What Is Your Pet Peeve?

The NH Bushman

Everyone has a pet peeve! In fact, I have several! lol

I'll tell you one which has been bothering me a lot lately. This one really gets me - people not looking where the heck they are going! It always amazes me how people will actually walk right into me although I'm in plain sight and not small! Invariably, they are looking off to the side and walking ahead not paying attention. The other people I don't get are the ones who blindly enter a space without checking if its clear beforehand! I've bounced several teen girls off my chest as they launched themselves from 7-11 stores without looking! The other day I passed a kid riding a bicycle on his left (we were both riding). I whistled to let him know I was riding past him, and yet he turned dead into me, hard left, without warning. Man, he went down like a SPAMMER's email account! I told him to watch the road, so maybe it will sink in while he's rubbing his knees!

Similar to your gripes, Michael, I can't stand it when groups of people on sidewalks are so busy visiting, or are so rude, that they don't move aside to make way for anyone coming the other direction. Unlike you, I am not big, but I wish I could just bulldoze through them sometimes. Also related to this is when parents don't bother to rein in toddlers, who through no fault of their own, end up as stumbling blocks for other pedestrians. My other pet peeve is reckless drivers, which covers most of California's drivers these days, it seems - speeders, tailgaters, those that change lanes every two seconds thinking they're gaining but end up at the next intersection at the same time as everyone else, etc.

I feel my tension rising even now!

My biggest peeve lately is people not holding the door open for you when they go through right ahead of you, and instead letting it slam in your face. With a little boy, stroller, purse, diaper bag, etc., having someone hold the door at the store or mall sure is nice, but it rarely happens. If someone is rude enough to walk through and let it slam shut after them, I usually yell, "Thanks for holding that door for me!" after them. Most times they don't even pay attention, but I hope that a few get the idea. Even my son - aged 2 - holds the door for people. At least he's being trained to have manners, although he's going to be a rare breed!

Also:

- People who take up 2 parking spots, especially in a crowded parking lot, so that there are no spaces available.

- People who park sideways across 3 or 4 parking spots because they have a big expensive car that they don't want scratched, and $$ is no object, so they'd rather get the ticket. Makes me want to run my key down the side of their car for their troubles.

- People who park in handicapped parking spaces who aren't handicapped. Some of us ARE, and it's nice to be able to park close to where we're trying to get to.

- People who believe that turn signals are optional when driving. I've seen more people change lanes and not signal. "Yeah, through ESP I knew that you were planning to turn into that lane, so there was no reason at all to use your turn signals." (heavy biting sarcasm there) People in Ontario are so bad at not using turn signals that when I first moved here I actually asked people if they were an option on cars (like air conditioning or a CD player).

- At work, people who say things like, "I won't do that, it's not in my job description." Also, I work with one person who refuses to talk to you on her breaks. So, if you ask her a question, she just looks away and refuses to answer you. If you want to 'get away from it all' on your lunch hour, then go away! Don't sit at your desk and refuse to answer a simple question that would take 1 second. In the time it takes you to say, "I won't answer you're *ucking question, I'm on my break", you COULD have answered the stupid question!

- People who agree to everything you say, then behind your back complain to everyone about the way you did something. For example, if you ask around it the green paper for the memo is a good idea, and everyone agrees with you, you shouldn't hear later on someone in that group complaining loudly about what a terrible color choice it was. You had your chance to speak up. Now forever hold your peace!

- When you live in an apartment building and people play music really loud, or at inappropriate times, or have really loud sex (on a squeeky bed), or cook nasty smelling food, or smoke dope so much that there's a blue haze in the hallway to the apartment building. Can you tell I've had some crappy neighbours over the years?

OOOOh. There's just so many! I'm just getting warmed up now. Let me think about it - I'm sure I can come up with a few hundred more! Can you tell I get peeved pretty easily at times?

