Billy Joel weds

Matthew C. Clark

CENTRE ISLAND, N.Y. (AP): Singer-songwriter Billy Joel married his fiancee, 23 year old Kate Lee, in a ceremony Saturday at his Long Island mansion, his record label said. Joel, 55, wed Lee in a sunset wedding at his waterfront home, Newsday reported in its online editions. Columbia Records, Joel's label, announced the marriage Saturday night. A spokeswoman for Joel could not immediately be reached for comment. Joel, who was previously married twice, include to supermodel Christie Brinkley, has had more than two dozen Top 10 hits, including his signature song Piano Man, which was released in 1973 and became a hit the next year. Last month, Joel's star was placed on Hollywood Boulevard in front of the Pantages Theatre, where the Tony Award winning musical based on his songs, Movin' Out, is playing through Oct. 31. He is also a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Kate Lee, a native of Huntington, West Virginia, recently graduated from Ohio's Miami University and works as a restaurant correspondent for the PBS show George Hirsch: Living It Up! She and Joel began dating last year, according to Newsday. Matt

Got mixed feelings about this......I certainly hope Billy and the Mrs. are happy.....but this seems to be as hasty as something Britney Spears had done.....

As for the songwriting, that is the tell-tale sign. Billy has not come up with anything in years, save for a few classical piano compositions.....should be interesting to see if the new love will spark any inspiration....it does for all good songwriters.

I¥m 37 and I¥m in the musical age I want tobe.Eveybody¥s free to be in the musical era they want to be,I think,Why can¥t a person who for example is young in the Rap age being a hippie or a person who is young in the soft AC era being a Glam Rocker or a person who is young in the New Wave era being an AOR fond or viceversa?If you are young in the age of AOR not neccessary being an AOR or if is the Rap era no neccessary to be a rapperr,I think.

It's Billy's daughter Alexa Ray about the same age as the new wife? It gets kind of creepy when dad starts hitting on your friends. Even scarier when he starts marrying them! Hope the new wife is smart enough not to have a daughter with Billy - or he'll be getting married to HER 20 year old friend in the year 2025!

I'm 47 and my wife of 18 years is 41 and I thought we had a age gap.

I have seen Billy Joel in concert more than any other act and he has never disappointed. For those that think he is just mellow a/c it's not accurate. The last time I saw him a few years ago in Seattle he actually did a Led Zepplen medley that was amazing.

Am I the only one here who married someone younger than them (as in, the woman is older than the male?).

I met my husband in University. I was forced to take one first year computing course in order to graduate, so in my very last semester, I HAD to take an 8 am Mon, Wed, Fri computing course with all the first year dweebs. My husband showed up 2 weeks late from Australia, so sat next to me in class and asked to borrow my notes. YIKES. I just didn't want this dweeb latching on to me - I already had a younger brother who was also starting Uni at the same time, and didn't need two helpless males using me for everything from grocery shopping to doing their laundry.

Fortunately, my husband wasn't helpless, and had taken 4 years off from school to make money for university, so he was almost the same age as me. Only 9 months seperate us.I realise it's not a big age difference between us - I like to tease him that his parents were having a lot more fun the night I was born than my mother was (as his mom was getting pregnant that night!). I can't imagine marrying someone so much younger - think of all the cultural references you'd not understand. Billy's wife wasn't even born when his first albums came out. Things he lived through are history to her. Anyone want to give odds on how long you give this marriage? Longer than Britney and Kev?

Michelle,

Believe it or not...my marriage is wonderful:) even with the 48-24 age gap. We've been together since she was 19. I was single..never married until we wed. I had my Master's degree and was on my way to a doctorate before she was born.

On a scale of 1-10 the generational difference has an effect of perhaps 2. As I got older..my girlfriends tended to stay around the same age (mid-late 20's). She was a tad young when we met...but we clicked instantly and have been in love ever since.

She will be rocking with me at the Berries concert!

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Michelle, My husband is three years younger than I am. I thought I had really robbed the cradle! A friend of mine, a violin professor, married one of his ex-students, and she is about 22 years younger than he. They are very happy and have a 14 year old daughter. His other children are 40 and 38. Now, I would be a bit concerned if he became interested in one of his daughter's friends when she's about 20, but I'm sure that will never happen...because he'll be 74 by then...

smile --Darlene

I always say that us girls should go for guys much younger than us - guys hit their sexual peak at 18, and we hit ours in our mid-30s (that's what the medical experts say - don't blame me guys!). My husband's mom had him at 17, so her and her friends were in their mid-30s when my husband was 18. I always said he should have been hitting on his mom's friends. He's so grossed out by this!

Truthfully, it goes against biology for a 20 year old woman to be with a 60 year old man (Hugh Hefner, Billy Joel, etc., are all examples of this). Biologically, it should be the other way around. Cher is doing the right thing by dating all those young guys. Guess I gotta dump my old man and start hanging around the high schools! laugh

• 4 weeks later...