Were these stores local or national or local???

hollies65

Zayres was around the country I think - I remember that name.

I loved a good lunch counter.....

You know the Mel's Diners in Florida closed down - the guy was passing back checks and got arrested - it's too bad it was kinda fun to go to the first year it opened here.

Zayre's was in Maryland but I don't remember any lunch counter there. However, I do recall the counters at People's Drug Store.

It was always a treat to sit at the counter or in the booths.

Does anyone remember paper straws? You had to tear off the end once in awhile because it got too soft. Boy have we come a long way!

I recall hearing of Zayres although there were none in the part of PA where I live. It's a bit scary listing all of the chain stores that did business in the area and are no more thanks to Wal-Mart: Ames, Hills, Jamesway, G.C. Murphy, Montgomery Ward, and so forth. The mom of one of tthe guitar players from my bar band days used to work at the lunch counter of G.C. Murphy's at the Regency Mall in Indiana, PA - the food was OK... smile

Hey James, do you remember the Lazarus department store in Columbus? Always loved their lunch counter, or counters as I seem to recall they had seven floors. Toys on the top floor, a great place for an seven year old around Christmas! Wow, that was the late Fifties. Seems like only yesterday.

Yeah Reid, Lazarus was the Marshall Fields of Columbus. My mom bought all our clothes there, and at Marshall Fields (she was from Chicago and would trek there periodically). Heading downtown with our mom to shop at Lazarus ( especially the lunch part!!) was a treat for a kid from the suburbs (Upper Arlington).

You all, I'll be away from the messageboard for a spell, so please don't hang me if I don't respond to a post..

wink

My grandmother worked at Gimbels. Most Saturdays when she was working my Mom would round all 5 of us kids up and we'd go visit with Grandma and then go to the lunch counter there. It was great. They served the best grilled hot dogs on a toasted bun. Yum !

Zayres and Grants are the only ones that ring a bell here, but a faint one at that.

I remember Zayre's in upper New York state when Herman and I were first married (21 years ago). The store was cool but don't remember a lunch counter.

I think a lot of these stores were national chains. Especially Newberry's. It was like Kresge (S.S. Kresge, pronounced KRESS' gee). I think that was the forerunner of K-Mart.

Newberry's was in our mall in East Brunswick and there was one in New Brunswick but I don't think they had a lunch counter here either. Maybe only those in the midwest offered lunch counters. My girlfriend's first job (at age 17) was in JJ Newberry's and they gave her a clear plastic purse because they wouldn't allow her to carry her own at work. Of course that was 44 years ago.

:-)

JC Penney here had a great restaurant in East Brunswick but they did away with it and remodeled that part of the store, throwing everyone out of work when I was first married.

Never heard of Uncle Bill's, seem to have vaguely heard of Giant Tiger.

WT Grant was a store that went out of business here. E.J. Korvette was a HUGE department store with the best classical music section I ever remember anywhere--HUGE!!! All of my old classical vinyl was purchased there. Great prices too!

I miss the good old dept stores.

Nanci Griffith sings about a Woolworth's store and simulates the elevator ding on the guitar in "Love at the Five and Dime" on her cd.

smile --Darlene