Using turn signals seems to be optional here in California also. arrgh

I like shooting out their tires with my gun when they don't signal. Sure, their car spins out and rolls a few times, but if they are wearing their seatbelts like they are supposed to, I leave them with only minor injuries...and something to think about the next time they change lanes.

Pet peeve addressed...

My Pet Peeve is> Allowing apt buildings to smoke

throught the building when your Cancer Society

tacks up a NO SMOKING SIGN.

Then notice a smoker that went by and left behind

a trail of stench tobbacco.

Or when you go to a mall, the entrance has a bench which allows smokers to smoke and blow it out while customers are entering the building.

Or, when your walking ahead on the sidewalk to get to your destination, a walker walks right in allignement with youa nd does not move, therefore,

you have to move.

To the right Or left.

They can see your coming.

Oh, don't get me started! My biggest pet peeve in the world is law enforcement officers who drive like maniacs, cut cars off and, when they end up on a median or wreck their police cars, look around for the 1st available person to blame it on. It happened to me, and after several trips to court, I got exonerated, but it was a terrible pain. We had two officers lose police cars because they were speeding--home to LUNCH! One was a senior officer's son, who wrecked a truck and didn't even get a ticket.

My next door neighbor's car was hit by a speeding policeman, who stopped and had the nerve to give the guy a ticket for parking in front of his own house! I predicted to the Chief that if his officers were so out of control with a car, I didn't even want to think about those hotdogs having a GUN! I predicted to him that one of them would shoot someone and kill, and that's what happened. After relentlessly pestering the chief to get them under control, he finally did.

Yuck!

frown --D

Auto related pet peeves are very common. My blood pressure goes up every time there is a line of cars getting on the freeway, and some bozo jumps around (over the solid line) to the left before the merge and tries to zoom by the cars in front of him. Where do they expect the cars to go who haven't finished the merge and have no where to go? Or, just the opposite scenario, you're in the right lane waiting to get off the freeway, and some relative of the clown from above darts around you (over the solid line) and passes you on the right as you are merging onto the off ramp. Or, how about inconsiderate drivers who cut you off (try leaving enough space for safe driving on California freeways) so you have to put on your brakes? Do you think this same person would just jump in front of you in the line at McDonalds? If they did they would probably get thrown out of line or get pounded! Yet, they think nothing of doing this in their car because they feel protected and unaccountable. Oh, I could go on and on, but I think I will go hunting for an inconsiderate driver to pound on. Kirk.

I see a couple things in common among my pet peeves, and Tony's and Kirk's -- they're all driving related, and we're all in California! Any of us can tell you, California's roads are beyond dreadful in every way these days - maintenance (constantly being widened, repaired, or in tatters waiting for repair), overwhelming traffic (either at a standstill or at 90 mph with only about one car length between cars), and every imaginable form of inconsiderate or downright criminal driving. I see people pull stunts on the freeway nearly every time I'm out that absolutely astound me - it's clear they don't care about anyone else's safety, but it's also as if they have zero concept that they're on the brink of their own death or mortal injury.

Another one of mine is - not thinking ahead. A great deal of my time is spent reminding people of things they should already know, so they can think ahead and can complete my projects on time. I find that I have to do the thinking for way too many people. They seem content to just muddle along day by day until each and every problem rears its head in linear fashion, and they deal with them, one at a time. Of course, this adds so much time to the process when proper advanced planning would reduce time and actually make the work easier.

Which reminds me of my favorite all time bumper sticker I had made for me 25 years ago:

It simply said, "Plan Ahead". But the last 3 letters were smaller and scrunched in and under the others because they ran out of room!

A classic!

I should make one of those in Chinese. In fact, I should make that a t-shirt.

Similar to your gripes, Michael, I can't stand it when groups of people on sidewalks are so busy visiting, or are so rude, that they don't move aside to make way for anyone coming the other direction.

That happens all the time too. When I'm walking with my wife I'm very aware of doing that to other people. I often ask her to just walk ahead of me so we can go single file (plus, I really enjoy the view, hehe).

