and alot of other westernized countries demographically? Boomers! People born between 1945 to 1966 or so.

And as an electorate who should have been out coting to keep a lot of our honesty, integrity, financial security and family rule, too many of us neglected to vote and allowed a bunch of politicos misled by strange university sociology studies.

Pimply-faced grads. going house to house saying you can't admonish your kids to come in after dark, grads. who take over your job when retire and call your house for advice 'cause they didn't go up through company ranks, and even doctors who haven't much nutrition education!

Wel, we're still relatively young, our generation is a lot fitter in some waqys than our parents, and we haven't lost much intellectually, so we CAN take back the reins!

We'reliving longer, and even the medical community is seeing a marked increase in women going into menopause later! (But I still like Eric Carmen, David Cassidy and don't grab all the young guys I see.)

New def. for menopause: The time it takes to rest between our "cougar-chased" men. About a minute.)

At least the Orientals have a deeper respect for the older generation.

As posted by Raspberrywine:

Quote:
Its easy to be a revolutionary from the sofa or recliner.
So true, RW! Great comment! Your whole post makes a lot of sense to me as well!

PC has given rise to a lot of faulty and downright poor judgment. I feel sorry for my students. Society is going to be responsible for a lot of confused, disillusioned young adults when it becomes their turn to take their place in the world.

frown --Darlene