Getting my store ready

JuliaD

Wow, I've been busy the past week or so. My store was inspected by the zoning board, and I got my first "violation", lol! :rolleyes:

BEHIND my work table, totally hidden and being unused and ignored, is an electrical outlet. I stress again, this thing is totally hidden behind cabinetry. The zoning guy pulled my cabinets away from the wall and fined me 50 bucks because the outlet is 5 feet 9 inches from my sink and isn't "grounded". Anything within 6 feet has to be grounded. No, it didn't matter to him that no one informed me of this rule, or that my store isn't even open yet, these are the kinda people you just fork over the money to and don't argue (or next time they'll find something else wrong just for spite). I just paid the 50 and said (smiling) "anything else I need to correct?". So, that was it, my hubby has to put in a ground fault outlet. No big deal, but I still think they suck for fining me over it when I'm new to the business, they coulda at least gave me 2 days to fix it or something. *sigh*

Now the only big issue is the dept. of agriculture guy coming. I'm pretty well versed on their rules, and I think my butt's covered, but who knows? confused:P

I ordered $300.00 worth of DecoPac stuff for my cakes, and just got a $500.00 order in today of cake and icing mixes. I'm running out of space to fit it all. spin

thanks. I heard my first "horror story" about my nearest competition, a cake shop about 3 blocks down the road from me. Her cakes are good, and she's got a nice business going, but I had someone tell me yesterday that she requires a week's notice on ANY orders. They said they always bought cakes from her, spending about 50 bucks a month at her shop. They realized a few weeks ago that they forgot to order cupcakes for their daughter's school, and they phoned her and said they needed 2 dozen cupcakes in 3 days... and the owner said "no way"! She refused to accept the order, she told the lady "you know my rules, I require a week's notice". The lady said "I spend a lot of money at your shop, and you have 72 hours for 2 dozen cupcakes, can't you help me out?"... and she said no!!!

I pray I am able to stay more humble than that, and that I will always see "the bigger picture", and help my customers out, even if I have to put in a few extra hours. I can't even imagine a scenario where someone says "I need this, please help!", and my reaction is "too bad". Success is measured in more than one way, and even if this lady is successful monetarily, if this is how she treats people, chances are, she's not as successful as she could be. Hopefully I will stay more centered than she apparently is.

Julia, You're very personable and kind, and your customers will just LOVE that! Also, your best asset is your quick mind and inventive, creative ideas, which you execute BEAUTIFULLY! No worries for you with this endeavor! The electrical outlet is just an annoying "pebble" in your shoe on the road to success!

smile --Darlene

Man, am I getting hungry reading about all the things you make! They all sound so good - I think I'd have a hard time eating them after seeing how beautiful they are. You really put a lot of effort and caring into each one. That kind of dedication shows through... and I'm sure it will make you successful.

good luck Julia.Yes the dreaded dept of Agriculture.

For years I sold and installed the very equipment

that you probably just purchased.Pennsylvania was always tough on product labeling, not to scare you..

Weights and Measures were always strictly enforced in Pa.write me if you have any questions.Im up on all the rules.... crazy

Danny

Actually there is something you might be able to help me out with. Have you ever heard of a company called Spicebarn from Powell, Ohio? I was looking for different flavored extracts online and came across their website, some of their extracts and flavorings sound good, and they're not that pricey. Do you know anything about them?

spice barn