I'm going to say this, even though some may not like it - but one thing that bugs me is when mothers absolutely insist on trying to walk their almost-infant children, holding them by the hand, taking up lots of space and going very s l o w l y. The kid is stumbling all over the place and couldn't take 2 steps without mom's help, not to mention being in severe danger of getting trampled. These mothers seem oblivious to the pedestrian traffic trying to get around their impromptu walking lesson too. They really should carry their small children in cases like these.

What about people who enter some new space, and then stop directly in the entranceway while they get their bearings? This happens everywhere! A family will enter a store and stop right in the doorway while Dad looks at the signs. Real smart, Dad! Once I was on an escalator going down, when the people in front of me stopped immediately after stepping onto the floor in front of the escalator. I of course, had no choice but to bump right into them. They actually looked surprised. Real smart, Dad!

What about people in front who will not get off an elevator to let people in the back off at their floor? I've heard some actually say "this is not my floor" - to which I reply - "well, its my floor, and you are between me and the door - do the math." Its like they are too stupid to know you can get back on just by stepping through the deadly invisible doorway forcefield.

What about people who aren't smart enough to consider that someone might already be inside the elevator and wanting to get out when the door opens? That happens to me several times a week in my building. When I reach the bottom floor I stand right in front of the door and just wait while it opens. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will blindly walk right up to my feet and almost step on them before realizing that someone is inside. The other day I had my bike in the elevator going down. It stopped on another floor and a guy walked blindy in - you guessed it - right into my bike. I just watched him with that expression on my face I reserve exclusively for dumbasses. He excused himself and then backed out.

What about people.... let's save some for later!

It simply said, "Plan Ahead". But the last 3 letters were smaller and scrunched in and under the others because they ran out of room!

I had that poster in my bedroom for years when I was a teenager! It's probably still there, come to think of it. Strange how we both find it terribly amusing. I guess great minds think alike! laugh

Bushman,

I think the elevator problem might be an inherantly Asian problem (with apologies to anyone here who's Asian and doesn't do this). When I went to University I lived in an apartment building filled with people from Hong Kong. I could be standing alone on an elevator, and one person would get in and stand right pressed up against me, as if there were 25 other invisible people in there with us. It always creeped me out. Finally, I asked about it. I was told that there are so many people in Hong Kong that they automatically get in the elevator and move to the back, because chances are at the next stop there are going to be 30 other people trying to jam themselves in with you, so you might as well prepare for it now. I never got used to it - I grew up in a small town in Alberta that only had ONE elevator in the whole town - but I at least understood. They were the same walking on sidewalks - always right up against you, even if there was tons of empty space.

...but one thing that bugs me is when mothers absolutely insist on trying to walk their almost-infant children, holding them by the hand, taking up lots of space and going very s l o w l y

That's pretty cruel to the kids too. They get tired with those little legs of theirs - and no one wants a cranky toddler with them when they're trying to shop. Better to strap the little ankle-biters into a stroller with a sippy cup of apple juice, which allows you to move at the speed you want to, without tiring out 'Junior' and hearing a lot of screaming and whining (both mine and his) in the process. I've never been a big fan of carrying children when shopping - of course I have a massive blood clot in my leg, so it's not too feasible for me. Still, why wear yourself out when you can buy a $10 stroller from Wal-Mart and keep it in the trunk of the car for anytime you need it. The fancier strollers even have a cup holder for mom's coffee, and a basket underneth for coats, bags and other assorted junk.

Bushman,

I think the elevator problem might be an inherantly Asian problem (with apologies to anyone here who's Asian and doesn't do this).

