Carpenters - Great band, or troublemakers?

Dougjack

If you love the Carpenters, how can you not love Paul Williams, the songwriter behind many of their hits? I'd recommend checking out some of Paul's recordings -- many of which sound like Karen should have sung them, understandably she wasn't able to. He's not a good singer (by any standards) but his songs are just amazing and they transcend his limited abilities to sing them.

Bernie

Wow.

I leave town on business (Charlotte, Columbus, and Oklahoma City, not freaking Finland (must have been a nice shoot, Bernie)!), take my eyes off the board for a few days and all hell breaks loose.

Honestly, I was just killing time at work with "We've Only Just Begun" stuck in my head when I Googled the list of hits and wrote the darn post.

And now it's gone, all gone! Like Ralphie's Christmas turkey!

I was flattered when the post kept bobbing to the toppermost of the postermost, but quite honestly quit reading after a while.

And I thought all the action was because you liked me ... you really liked me!

BooHoo...

"Keith"

If you love the Carpenters, how can you not love Paul Williams,

Bernie

EXACTLY..... PW is the genius behind so much great pop from 1968-1973...

it is the heart & soul of the artist that you hear on :

"out in the country"

"old fashioned love song"

"you & me against the world"

"we've only just begun"

"rainy days & mondays""

"i won't last a day without you"

and other lesser known gems:

"rose"

"traveling boy"

"waking up alone"

"little girl"

this is PURE Paul Williams at his best

The man can indeed write, but really should have stayed away from a microphone (imo). Rainbow Connection was a great song! Marv, do you remember which Carpenter's album it was on? I didn't find it on any of mine. I only have the Kermie version.

Well I don't know if "Rainbow" was ever 'officially' released, but here is some info I found on a Carpenters site:

AS TIME GOES BY - Finally released in the U.S. on Tuesday April 13, 2004 after having been released in Japan in 2001. This collection of rarities has become a favorite with Carpenters fans around the world. Songs like "Rainbow Connection", "California Dreamin'", and "Leave Yesterday Behind" make this album an essential.

ENDQUOTE

Marv

This goes in the "6 degrees of Paul Williams" category. As late as the 80's or 90's (last time I saw him) my neighbor across the street in west L.A. was Paul's band leader. His name is Chris Caswell. Don't know if they are still together or not. Kirk.