Asia is crowded, for sure. There are cultural behaviors here which were developed because of overcrowding. One of those behaviors is to ignore everyone else. An example of this is - someone who will bomb past your right side on a scooter, only to slam on brakes directly ahead to pull into a 7-11 on the left. It would never occur to them to wait an extra 20 seconds going along behind you - because they want to go there and they want to go there right now! On the other hand, this tendency to ignore others makes drivers here a lot more tolerant of bad driving behavior than in the West. People walk in front of you, right across your path. If you are standing at the service window at the post office someone will without fail, reach across in front of you and place their item on the counter in front of the window, totally ignoring you and everyone else in line. Every day, someone demonstrates a total lack of awareness and interpersonal respect in some way. Another example - I was walking over to a food counter to select items from the cooler case, when a woman and 3 children rushed to the counter just in front of me, and slid into the space so I had to actually stop so I wouldn't step on them. It was very clear where I was going, and they were behind me and had to run to overtake me. As I was reaching for the tongs, her had shot over to them and grabbed them, just as my hand was outstretched to grasp them. I just said "ok.... you impolite country moron" and it didn't phase her one bit - she had her tongs and was selecting food utterly ignoring me. Once, when I was in line at the train station, a man walked over to me and literally stepped directly in front of me, put his back to me and assumed a position in line. I tapped him on the shoulder and gave him the thumb as in "get back there." He apologized saying that he didn't realize I was in line. I asked him if it was because I am a foreigner and he thought he didn't have to show respect for and be polite to a foreigner, and he just looked down.

Yeah, its different on the other side of the world. People don't realize what they are doing most of the time. They are conditioned.

I agree. I watched a lady walk with her grandaughter to school, this lady can walk great at speeds, she is about the same age as I am, the poor little girl, has to keep up with her with her little legs too.

I was furious, I was about about to to tell her to slow down, she has little legs, the little girl.

Bushman's explaination of Asians brought back my entire university experience. I lived in an apartment building made up totally of Asians practically right off the boat. I was always AMAZED at the utter rudeness - exactly as you described. Pushing past you, grabbing things you were about to take, running to take the last seat in a class when your bum was about to touch the seat. I was BIG at the time - I've since lost about 60 pounds - so to have me sit on them could be dangerous! laugh

When I moved to London to do my Master's degree, I was pleasently surprised that there were a lot fewer Asians, and hence the pace of my life slowed considerably, and my blood pressure returned to normal levels.

Not to say I have anything against Asian people. I worked in a pharmacy for 7 years that was run by Cantonese, and I was practically the only Caucasian there. I learned to speak some Cantonese, and became great friends with all the people I worked with. We went out to many dinners together, and I learned what real Chinese food was for the first time. They had just lived in Canada for a number of years and had adopted our ways - realising some of their former practises were considered rude here. One pharmacist went back to Hong Kong for vacation and came back with very high blood pressure. She said it was very stressful - the massive crowds, the pace of life, the rudeness she was no longer accustomed to. She was very happy to come home to Canada again. :p

Bushman - regarding the delux strollers with cup holders for mom's coffee and the basket on the bottom for packages, coats, diaper bags. etc.

My son is getting to the age now where we can go to the mall without his stroller. However, I really LIKE the stroller - forget for the kid - I like to be able to hang on (like a walker for old people - I put all my weight on it). As well, I put all my packages in it, my coat, backpack, etc. Much easier than trying to balance all that stuff, or wearing a heavy coat and sweating while shopping. Even when the kid is a teenager I'll probably be taking the stroller with me. Where else can I put down my coffee to check out the latest fashions? laugh

The other day my son was forced to walk home while I pushed several thousand dollars of Brio Train gear to my house. My neighbour thought it made her house messy, so she was going to throw it out. Had I not had a way to get it home, it would be taking up landfill space now. There's no way I could have carried that quantity of stuff.

Bushman - regarding the delux strollers with cup holders for mom's coffee and the basket on the bottom for packages, coats, diaper bags. etc.

I like to be able to hang on (like a walker for old people - I put all my weight on it). As well, I put all my packages in it, my coat, backpack, etc. Much easier than trying to balance all that stuff, or wearing a heavy coat and sweating while shopping.

Hmmmm.... New product ideas are brewing here! Interesting concept Michelle smile